• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Fantast Collection' Kick Starter 'Selling Superman' (#1 CGC 7.0 blue) documentary 2024
6 6

277 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2023 at 10:17 PM, Microchip said:

So talking with Harley, the collection contains a few books with approximately 100 copies in the collection.   These are from the time of the shop, so 70's books.   The one that stood out is Star Wars #1.

The movie he's looking to make, will be $15 a view, and he's expecting 150,000 viewers.   The consensus is that his friends will talk some sense into around this.   He's got a lot of close, and very old friends working with him on this venture.

I'm interested in the story and would watch just about any documentary on comics.

However, as the son (?) continues to try to milk every single angle for every single cent it puts a bad stink on the entire endeavor.

I haven't read any of the articles (only heard/read commentary here and elsewhere) but was the son originally a comic book enthusiast?

On 6/9/2023 at 6:49 PM, manetteska said:

I'm interested in the story and would watch just about any documentary on comics.

However, as the son (?) continues to try to milk every single angle for every single cent it puts a bad stink on the entire endeavor.

I haven't read any of the articles (only heard/read commentary here and elsewhere) but was the son originally a comic book enthusiast?

I don't think so. From the trailer I saw according to the son and his mother the dad locked up tight. It wasn't until his passing that they knew what was in there. They knew it was comics and cards but I don't think much more than that. I don't recall the son saying he was into comics at all.

Even back when he accumulated a lot that stuff it really wasn't "cheap" relative to the general cost of living and average wages. I don't know where he got the dough for the good stuff and still supported a family. 

On 6/9/2023 at 10:44 AM, N e r V said:

Just wait till your kids market and sell off your collection as the Mr. Roboto pedigree to Heritage…:nyah:

B6CE928A-EC54-4EDF-96F0-49A8CF4AFEE7.gif.87337ec7d69e65d7cc968c3b450eb4fb.gif

That is one of their listed options. They have been “educated”…

I seriously doubt anyone would give a rat’s arse or consider my collection any kind of a “pedigree”. 

On 6/9/2023 at 9:18 PM, Professor K said:

I don't think so. From the trailer I saw according to the son and his mother the dad locked up tight. It wasn't until his passing that they knew what was in there. They knew it was comics and cards but I don't think much more than that. I don't recall the son saying he was into comics at all.

Even back when he accumulated a lot that stuff it really wasn't "cheap" relative to the general cost of living and average wages. I don't know where he got the dough for the good stuff and still supported a family. 

I've watched a few interviews with the son over the past few months and his chosen narrative is that he didn't care about comics at all and possibly resented them because of his father's obsession. 

Regarding the dough to accumulate the collection, every explanation I've seen is that the father was a lawyer, as though being a lawyer automatically translates into being wealthy, which is obviously untrue. I'm not sure how he put that collection together and won't be paying $15 to watch the documentary to find out.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:36 PM, Robot Man said:

That is one of their listed options. They have been “educated”…

I seriously doubt anyone would give a rat’s arse or consider my collection any kind of a “pedigree”. 

I don't know. I'm aware of at least one other new collection coming to market soon that CGC is slapping pedigree labels on. Or at least a custom label, anyway. CGC is working all the angles to stick its brand wherever it can.

On 6/10/2023 at 5:03 AM, Ryan. said:

I don't know. I'm aware of at least one other new collection coming to market soon that CGC is slapping pedigree labels on. Or at least a custom label, anyway. CGC is working all the angles to stick its brand wherever it can.

I have seen a couple big books from this collection graded by CGC with a special “collection” label. Not a pedigree but a “collection”.

Is it possible (if you grease the right palms), for ordinary folk to have this done? 

On 6/10/2023 at 10:53 AM, Robot Man said:

Is it possible (if you grease the right palms), for ordinary folk to have this done? 

Seems like it.

On 6/10/2023 at 5:03 AM, Ryan. said:

If we're thinking of the same one, the barn find right? Some woman found 800 of her granddad's GA comics, and I *think* they're going to auction later this year and getting a custom sticker.

On 6/11/2023 at 4:44 AM, Aman619 said:

if it meets the stink test.  CGC isn't doing this for anyone off the street or that asks for it.  Plenty of folks asked and got nothing but a laurel and hardy handshake..

So no "From the Collection of Aman619", eh? :baiting:

On 6/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

If we're thinking of the same one, the barn find right? Some woman found 800 of her granddad's GA comics, and I *think* they're going to auction later this year and getting a custom sticker.

I'm thinking of the 300k book collection that Jeff the Golden Age Guru bought.

On 6/11/2023 at 1:09 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They are probably waiting until they finish the OnlyFans they are setting up to reveal a new book each day that is in the collection.  

Onlyfans huh?   Is every book spread wide open at the centerfold?

On 6/11/2023 at 3:39 PM, Bronty said:

Onlyfans huh?   Is every book spread wide open at the centerfold?

They would probably market it as a way to fully inspect and document  book as well as count pages / wraps. Making sure to comment on each flaw they notice. 

The suppleness of the paper. 

The aromatic scents breathing off of it.

Considering there are already things like factional shares and they have sexualized almost every aspect of it, is it really that far of a stretch to think someone would pay for you to tell them how dirty (or clean) your books are?

Add in this would be on a huge collection that some of the prospective buyers may actually want to see the books they will be bidding/ buying .

Well now a joke seems like it has potential to generate more income for those who already appear  are trying to extract every penny. 

Spoiler

:roflmao:

Add in hype of each day a new book! 

Slowly building up the suspense all while documenting condition, contents. 

Done right and on a good collection I am sure it would generate a lot of lookers, some subscriber and a lot of talk. 

Just setting up a website instead of using something like OnlyFans and doing this could potentially draw in a decent amount of revenue just from ad space through views. Especially if promoted through social media.  All building up to the eventual sale. Even document that on the site to continue to draw views / income.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:16 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Add in hype of each day a new book! 

Slowly building up the suspense all while documenting condition, contents. 

Done right and on a good collection I am sure it would generate a lot of lookers, some subscriber and a lot of talk. 

Just setting up a website instead of using something like OnlyFans and doing this could potentially draw in a decent amount of revenue just from ad space through views. Especially if promoted through social media.  All building up to the eventual sale. Even document that on the site to continue to draw views / income.

A good YouTube channel showcasing the books, and the progress of the collection through all the stages would have been popular enough, and got some ad revenue on it's own.  

The guy is in the old model.