• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2023 at 10:57 AM, KirbyCollector said:

We'll see... every indicator I follow (I day trade) is telling me 2023 will be deflationary... will be interesting to see what happens to collectibles

isn't that baked into everybody's expectations at this point?   I guess its debatable, but I would hope no one is running around quite like its 2021 anymore.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, tth2 said:

The Bama Doc Savage cover painting went for $38k, less than I expected.

The Wrightson Frankie plates went for less than some expected. It wasn't long ago that people were trying to turn the "all of the originally published plates are now $100K-up" perception into reality. Hasn't quite worked out that way.

I don't know the JRJR/Williamson market at all, but, I'm told that some expected a lot, lot, lot higher on that splash yesterday. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/13/2023 at 10:40 AM, tth2 said:

It's one of the most iconic covers from the Cockrum run.

It's a great cover. Can't go wrong with the X-Men vs. the Sentinels. 2c 

The Cockrum X-Men #106 cover, with far weaker content for a fill-in/inventory issue, went for $144K only 8 months ago. Definitely some major price differentiation based on content. 

On 1/13/2023 at 11:06 AM, delekkerste said:

The Wrightson Frankie plates went for less than some expected. It wasn't long ago that people were trying to turn the "all of the originally published plates are now $100K-up" perception into reality. Hasn't quite worked out that way.

I don't know the JRJR/Williamson market at all, but, I'm told that some expected a lot, lot, lot higher on that splash yesterday. 

yes, I remember that wrightson plate 100k floor idea being bandied around here on these boards as well, a good number of years ago now.   Optimistic at the time!

On 1/13/2023 at 11:20 AM, delekkerste said:

It's a great cover. Can't go wrong with the X-Men vs. the Sentinels. 2c 

The Cockrum X-Men #106 cover, with far weaker content for a fill-in/inventory issue, went for $144K only 8 months ago. Definitely some major price differentiation based on content. 

That 106… I’m not a fan!    I love the 95 cover and thought that went cheap at the time (no wolverine discount I guess).

On 1/13/2023 at 9:06 AM, delekkerste said:

Wrightson has been escalating, both for OA and comics, with the recent boom in horror interest.  I thought the plates would go for $75K or thereabouts.  

On 1/13/2023 at 11:22 AM, buttock said:

Wrightson has been escalating, both for OA and comics, with the recent boom in horror interest.  I thought the plates would go for $75K or thereabouts.  

Sure, but the 100k floor thing… I think that was discussed at least five years ago!  (Someone please correct me if my timeline is off).    Well before those factors took hold as I recall. 

Edited by Bronty

On 1/13/2023 at 11:22 AM, Bronty said:

That 106… I’m not a fan!    I love the 95 cover and thought that went cheap at the time (no wolverine discount I guess).

Yeah, I thought the X-Men #95 cover was a very good deal at the time, especially since it sold for the exact same price as the ASM #151 cover in the same Heritage auction. I know a lot of people like that ASM cover, but, I'm not a fan - Spidey looks like he's 5'6" and 240 pounds of muscle. :whatthe:  

Not to mention, X-Men #95 is a far more notable issue (Death of Thunderbird) than ASM #151. Just my 2c, I know the Spidey brigade here will inevitably disagree even though this image speaks for itself:

image.thumb.png.8b859e81afa9c7b2f7f84a69de26d5b3.png

On 1/13/2023 at 9:23 AM, Bronty said:

Sure, but the 100k floor thing… I think that was discussed at least five years ago!  (Someone please correct me if my timeline is off).    Well before those factors took hold as I recall. 

That would be awesome if we could just put a floor on our art and let it be gospel.  I was more commenting on what I thought realistic prices would be.  What would Albert or Burkey price them at?  

On 1/13/2023 at 9:38 AM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, I thought the X-Men #95 cover was a very good deal at the time, especially since it sold for the exact same price as the ASM #151 cover in the same Heritage auction. I know a lot of people like that ASM cover, but, I'm not a fan - Spidey looks like he's 5'6" and 240 pounds of muscle. :whatthe:  

Not to mention, X-Men #95 is a far more notable issue (Death of Thunderbird) than ASM #151. Just my 2c, I know the Spidey brigade here will inevitably disagree even though this image speaks for itself:

image.thumb.png.8b859e81afa9c7b2f7f84a69de26d5b3.png

For the record, Spiderman 151 is one of the top bronze covers of all time IMHO.  Not quite at a Jungle Action 23 cover but pretty darn sweet.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:06 AM, delekkerste said:

Well, I suppose the consignor would expect much higher prices for the JR Jr DD splash, but I felt it may have hit $30K, and no more than that.

I think the results for pages from one specific DD issue (#261) has skewed valuations for DD artwork from other issues and as a result, skewed peoples' valuation of his DD work in general.  $30K for a JR Jr DD splash is a large chunk of change. 

Consider the three Romita Jr ASM covers that sold for $29K-39K each over the past year.  They were not the best JR Je ASM covers, but they are nice, and ASM is more highly collected than DD.

Turtles 8 cover for 78k… thoughts?    I might have expected higher but in fairness it’s not the first cover one would choose and it was noticeably  faded