• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller sold an incomplete book to me - How would you respond?
10 10

304 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2023 at 4:16 PM, Lightning55 said:

Yeah, that thread made Hulk 180 officially Wolverine's 1st DISAPPEARANCE. 

If you listen you can hear the exact moment the disappearance was discovered. 

Spoiler

On 6/21/2023 at 12:51 PM, ExNihilo said:

Did this get resolved?  This thread was like a season ending cliffhanger, only for the series to be cancelled.

image.png.422e044ca469173ce5d91c0f992a4976.png

:eek:

On 5/24/2023 at 3:49 AM, jimjum12 said:

To the O.P.

This seller is trying to keep $300 of the sale with buyer keeping the book. One thing about eBay, even though they don't post this anymore.... "Caveat Emptor", which is "buyer beware" if I remember correctly. This is still very much applicable with eBay. Paying attention to the terms of return is very important, especially with vintage comics. 

These are an example of my terms, developed over time to protect MYSELF from unscrupulous buyers out to cornswaggle me.

4)ALL books may be returned in SAME condition within a 2 WEEK period after receipt for ANY reason for full refund plus shipping....return shipping will be your responsibility, unless I missed a major flaw. 

Resto found within 3 months is eligible for a refund, after that, compensation will be made through inventory credit.

5)....I DO NOT REFUND SLABBING FEES. ...as the decision to slab is yours. Slabs are USED, may be scratched or blemished. Any reslabbing is the buyer's responsibility.

There are Dealers, such as Bob Storms and Dale Roberts, who provide lifetime return guarantees. Those are exemplary guarantees, and they stand behind them. I don't go that far because I'm not trying to run an escrow service designed to guarantee that someone profits at my expense. I plan on spending that money. That's why I sell books. Therefore, I have a point where I'm washing my hands of it. It becomes YOUR puppy dog. Personally, I would provide you a full refund on the book in your case, but slabbing would be on you. 

My advice is to become more discriminating with your choice of sellers if buying raw. Some of them will bone you in a blue second. I'm with the others, you should out this guy if he doesn't stand up. If you used Paypal, you may have up to 6 months to force a full refund, and often you can also keep the book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Such language from a friend in Jesus lol 

On 6/22/2023 at 2:19 PM, Dr. Balls said:
On 6/21/2023 at 2:51 PM, ExNihilo said:

Did this get resolved?  This thread was like a season ending cliffhanger, only for the series to be cancelled.

image.png.422e044ca469173ce5d91c0f992a4976.png

:eek:

The truth is out there?

On 6/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, ttfitz said:

The truth is out there?

Yep, but like the X-Files - we'll probably never know.

The Lone Gunmen (of which myself, and like 12 other people were huge fans) was unceremoniously cancelled after a really awesome cliffhanger season finale. It was finally addressed a year or two later in an X-Files episode that closed the book on the Gunmen. The treatment of that offshoot property makes the Firefly cancellation look like gushing, appreciative fan-service.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:03 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The Lone Gunmen (of which myself, and like 12 other people were huge fans) was unceremoniously cancelled after a really awesome cliffhanger season finale.

Make that 13, unless you were already counting me. lol

But, really, that show was doomed from the start, way too unrealistic - I mean, their pilot episode had a plan for a plane to be hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center, for goodness sake.

Sorry it has taken me so long to provide an update. As I previously stated I had opened a case with Paypal for a partial refund of $250.00 +30.00 sales tax and me keep the book due to the misrepresentation. I got a reply back after a week that my refund was approved but eBay is requesting that I return the book to get the partial refund? Naturally this makes no sense and Paypal agreed. My claim was revised to ask for the full refund of $430.00 (What I paid for the book) About another week passes and eBay comes back again with a partial refund of $280.00 and for me to return the book.  I believe this was an error and I had planned to continue to work on it to get it corrected. Unfortunately at this time my wife was hospitalized with a serious health issue. The following week I then am hospitalized with an unexpected health issue. I was up against a time crunch since my claim of $280.00 was approved and I had a date certain I had to return the book by or cancel my claim. Or I had to get back on the phone to continue to work with Paypal to get this all corrected. All of sudden due to our family's health issues this matter became totally meaningless to me. I decided to cancel my claim as I needed to reduce the stress level in my life and I accepted my loss as a lesson learned. 

What have I learned form all of this? 

1. I will always thoroughly inspect any comic that I pay a substantial amount for. 

2. I will never ever ask advice online if I have a seller/buyer dispute. 

3. Even though I did not get the final result I wanted, I am convinced had I continued to work on this with Paypal I would have finally prevailed in this situation since it dealt with misrepresentation. 

I do appreciate all the comments and replies as I do feel that I have became a more educated and a better buyer of comic books. Thanks to all. 

For those who wanted to know, Here is the book involved: 

20230705_105321.jpg

20230705_105340.jpg

Edited by O Doyle Rules

@O Doyle Rules time can heal, laughter too, I pray that you can move on if not in a bind, and Lord willing small potatoes in the big picture.

Prayers to live and love another day is the main thing! 

:cheers: cheers

On 7/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

Sorry it has taken me so long to provide an update. As I previously stated I had opened a case with Paypal for a partial refund of $250.00 +30.00 sales tax and me keep the book due to the misrepresentation. I got a reply back after a week that my refund was approved but eBay is requesting that I return the book to get the partial refund? Naturally this makes no sense and Paypal agreed. My claim was revised to ask for the full refund of $430.00 (What I paid for the book) About another week passes and eBay comes back again with a partial refund of $280.00 and for me to return the book.  I believe this was an error and I had planned to continue to work on it to get it corrected. Unfortunately at this time my wife was hospitalized with a serious health issue. The following week I then am hospitalized with an unexpected health issue. I was up against a time crunch since my claim of $280.00 was approved and I had a date certain I had to return the book by or cancel my claim. Or I had to get back on the phone to continue to work with Paypal to get this all corrected. All of sudden due to our family's health issues this matter became totally meaningless to me. I decided to cancel my claim as I needed to reduce the stress level in my life and I accepted my loss as a lesson learned. 

What have I learned form all of this? 

1. I will always thoroughly inspect any comic that I pay a substantial amount for. 

2. I will never ever ask advice online if I have a seller/buyer dispute. 

3. Even though I did not get the final result I wanted, I am convinced had I continued to work on this with Paypal I would have finally prevailed in this situation since it dealt with misrepresentation. 

I do appreciate all the comments and replies as I do feel that I have became a more educated and a better buyer of comic books. Thanks to all. 

For those who wanted to know, Here is the book involved: 

20230705_105321.jpg

20230705_105340.jpg

Did you inform PayPal of your situation? I ended up in hospital once while I had attempted to be outright scammed. Unfortunately in the meantime I nearly died from a kidney infection that went septic and was in no condition to handle anything. Somehow I asked my mother in my blind haze to contact them (she knew my logins for emergencies) and she emailed them, and they were fine with holding the deadline back until I was better, and able to participate. 

On 7/5/2023 at 7:52 PM, Cat said:

Did you inform PayPal of your situation? I ended up in hospital once while I had attempted to be outright scammed. Unfortunately in the meantime I nearly died from a kidney infection that went septic and was in no condition to handle anything. Somehow I asked my mother in my blind haze to contact them (she knew my logins for emergencies) and she emailed them, and they were fine with holding the deadline back until I was better, and able to participate. 

Over the days of collecting I've felt the waves in time that any one little hiccup, and I'd be on my knees to hope it still worked out. True with any "business" and even personal stuff between friends or whatever, there are shortcomings that could seem out of control to those involved.

Unexpected but they can be there, Lord willing there are safeties in place, but it IS stressful. :eek:

I get it.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

So the book cost $400 plus tax to originally purchased, after grading it's found not complete and ebay makes a offer of a partial refund of just $250 and you return the book? 

So you're out $150 plus tax not even getting to the grading fees and no comic book 

Why would someone do that?

Wouldn't it be better stuffing envelopes with $20 bills and just randomly handing cash out to strangers on the sidewalk on your way to the coffee shop.

Or am I missing something in this thread?

Edited by southern cross
Edit

On 7/5/2023 at 8:21 PM, southern cross said:

So the book cost $400 plus tax to originally purchased, after grading it's found not complete and ebay makes a offer of a partial refund of just $250 and you return the book? 

So you're out $150 plus tax not even getting to the grading fees and no comic book 

Why would someone do that?

Wouldn't it be better stuffing envelopes with $20 bills and just randomly handing cash out to strangers on the sidewalk on your way to the coffee shop.

Or am I missing something in this thread?

That was the offer, but due to health issues, he canceled it all (thumbsu

He paid for it end of transaction, sent to cgc, it came back, and it is what it is. :)

He states he's learned some things, and yet readily admits there is more to learn. Can't win them all, hopefully choose your battles will win over. Being taught comes when you're ready to learn, so sometimes getting in the right mindset is what I hope will win out.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM