• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2023 at 2:13 PM, Lightning55 said:

My bad. Never mind on that one.

People are finding images and sales data from way back somewhere. We need a super sleuth. 

You are correct in recommending WP and I’m sure the eBay sales in the last 3 years can be found on TP. I don’t have WP, but I know it goes back further.

Just stumbled upon this... sooo... Ewert scandal v2.0 huh? Show of hands, how many of you know what I'm talking about? I'm going to guess less than 25% of you. This too will go the same route. 

On a related note. Kew Gardens and Arizona connected sellers? Comic scam. Anyone else smell Danny Dupecake here?

On 12/29/2023 at 2:15 PM, Mdesimone said:

The eBay sale date for amazing Spider-Man 129 was December 11 2019 if anyone can get it on worth point with purchase price that would help me a lot 

image.thumb.png.f6b26b036b62cdcbc7ca06b6995995b7.png

@comicwiz or @agamoto, can you please find this sale in WorthPoint and give the info (like eBay item #, etc.) to @Mdesimone for his claim to CGC fraud dept.

ASM #129 9.0 sold 10-Dec-2019

Edited by brute_nm

On 12/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, LordRahl said:

Just stumbled upon this... sooo... Ewert scandal v2.0 huh? Show of hands, how many of you know what I'm talking about? I'm going to guess less than 25% of you. This too will go the same route. 

On a related note. Kew Gardens and Arizona connected sellers? Comic scam. Anyone else smell Danny Dupecake here?

Biggest Comic Scandal EVER!!

October 19, 2005
It's deja vu all over again in the collectibles field.

As some predicted, it appears as if the graded comic book market is going the same way the graded coin market did a decade earlier. That is, it is going the way of cracking slabs, performing stealth micro-restoration to squeeze out a slightly better grade and reslabbing. Further, some in the hobby are coming to believe that CGC is offering preferential treatment to certain big shot dealers.

What brought this all to a head is that prominent dealer Jason Ewert was caught selling trimmed books in unrestored slabs. Thanks to before and after scans, it has become evident that the books were trimmed while in Ewert's possession. CGC has investigated internally, and subsequently banned Ewert from submitting. Moreso, CGC President Steve Borock has reported that he told Ewert to "leave the hobby or risk lawsuit from CGC." No one knows how many trimmed books Ewert slipped past CGC before he was caught... it could be hundreds.

Yes the guy that was selling trimmed books in blue labels many many years ago. What did cgc eventually do about that besides banning?

On 12/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, comicwiz said:

I have four currently, yours would make it five. Can someone please compile a list of what the current names are. Thanks!

Done.  I also added the names to the body of the post (in addition to the image) so that it's searchable on here.

This has the potential to be far worse than Ewert.

You’ve only got 200 pages to catch up on.  Welcome aboard:insane:

On 12/29/2023 at 3:06 PM, sledgehammer said:

Was it on the 4/8/22 date shown in GPA for that 9.2 cert #?

Do you have any info on the buyer that fits in with what we've seen here so far?

No it was a private sale this summer.

Shipped to a P.O Box in Kew Gardens NY and part of the name he used is part of one of the ebay ID's.

It's him.

On 12/29/2023 at 1:28 PM, EastEnd1 said:

This has the potential to be far worse than Ewert.

It also has the potential to be not nearly as bad. We will likely never know the full extent of either scandal in order to be able to judge. Also, depends on what barometer you are using. Pure dollar amount? It will be this one if for no other reason than the stratospheric rise of comic prices. But Jason was selling 5 figure restored books as unrestored back when 5 figures meant something in the comic world. 

On 12/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Pretty tough to be far worse than a bunch of restored books in universal labels. 

This can be that and so much more. Restored, missing pages, coupon clipped, missing MVS, missing MJI, actually a lower graded copy, etc etc etc. A restored slipped into a blue label and sent for a reholder is just one variation of the possibilities this problem allows for. 

On 12/29/2023 at 3:11 PM, Mikey C said:

I might be missing something but couldn’t this just be a CPR? A 9.2 to a 9.6 def isn’t unheard of. 

9.6 would be beyond a gift grade on that book.

Very easy for the CGC to verify if it was reholdered and "missing the MJ insert" on the label.

On 12/29/2023 at 4:33 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Pretty tough to be far worse than a bunch of restored books in universal labels. 

Not sure how much of this thread you've been able to get through, but one of the things that's emerged is that the "tamper-proof CGC holders" turn out to be pretty easy to open and reseal, with a substituted book inside.  It potentially implicates every CGC slab.

On 12/29/2023 at 1:25 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Yes the guy that was selling trimmed books in blue labels many many years ago. What did cgc eventually do about that besides banning?

I know CGC bought back a bunch of the books. There was a list published of the suspected affected books. But after a year or so, people moved on and stopped talking about it. I'm sure someone knows more than that but good luck finding that someone and getting them to talk.