• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,339 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2024 at 2:50 PM, Lazyboy said:

So it's totally legitimate and not at all suspicious to give out three different email addresses?

On 3/27/2024 at 2:52 PM, revat said:

Understandably, most people don't think that even with a civil/criminal win in court, they may not see anything resembling reimbursement or compensation, and probably not even their books back.  I agree with all of this.

HOWEVER, the argument for getting involved and documenting (legally/law enforcement/communications) your situation with authorities, are the following (even if each individual complaint only adds a little bit) :

1.  It may result in harsher penalties to the criminal/defendant in any eventual legal proceedings.

2.  It will make it harder to declare bankruptcy should anyone try it.  And make you more likely to be notified of bankruptcy should it be filed.

3.  It will make it more likely that law enforcement action will take the complaints more seriously and more quickly.  And more likely that law enforcement will notify you should action be taken.

4.  While I agree that cash compensation is VERY unlikely, the possibility that some books (or records of the sale of those books) are found either at a property, shop, home, family home, storage facility, vehicle, office, or friends house of the suspect are certainly not zero.  The guy has somewhat recently been both giving some books back and trying to (inappropriately) sell others, so it would stand to reason he still has some more of them.  Especially when drugs are involved, organizational skills and memory can be lacking.  Additionally, there is the chance that some of the books could be found in the course of other local criminal investigations (for example if someone pawned a valuable item or if someone traded an item for other illicit wares), so local PD knowing about the books might have some value.

5.  There can be some closure and catharsis with laying out your entire case on paper and just giving to the authorities, so you don't have to think about it any more.  You know you've been the victim of a crime, you know you've done what you can, and you can move on.  And any other positive results that may come back to you are a bonus.

6.  You also don't know what other assets someone has, or who might bail them out, or what assets someone might gain in the future.  Get it down on paper officially filed with someone to give yourself the best chance at it.

With that being said, it should be pretty easy to find out if a lawyer you're considering dealing with is a real lawyer.  If that is a concern of some folks here.  If they are a real lawyer, I can't imagine any lawyer would risk their livelihood and license over a case like this. 

So yeah - just to add to #2.  Mike D has already filed bankruptcy twice.  I think (don't quote me) once in 2012 and again in 2020 (still pending). 

On 3/27/2024 at 2:57 PM, mattn792 said:

So Flake’s this my final (not my final) post because we’re moving ahead with legal action was just a bunch of fluff?

Yeah I don't know.  This board is addicting! :)  Flake @Randy - why don't you weigh in? lol

On 3/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, Neo "The One" said:

So yeah - just to add to #2.  Mike D has already filed bankruptcy twice.  I think (don't quote me) once in 2012 and again in 2020 (still pending). 

I believe you can only do it once every seven years so his 2020 bankruptcy helps your case

On 3/27/2024 at 3:09 PM, shadroch said:

I've no dog in this fight, but something smells wrong. I hope Mike's real victims are careful and don't fall victim to another scam.  I don't want to fight over this.

I'm just reminding everyone to do their due diligence and act as if mike is listening, because I'm confident he is. 

*SIGH* So how about some ground rules?!  1) Don't send anyone money 2) Hire your own lawyer (if you are so inclined and it makes financial sense) 3) If anyone wants to "collab" make sure you do your due diligence and check EVERYONE involved out (lawyers, other members, etc). 4) Stop the in-fighting (unless you have proof someone is doing something nefarious)  5) Keep in mind that there are still victims out there who don't know the extent of this issue. (Still emailing a business that no longer exists) 6) Document everything you have.  7) File a claim SOMEWHERE (official) POLICE / LAWYER / DOJ.  I went to the DOJ, as did others https://www.doj.state.or.us/ some people have reported hearing back from Kristi very recently which I think is good news.

Markishtum Kristi <kristi.markishtum@doj.state.or.us>

I don't care if Mike or his cronies are listening he already sold my book, since he declared bankruptcy again and there's proof the books he had from customers have been sold (or at least listed for sale), the guy can do nothing too me.  

On 3/27/2024 at 2:09 PM, shadroch said:

I've no dog in this fight, but something smells wrong. I hope Mike's real victims are careful and don't fall victim to another scam.  I don't want to fight over this.

I'm just reminding everyone to do their due diligence and act as if mike is listening, because I'm confident he is. 

This Flake arrangement comes off like those timeshare purchase scams operating out of Mexico.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:41 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

It has been explained numerous times that Flake and Cantina are two people who work together and jointly using the email account. They are not Mike and there is no evidence they are up to anything shady. Sheesh. Enough already... it's an unnecessary distraction.  :facepalm:

Could you explain it like we're 12 ?

On 3/27/2024 at 10:00 AM, wombat said:

So if Mike sold customer's books doesn't that open a new path to criminal charges? Its one thing to argue you are just really delayed and never had any intention to not complete the work, its quite another when you are selling books that aren't yours. 

I continue to be surprised at the fact that, as far as I can tell, no one has yet to call the police of local jurisdiction to report this matter.

I think a lot of people are making this more complicated than it needs to be. If you paid your neighbor $50 to park your car in his garage while you were away on an extended holiday, then got back and found out he'd sold it, who would you call, and what would you tell them? Simple - you'd call the police, and you'd tell them your neighbor stole your car. This situation really isn't any different.

Maybe someone has called and got an unfavorable response - but if that's the case, they haven't shared same on the boards, and they probably haven't done a good job conveying the size and scale of the thefts perpetrated.

People can call lawyers and consumer protection advocates all they want - I don't personally see those avenues yielding much (between Mike's apparent financial situation on the civil side, and the concept of frustration of contract on the consumer protection side), but more power to you. However, I can't understand the reluctance to at least call the police as well. Is it out of some sense of misplaced loyalty to Mike as a fellow collector?

I also don't understand why people seemingly think that contacting the police forecloses one's ability to seek civil remedies. At least in my jurisdiction, it doesn't - civil lawyers actually encourage clients to report things like this to the police: a) because it's expected, and demonstrates the seriousness of your claim; and b) because a finding of criminal guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" sure helps a civil claim which needs to be proven on a "preponderance of evidence/balance of probabilities" (ie: the police do the leg work for you).

Also, I challenge anyone to find a lawyer willing to take this case on contingency (ie: the lawyer only gets paid out of any judgement awarded or settlement reached). Given what we know about the state of Mike's finances, any lawyer worth their salt will be demanding cash up front - and that should tell you all you need to know about the lawyer's belief (or lack thereof) in the likelihood of being able to actually collect on any judgement rendered.

To those of you who are still waffling about whether to contact a lawyer/consumer protection, or the police of local jurisdiction, I would simply say:

3o7aCRloybJlXpNjSU(1).gif.1692b3d9c586f1175625c1e9e3a0d481.gif

Best of luck to all.

Edited by Kripsys99

On 3/27/2024 at 4:36 PM, mattn792 said:

Or you should actually research what I’m referencing.  Your choice.

Hey Mattn - just posting this response here.  Thanks for the DM chat.  I think everyone is concerned with who is legit and who is not or has an "ulterior motive".  And to those reading this, yeah its not good to let one person or even a small group of people to take over and be the 'savior' for everyone.  Don't expect any silver bullets here.  If someone is asking for money be cautious.  Even if it is not the person everyone is pointing too.  I mean, you could find a bad lawyer milking you too.  Just do your research and don't get burned again. 

On 3/27/2024 at 12:50 PM, Lazyboy said:

So it's totally legitimate and not at all suspicious to give out three different email addresses?

I'm just going to second this.