• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2023 at 5:53 AM, batman_fan said:

My canary will be the Peanuts artwork.  I have one data point suggesting a softening in prices so this auction will be a second data point.  Will prices continue to soften?  Should be interesting to watch.  I think Peanuts artwork is a decent gauge because it seems pieces are offered in almost every auction and there is a pricing hierarchy based on age and content.

Peanuts were on the softer side but not a giveaway auction. 

6-5-53 = Charlie Brown being Charlie Brown.  Only one character but that classic early style.  A little on the low side at $33,600.  I thought closer to $40k

11-2-65 = $28,800.  So-so bit but about what those go for from this period.

7-2-88 = $14,400 Snoopy which is a plus but not the best bit.  These later strips are a challenge to price but maybe a little low

6-22-86 = $36,000. A little light on price given it is a Lucy as a psychiatrist Sunday but the bit wasn’t great.  I have seen dailies go for more than this one hammered at although they were from the 1970s. 

On 1/13/2023 at 2:11 PM, delekkerste said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wr2jmpdeuwpjrzzewd

They were in the last auction too.  This piece sold for $24k in Nov 2022.  A 1952 piece with that very early Schulz artwork and a great golf bit.

I expected at least $40k.  Why does it not reside in my collection you ask.  I had a meeting during the auction and got distracted :cry: 

DE630169-3AA1-474A-A92E-870745BC660D.jpeg

On 1/13/2023 at 4:18 PM, batman_fan said:

They were in the last auction too.  This piece sold for $24k in Nov 2022.  A 1952 piece with that very early Schulz artwork and a great golf bit.

I expected at least $40k.  Why does it not reside in my collection you ask.  I had a meeting during the auction and got distracted :cry: 

DE630169-3AA1-474A-A92E-870745BC660D.jpeg

those 50s pieces are magic

On 1/14/2023 at 3:38 AM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, I thought the X-Men #95 cover was a very good deal at the time, especially since it sold for the exact same price as the ASM #151 cover in the same Heritage auction. I know a lot of people like that ASM cover, but, I'm not a fan - Spidey looks like he's 5'6" and 240 pounds of muscle. :whatthe:  

Not to mention, X-Men #95 is a far more notable issue (Death of Thunderbird) than ASM #151. Just my 2c, I know the Spidey brigade here will inevitably disagree even though this image speaks for itself:

image.thumb.png.8b859e81afa9c7b2f7f84a69de26d5b3.png

Speaking of muscular Spidey's I never liked romita snr's Spidey.....way too muscular and chunky.....  Ditko Spidey all the way for me🤷

On 1/14/2023 at 5:29 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Wow!  Noticeable drop on the Bagley Venom/Spidey splash from the previous sales result!  Previously sold for 41K; today it went for $32.4K

$46K for the Sal Buscema Spec Spidey cover - Gobby vs Spidey

Ok....one example of a major price drop🙂

On 1/14/2023 at 2:41 AM, Bronty said:

Turtles 8 cover for 78k… thoughts?    I might have expected higher but in fairness it’s not the first cover one would choose and it was noticeably  faded

You expected higher?!  I was shocked by how high the price was!  

On 1/14/2023 at 4:54 AM, Michael Browning said:

The Miracleman 3 cover by Chaykin selling for JUST $36,000 had to be a big letdown for the seller. He offered it to me August 29 for $85,000 and said he had turned that amount down a year earlier. He approached me after I started showing some of the art I’d bought this year and offered it to me as bargain art at $85,000.

Assuming his claim is true, which I seriously doubt, it's a good reminder of the old saying:  "Pigs get slaughtered."   

On 1/13/2023 at 11:53 PM, tth2 said:

Sandman pages continue to soar, with the page from #4 going for $48k. It'll be interesting to see how the page from #14, from the Cereal Collectors Convention from the "Doll's House" arc, does in today's auction given that the arc featured so prominently in the new Netflix series (not that Sandman collectors needed a TV show to remind them what a great arc that was).

$20,400