• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need cash - prices dropped again - Keys: Thor, Iron Man, Vision, Falcon, Kang, and some golden, etc...
16 16

274 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2023 at 10:16 PM, thehumantorch said:

Never pay with paypal personal as there's no buyer's protection, here or anywhere else. 

CGC allows us to buy or sell here but they have nothing to do with policing it.  If someone doesn't follow through here as a buyer or a seller they can go on our probation thread and their reputation will be mud around here and they'll have trouble buying or selling.  It isn't perfect but I've done many many deals here and only had problems once.  And that was on a relatively small amount book from a long time boardie who suddenly disappeared and never came back.  I suspect something catastrophic happened to him.

oh man. I gotta check out the probation thread.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:43 AM, grendel013 said:

I gotcha. So PayPal is the safe way to transfer the money then as opposed to Venmo or CashApp? I'm just wondering how I get people to trust ME if I start listing stuff. My eBay account is growing but I'm thinking the biggest benefit to posting here is avoiding fees. I'm an honest guy but you guys don't know that. And I've met some scoundrels in my lifetime... LOL... so I know they out there.

Yeah I'd stick with PayPal Goods and service option for payment especially being new here it will give everyone involved a sense of security.

Very sorry to hear this.  I've made a handful of three figure purchases on the boards that all went well, two with returns.

I'd like to see the "Goods and services" stated specifically when sellers post saying they'll take PayPal.  Naive newcomers like me might not know the accepted practice.  I've even had sellers state on their invoice "if using the friends and families option in PayPal then be sure to include your e-mail so that ..." to hint that it's normal practice not to use Goods and Services.

• Administrator
On 3/21/2023 at 10:54 AM, RobHW said:

I'd like to see the "Goods and services" stated specifically when sellers post saying they'll take PayPal.  Naive newcomers like me might not know the accepted practice.  I've even had sellers state on their invoice "if using the friends and families option in PayPal then be sure to include your e-mail so that ..." to hint that it's normal practice not to use Goods and Services.

It is against forum guidelines to ask for Paypal friends and family via PM.  So, the PM can be reported if the customer wishes to do so.

8.  Forms of payments must be listed. PayPal "goods and services" is an acceptable payment method, but Personal PayPal, aka "friends and family," is not allowed. It is also against the rules to ask for Personal PayPal via private message.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, KryptoSpidey said:

Yeah I'd stick with PayPal Goods and service option for payment especially being new here it will give everyone involved a sense of security.

I appreciate this feedback. I guess I have to familiarize myself with PayPal as a seller. I've only used it to purchase items but never invoiced. Thanks!

On 3/21/2023 at 8:41 AM, Dr. Balls said:

This is the least sketchy place on the internet to buy and sell comic books. Lol.

You'll find more success in your future sales threads by being an active member of the community through participation and conversation. I can't speak for others, but I shy away from sales threads from newer members because if they only have a couple dozen posts, they likely don't know the expectations of the people here when it comes to grading, selling and packing. Everyone has to start somewhere, obviously, but for me - that's usually a couple hundred posts.

Although I do consider myself a niche collector, I do like the community aspect of this forum. At first glance it didn't appear to be so vast. As I've said in other posts, I don't mind being called "the Grendel Guy" so long as the community as a whole recognizes me at some point. I probably should start by entering my other slabs into the registry. Previously my focus was solely on my Grendel collection. I appreciate this feedback.

I will also add to the notion of the boards being the least sketchy place to buy and sell. Bad people are banned quickly. Hoping that is not the case here. As long as you never ask/never pay anyone requesting payment via Friends and Family (such people should be reported), you will be safe here.

In regards to this thread, I personally never like threads or posts where the lead is "I am in financial crisis, and need money". I get that there are reputable people who have legitimately been in such a scenario and sold stuff by leading with that info, but for me it is a personal turn off and could...COULD...be trying to appeal to potential buyers in two ways; by getting you to feel sorry for their situation and, potentially providing a reason why valuable items are being offered at a very good price. It is a classic way to scam people. And the smart comic book scammers have books....maybe they are their own, maybe stolen ones. So they come to a place like this, sell some legitimately, gain trust and then try to do what they can to scam (like this if it is the case) so they can walk away with 10k and still have the books so they can continue said scam in a year's time, on another platform or whatever.

Really hoping that is not the case but a sinking feeling is telling me it is here. Like I said, these instances here are usually few and far between but have happened. Perhaps something needs to be put in place where you need to be a member for "x" amount of years before you can start selling? I dunno......

Edited by comicginger1789

On 3/21/2023 at 1:08 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I will also add to the notion of the boards being the least sketchy place to buy and sell. Bad people are banned quickly. Hoping that is not the case here. As long as you never ask/never pay anyone requesting payment via Friends and Family (such people should be reported), you will be safe here.

In regards to this thread, I personally never like threads or posts where the lead is "I am in financial crisis, and need money". I get that there are reputable people who have legitimately been in such a scenario and sold stuff by leading with that info, but for me it is a personal turn off and could...COULD...be trying to appeal to potential buyers in two ways; by getting you to feel sorry for their situation and, potentially providing a reason why valuable items are being offered at a very good price. It is a classic way to scam people. And the smart comic book scammers have books....maybe they are their own, maybe stolen ones. So they come to a place like this, sell some legitimately, gain trust and then try to do what they can to scam (like this if it is the case) so they can walk away with 10k and still have the books so they can continue said scam in a year's time, on another platform or whatever.

Really hoping that is not the case but a sinking feeling is telling me it is here. Like I said, these instances here are usually few and far between but have happened. Perhaps something needs to be put in place where you need to be a member for "x" amount of years before you can start selling? I dunno......

Is it also possible for CGC to include a "warning" flag in their registry? I know that more people look up certification numbers in the registry  now that grader notes are available. In the past I don't think it was utilized as much because hey, the book is graded and certified, what's to look up right? But if CGC perhaps included a warning flag (e.g. the slabs available on this post) folks would know if they should be suspicious. And it would definitely help if the books were truly stolen.  I just finished registering all my slabs so if they go missing I have another layer of proof that I'm the owner. I know CGC maintains this because I recently bought a book and tried to register and couldn't because it was still registered under the previous owner. They reached out to him and asked him to delete so I could enter. The system only works if everyone uses, but I'm on board.

I bought a big book from him in January using PayPal G&S and he shipped it promptly without issue. I also paid him for the JIM 83 last Wednesday using PayPal G&S. I always use PayPal G&S for this very reason. I have no concerns about recouping my funds. I wonder if the seller even realizes how buyer protection works with PayPal G&S. 

On 3/21/2023 at 1:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

CGC has no interest in policing the marketplace here. It was a courtesy added, and it’s up to the community to police itself.  I think it does a pretty good job weeding out the riff raff

I guess you're right. I just wonder how Pawn Shops know when items with serial numbers like watches are stolen. I guess they have access to police databases. The one pawn broker mentioned a "website" but maybe that was specific to the watch maker themselves. Idk.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:49 AM, ramithard said:

So with Paypal goods and services......Does Paypal keep the money from the seller until you verify that you received the item?.....asking as a rookie

No. Seller still gets paid instantaneously in their Paypal account as soon as you pay. The only difference is that in the even you don't receive the item/something happens to it, you are able to request a return of the funds you paid through paypal. Think of it as a 3rd party insurance/guarantee in the event you never receive it/etc.

To my understanding, PP can also place a hold on the funds in the sellers account and once proof of shipment (tracking #) is entered in the system by the seller and proof of delivery is confirmed via the tracking #, then the funds get released into the PP sellers account.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, Black_Adam said:

...but vanished from the boards in 2016, only to reappear with this thread in January.

I’m following along.   I was responding to the idea of having sellers be a member for x-amount of time before selling.