• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Still Have Your First Piece of Original Comic Art?
3 3

86 posts in this topic

My first piece(s) of Comic related were these sketches from my first Con (Big Apple Con 2003) done by Toby Cypress

Unfortunately Spidey was lost during a move but feel like he may pop back up. 

My first published page was from Abe Sapien done by Max Fiumara (NYCC 2016) 

So 2 outta 3 firsts I still have. 

FhjXA3G9_121021235933lola.jpg

85g4iCOc_121021235944lola.jpg

yBscFhzH_121021234652lola.jpg

Edited by BVladimirHarkonnen

My answer to the question asked in the topic title is No,Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes

Allow me to explain ;

• I do not have the first piece I ever owned. I acquired and then sold it 5 years prior to my becoming an Original Comic Art collector.
  • I still have the first page of Original Comic Art every gifted to me - Sal Buscema's back cover to Spider Super Stories #37. It was the later 90's and so still pretty cheap, like $40 or less I don't expect any more XMAS gifts of this type in modern times. The back cover was gifted to me prior to my becoming an Original Comic Art collector.
  • I still have the first page I purchased that made me an Original Comic Art collector.  Iron Man 120 for $49 on eBay
  • I still have my first Splash page. JLA 207
  • I still have my first cover. Human Fly #19 by Bob Layton

Spidey37backCoverCAF.thumb.jpg.44ae12214ce35143d2215b797f64a6f5.jpgIM120p6CAF.thumb.jpg.5cecdc4ca60e10140936afeef4eaa25b.jpg

JLA207p11CAF.thumb.jpg.539e48f54279ea018b8e01401d62dbde.jpgHumanFly19coverCAF.thumb.jpg.4bba9ab62e415011a58a54433f64f49c.jpg

Edited by All-Star Squadman

I still have mine, a Golden Age page from Sparkler Comics by Reg Greenwood that I bought at SDCC in the mid-90s. It's kind of funny because it's the only Golden Age page I've ever owned, I don't typically collect Golden Age art, and I was unfamiliar with the character and the artist before seeing it. But it was affordable ($75) and had a whole bunch of elements I consider emblematic of Golden Age comics: WWII related content, a pitch for buying war stamps, and a male hero who prefers fighting for justice to romance, among others. And I did (and do) quite like the art from an aesthetic standpoint. In all honesty, I probably wouldn't still have it if it was worth more money, but I'm glad I hung on to it.

Spark Man.jpg

Yep - bought these on a whim at a show. Had some extra funds and nothing else I wanted to buy when I ran into a setup with Skottie Young and Greg Titus. Skottie was sold out but Greg had these so I scooped them up. I was pretty heavy into collecting statues and busts at this time and didn't buy another piece of art for 2-3 years which I now regret (along with regretting buying so many comics in the 90s instead of art). Once I started collecting art in earnest, the statue/bust hobby slowed to an almost standstill. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=775411

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=775409

Hulk by Greg Titus Comic Art

Captain America by Greg Titus Comic Artimage.png.8bd9ac0a079ca7337c6e60010d92fce5.png

On 7/31/2023 at 11:19 AM, JadeGiant said:

Yep - bought these on a whim at a show. Had some extra funds and nothing else I wanted to buy when I ran into a setup with Skottie Young and Greg Titus. Skottie was sold out but Greg had these so I scooped them up. I was pretty heavy into collecting statues and busts at this time and didn't buy another piece of art for 2-3 years which I now regret (along with regretting buying so many comics in the 90s instead of art). Once I started collecting art in earnest, the statue/bust hobby slowed to an almost standstill. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=775411

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=775409

Hulk by Greg Titus Comic Art

Captain America by Greg Titus Comic Artimage.png.8bd9ac0a079ca7337c6e60010d92fce5.png

@JadeGiant, I'm curious given what your main focus in and how you started, what was the first published page of art you picked up?

On 7/31/2023 at 11:23 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

@JadeGiant, I'm curious given what your main focus in and how you started, what was the first published page of art you picked up?

My focus was "anything that appealed to me" when I really started. I bought a ton of sketches and commissions and some pages that weren't too expensive. I think my first pages I bought were at a con and I know they included some Hulk Annual pages by Wagner and a couple Freddie Williams Flash pages. After the primarily squirrel phase of collecting, I came back to my roots and pivoted mostly to Hulk artwork. 

Sadly, I don't have any of the OA I once owned. My first was a convention sketch of Warlock by JIm Starlin in around 1978 or 1979. Cost Five dollars. The next, were a pair of color guides by Steve Oliff from either Dr. Strange or Howard the Duck (I forget which), bought at a con in (I think) San Jose in 1979, where I also met Walt Simonson, who was drawing Martian Manhunter. Most of the good stuff was bought from Scott Dunbier in the mid to late eighties in New York, or from Pete at Big Apple Comics. About 20 pages of Kirby (4 pgs from FF #19 and 20, Thor 169/170, Captain America, Kamandi, pre-code horror from Tales to Astonish and Journey into Mystery, a splash from Demon, and other odds and ends), Walt Kelly Pogo strip, about 20 pages of Byrne Next Men, including a cover, 4-5 pgs of Byrne Wonder Woman, Jose Garcia-Lopez page (a highlight of the collection), Colin Wilson Judge Dredd, some Campbell Gen13 pages and model sheets, a Carl Barks model sheet, a Severin Two-Fisted Tales story, and a few dozen pages that I've since forgotten about. I sold them all when I moved to Europe in 2006, along with all the art to an unpublished story that I didn't intend to sell.

On 7/31/2023 at 11:50 PM, artdisease said:

I don't have my 1st or 2nd, but I do have my 3rd and 4th. Two consecutive Jae Lee Inhumans pages. Sorry, don't have a scan.

Funny two Jae Lee Inhumans pages were also my very first acquisition.  1998, bought from AlbertMoy.  Still have them and still love them

1998 Jae Lee Inhumans page - 1.jpg

1998 Jae Lee Inhumans page - 2.jpg

My first page was a John Byrne Champions page. I bought it from a for sale page post in a newsgroup it was in 1997.  Do people recall those groups? 

My first pieces were bought there not that long before I bought my art from eBay

I do not own it anymore:

IMG_8549.jpeg

On 7/31/2023 at 8:50 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Here's my first purchase of legitimate comic art, which I still own also.

Fatale12_Cover.thumb.jpg.d90ed8f4d8dd06092fdbc846b22c4c97.jpg

WOW. That's a helluva first pickup!

On 8/1/2023 at 5:20 AM, hmendryk said:

Yes I still have the first piece of OA that I bought. Perhaps not very surprising in my case because I have never been big on trading or selling items from my collection. I probably still have something like 98% of all the art I collected. I bought the Dakota North #1 cover art by Tony Salmons over the Internet sometime in the mid 90's. I knew about OA before that but this Dakota North was my gateway drug.

DakotaNorth1.jpg

Rad! I just picked up a promo poster with this art for a friend of mine, awesome dynamic image.