• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,339 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2024 at 10:34 AM, GACollectibles said:
On 3/17/2024 at 9:23 PM, thehumantorch said:

Honestly, this place isn't perfect but for me it's still the best place to talk comics online.  And there are a good number of people on this board who just love comics and are true fans of the medium.

Yeah, but Canadians.

@greggy

:baiting:

Something that's been bothering me about all this.  Just spit balling here.

What if Hero Mike was proficient at some aspects of restoration but not all?  What if he took on these jobs and the appropriate payments but he didn't have the experience and skills to do all of the work?  There's no university degree for what he does and I don't believe he apprenticed under anyone.  I think he was essentially self taught.  What if he just didn't have the skill to finish some projects and put them aside and continued to accept new work?

That might explain why he hadn't finished books for near 10 years and why some books were only partially completed after many years. 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:25 PM, thehumantorch said:

What if Hero Mike was proficient at some aspects of restoration but not all?  What if he took on these jobs and the appropriate payments but he didn't have the experience and skills to do all of the work?  There's no university degree for what he does and I don't believe he apprenticed under anyone.  I think he was essentially self taught.  What if he just didn't have the skill to finish some projects and put them aside and continued to accept new work?

That might explain why he hadn't finished books for near 10 years and why some books were only partially completed after many years. 

The Green Lantern #1 is pretty much proof that what you’ve postulated is exactly what happened.  But instead of manning up and admitting he was in over his head, Mike instead became a criminal.

Hopefully all of his victims are made as whole as possible.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:25 PM, thehumantorch said:

That would make a lot of sense. 

Any board members who used him have major restoration done? 

The Batman # 1 referenced earlier in this thread was mine. It was a poor looking 5.0 with trimming (not CGC), and Mike did a decent job on it, inc removing the trimmed designation, something that I had no idea could be done.

However, the problems posed my Action # 7 & # 10 have been very badly treated, and in fact made much worse now to the point where they are unsalvagable. They look as if they have been washed to within an inch of their lives.
Bearing in mind he received these books in 2017, it looks like he was experimenting with techniques he was certainly not a master of. Either that or his mind was deteriorating so much that he began to do all the wrong things to these books, because they are a disgrace now.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:44 PM, thehumantorch said:

It would be interesting to find out what type of work he has completed?  

In 2012 he worked on an Avengers 1 for me.  An slight amateur restored (trimmed) 8.0 to slight professional 9.2. The work was reasonably priced and reasonably fast (four months) for restoration. He even made the helpful suggestion of  getting Stan Lee's signature and arranged the facilitator.  

There was a time when Mike had a skill set and business that people were glad to pay for and he was doing good work. It's sad how it worked out for him and for everyone else that used him the past several years.

On 3/24/2024 at 2:50 AM, quicksilver said:

The Batman # 1 referenced earlier in this thread was mine. It was a poor looking 5.0 with trimming (not CGC), and Mike did a decent job on it, inc removing the trimmed designation, something that I had no idea could be done.

However, the problems posed my Action # 7 & # 10 have been very badly treated, and in fact made much worse now to the point where they are unsalvagable. They look as if they have been washed to within an inch of their lives.
Bearing in mind he received these books in 2017, it looks like he was experimenting with techniques he was certainly not a master of. Either that or his mind was deteriorating so much that he began to do all the wrong things to these books, because they are a disgrace now.

How did he remove the trimmed designation? Leaf casted new material?