• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2023 at 12:01 PM, Buzzetta said:

To me that is just stupid. (Replacing those) Most of those cards offer a small swatch is indistinguishable from modern design.  I always thought you were paying for the presentation.  

Yes the common jersey cards do have a jersey swatch and the market value of those are only a few dollars to a few hundred depending on player. If it were to be replaced by say a nice jersey patch of maybe a piece of the team logo, NBA logoman, or even a four colored part of the jersey, the value jumps big time. 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, Stefan_W said:

I sent in a 24 book Modern submission and was hoping that my books would make it through grading by Christmas, but I have to say that I am now kind of happy that they are still in SFG because whatever fix they put into place will be active. 

My 40 book submission just shipped out. :censored:

On 12/28/2023 at 3:18 PM, trademarkcomics said:

My 40 book submission just shipped out. :censored:

I remember you posting about that in the TaT thread and I thought of you. 

I would check to see if whatever change they made was already active by the time they did your books. There is no reason to believe they waited until their official announcement to make the changes to their processes. 

On 12/28/2023 at 2:32 PM, Dark Knight said:

When it comes to providing better security measures for slabbed books, I think the book's graded serial number should be etched on all four sides of the inner well. So if say someone were to compromise the outer shell and try to make a swap and re-grade, well cgc can look at the etching and see if it matches the serial number on the label.

If one were to try and remove the book from the inner well, then they would need to cut over the serial number. 

Just an idea

A good idea.

aace40ff968b348c985909527d21072e226c5395

On 12/28/2023 at 12:24 PM, Stefan_W said:

I remember you posting about that in the TaT thread and I thought of you. 

I would check to see if whatever change they made was already active by the time they did your books. There is no reason to believe they waited until their official announcement to make the changes to their processes. 

chance.gif.8038e267e42290a57bcdeb79d292e720.gif

On 12/28/2023 at 2:32 PM, Dark Knight said:

When it comes to providing better security measures for slabbed books, I think the book's graded serial number should be etched on all four sides of the inner well. So if say someone were to compromise the outer shell and try to make a swap and re-grade, well cgc can look at the etching and see if it matches the serial number on the label.

If one were to try and remove the book from the inner well, then they would need to cut over the serial number. 

Just an idea

The big benefit of this idea is that it works with current slabs and inner sleeves and would be a quick retrofit to the current process. The downside is it would be hard to verify for people casually looking at the slab. 

The idea I advocate is putting the label into the sleeve in its own sealed compartment at the top. This would take development time and cost following by the manufacturing process, so 9-12 months would be a reasonable guess. 

I see your idea as a great stop-gap solution to use but I would still advocate for a re-design in the long term. 

On 12/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, Mikey C said:

This is why I was confused about CGC not changing the inner wells during reholders. 

I read somewhere that CGC recommended changing the cases every 8-10 years…something about the micro chamber paper they put inside books and gases the books give off as they break down slowly over time. 

If they’re just reusing the inner well than what’s the point of the micro chamber paper inside the actual books? I cracked a low-value ASM 330 to keep raw and it had two piece of the paper inside. Maybe for gases? Who the F knows. 

Yeah, well... they dont even include micro chamber paper into every book anymore.

Thats been confirmed.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, wombat said:

5th party. duh. 

I remember a few years back some guy was selling cases to put your CGC cases in. So, to me, the 5th party people should be ensuring the quality of CGC case cases, whereas the 6th party group would check on the 4th party. 

As this all gets confusing every book would then come with a 7th party guarantee that all the rest are as they should be.

On 12/29/2023 at 6:01 AM, Buzzetta said:

To me that is just stupid. (Replacing those) Most of those cards offer a small swatch is indistinguishable from modern design.  I always thought you were paying for the presentation.  

I've got something stupider than those, Buzz. Same thing, but instead of a jersey it's a small piece of tyre from the Ironhide prop from Transformers Dark Of The Moon. Dumbest thing I've ever bought, seriously. 

On 12/28/2023 at 3:40 PM, Cat said:

I've got something stupider than those, Buzz. Same thing, but instead of a jersey it's a small piece of tyre from the Ironhide prop from Transformers Dark Of The Moon. Dumbest thing I've ever bought, seriously. 

I have card from a pack I once opened that has crumbles of the Berlin Wall.   Truth. 

On 12/29/2023 at 6:41 AM, Buzzetta said:

I have card from a pack I once opened that has crumbles of the Berlin Wall.   Truth. 

I don't know which is worse, but I think you win.