• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

March 2023 heritage signature auction
5 5

450 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2023 at 3:03 PM, NinjaSealed said:

There seems to be a steady decline in pre live bidding at heritage over the past year or so. Prices now mean as little as ever.

Definitely saw a lot of that during the last auction.  Huge run ups on a lot of items.  I have started exclusively waiting until the live auction to place any real bids.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:18 PM, batman_fan said:

Definitely saw a lot of that during the last auction.  Huge run ups on a lot of items.  I have started exclusively waiting until the live auction to place any real bids.

It doesn't make much sense in most cases to bid early. It just drives the base price higher until the hot part of the auction starts, and then it starts from a higher base.

I will make an exception for cheap pieces that are likely to command little attenton. A proxy which rises helps keep out the bargain hunters, IMO, who drive up the price thinking they may score something special. Once they realize there is a proxy, they should logically back off because they could be stuck with a non-bargain.

I put in a test bid to see how long I'll be the highest bidder on one particular page. Sure enough within 30 mins I was outbid. It just tells me that the page I'm going for is expected to go pretty high. I'm hoping that's not the case. But it looks like that's where it's going. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:46 PM, AlexG_art said:

I put in a test bid to see how long I'll be the highest bidder on one particular page. Sure enough within 30 mins I was outbid. It just tells me that the page I'm going for is expected to go pretty high. I'm hoping that's not the case. But it looks like that's where it's going. 

I have done that a few times. I stopped when I realized I didn’t really want to know, and it still gives other prospective bidders time to adjust their thoughts and raise their potential bidding level. I think some bidder just did what you did recently on a piece I am watching.