• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s OFFICIAL Mechanical Errors / Returns Policy
11 11

433 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2023 at 6:30 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

Obviously, some scratches are on the outside.  I've had a handful that were.  But you are also 100% right.  I've cracked open two.  The scuffing is on the inside, on the sealed bag.  They do not wipe off, so it's not really smudges, but actual scratches/blemishes from something.  Has to either be an issue when the bags are manufactured, or when they are handling / sealing.  Something is damaging them, though.  

When I was really frustrated by this issue I called CGC and when I questioned whether the inside sealed bag was being changed out during a reholder I was assured that it was. Evidence suggests otherwise, and I believe that what you are saying is actually the case. If they have defective inner sealed bags the way to fix it is to swap those out, but doing so is probably time consuming and it presents a risk of damaging the comic. The easier approach is to just swap the case and leave the comic in the sealed bag, but if that is where the damage is this approach does absolutely nothing, or worse than nothing if the inner bag is scuffed even more in the process. 

On 5/27/2023 at 9:22 PM, Gaard said:

Do/did you notice them without the comic inserted? I'm wondering if those guys can notice them before they are used in the encapsulation process.

Yes, they look exactly the same.  I'll send some pictures when I get a chance 

Even were that the case, they should be corrected once encapsulated and they see them

On 5/28/2023 at 7:25 PM, Tcarroll17 said:

Yes, they look exactly the same.  I'll send some pictures when I get a chance 

Even were that the case, they should be corrected once encapsulated and they see them

Sorry, after reading this again I think I might have misunderstood.

You still notice it when it is out of the slab, but yes I would say it is less noticeable once the comic is physically out of the bag.  Can still see it, but definitely the comic makes it more prominent than when the comic is not in the bag, harder to see for sure 

On 5/27/2023 at 9:42 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe it’s not that QC is missing these things, but that what we are seeing is the new acceptable.

It’s starting to seem more plausible that the QC crew isn’t missing these things, but maybe just following new protocol and allowing these to pass.

I have been beating this drum for awhile. These aren’t thousands of mistakes. That specific banding I have been able to get off with a micro cloth and a lot of elbow grease. I believe it to be caused by the awful bags they put them in and the vibrations from shipping. You can typically see the same pattern on the bag. 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:19 AM, Stefan_W said:

When I was really frustrated by this issue I called CGC and when I questioned whether the inside sealed bag was being changed out during a reholder I was assured that it was. Evidence suggests otherwise, and I believe that what you are saying is actually the case. If they have defective inner sealed bags the way to fix it is to swap those out, but doing so is probably time consuming and it presents a risk of damaging the comic. The easier approach is to just swap the case and leave the comic in the sealed bag, but if that is where the damage is this approach does absolutely nothing, or worse than nothing if the inner bag is scuffed even more in the process. 

This makes so much sense.   I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I think you are spot on.  I know of a few other posters that had sent them back multiple times and had the same scuffing, I don't know if it was exactly the same or not.  But that would make total sense, if they are doing a new slab, but not a new sealed bag.  The scratching stuffing is on the sealed bag, there is no question, so changing the slab would do absolutely nothing

On 5/30/2023 at 12:31 PM, I like pie said:

I sent pics over to CGC and no problem. No charge ME approved.

(thumbsu

This is what they said as soon as you hung up, "Dangit! He noticed it!"

Edited by Gaard

I promise I tried to search the answer to the following question, but I could not find one and it sort of relates to this topic so I'm asking here: I am sending an ME back -- can I also include a new submission so to with it?

(I suspect the answer is not the one that I want.)

• Administrator
On 5/30/2023 at 9:01 PM, smarkjobber said:

I promise I tried to search the answer to the following question, but I could not find one and it sort of relates to this topic so I'm asking here: I am sending an ME back -- can I also include a new submission so to with it?

(I suspect the answer is not the one that I want.)

Hi

You will get a prepaid shipping label for the ME.  You can't include another submission with it.  

Mike

I had the fun of opening a extremely delayed signature series signing only to discover that thr bubble wrap failed in the box.

Entire right side of the bubble wrap was flat so my book got the chance to be slammed around inside the box.

20230619_192224.thumb.jpg.ff39c4ce5a81f713a071f3eb6fdbd9bb.jpg

close up

Screenshot_20230619_211925_Gallery.thumb.jpg.09b637337672a47888afb855c6c11a12.jpg

and the shards in the box

20230619_192229.jpg.c4413e89cb3cf560eae04cd2a23b8c6f.jpg

luckily it looks like the issue remains undamaged.

hopefully the ME is quick as ive already waited 9.5 weeks for a 6 week signing

@CGC Mike   So I just received an order where I sent in a 2nd generation slab for a reholder.    The reholder came back with significant scuffing across the front of the book.    I tried to create mechanical error submission but when I input the certification number (which is the same cert number as the original slab and still shows the original Aug 2013 grade date in the system) I get the message that my holder was received more than 14 days ago when it was actually received 3 days ago.

What’s the workaround on this one? 

Edited by DC#

• Administrator
On 7/20/2023 at 9:41 PM, DC# said:

@CGC Mike   So I just received an order where I sent in a 2nd generation slab for a reholder.    The reholder came back with significant scuffing across the front of the book.    I tried to create mechanical error submission but when I input the certification number (which is the same cert number as the original slab and still shows the original Aug 2013 grade dare in the system) I get the message that my holder was received more than 14 days ago when it was actually received 3 days ago.

PM me your address, and I will try to get you a prepaid shipping label.  Please include the submission number for the reholder as well.  After we get the label, I will give you instructions on how to do the submission form.

• Administrator
On 7/21/2023 at 4:48 AM, Gaard said:

Keep in mind, the forum members make up a very small percentage of CGC's customers. So when a customer, who isn't a forum member, runs into this issue...?

They can contact customer service.  

On 7/21/2023 at 4:48 AM, Gaard said:

Keep in mind, the forum members make up a very small percentage of CGC's customers. So when a customer, who isn't a forum member, runs into this issue...?

I often think about this in the QC thread. Mike does an amazing job for people, but the vast majority of people who submit don't know about Mike. And the answer isn't just contact customer service. We see people who have been ignored for very large periods of time doing that. 

On 7/20/2023 at 9:41 PM, DC# said:

@CGC Mike   So I just received an order where I sent in a 2nd generation slab for a reholder.    The reholder came back with significant scuffing across the front of the book.    I tried to create mechanical error submission but when I input the certification number (which is the same cert number as the original slab and still shows the original Aug 2013 grade date in the system) I get the message that my holder was received more than 14 days ago when it was actually received 3 days ago.

Use the new submission number to create the ME.

Example submission number 4444444 book # 3 in submission use 4444444003 as the CGC serial number in the ME.

• Administrator
On 7/21/2023 at 6:16 PM, Timmay said:

Use the new submission number to create the ME.

Example submission number 4444444 book # 3 in submission use 4444444003 as the CGC serial number in the ME.

I have been working with this person, and sent him a prepaid shipping label.