• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
11 11

376 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

CGC will need to fix their public CGC Census immediately. @MattM CS

All of the "CGCxJSA" books that I have seen are being reported in the CGC Census under the details of the Restored label.

Unless they've selected the worst possible books to start the program (restored AND signed), these new "CGCxJSA" labels need to be identified as "Signature" (unwitnessed, or whatever is necessary), but they're not Restored in any way.

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_restored.asp?title=Amazing+Spider-Man&issue=187&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=1978&issuedate=12/78

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_restored.asp?title=Mr.+T+and+the+T-Force&publisher=Now+Comics&issue=1&year=1993&issuedate=6%2F93

Beavis & Butthead #1 has never had a Restored copy:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Beavis+and+Butt-head&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=1&year=1994&issuedate=3%2F94

Until now... they've got CGCxJSA in there:

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_restored.asp?title=Beavis+and+Butt-head&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=1&year=1994&issuedate=3%2F94

Edited by valiantman

On 5/7/2024 at 1:01 PM, dbcn said:
On 5/7/2024 at 12:22 PM, Poutine said:

27 sigs there.

From the submission form you can currently only get 2 sigs verified... so which 2 you gonna pick lol 

@MattM CS Clarified. You can get all 27 sigs authenticated at $25 a piece, but the grade of the signature can only be done 2 per slab, which I assume is due to room on the label.

That is where I was at, but clarification in case I fumbled the football lol 

On 5/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, DocGo said:

I like how my unwitnessed sigs will now look like Pedigrees

I'm glad the distinction between "witnessed" and "authenticated" is clear (as opposed to the guys across the street who use the same label, just have it in fine print.

What happens though if someone submits a pedigreed book for witnessed signature?  Do you get a gold label?  Yellow?  A sharper contrast between the two would probably be nice.  Or had they used a different color for authenticated, that would have been even better.  Perhaps red?

Folks - any insight into how the new program will handle creators who've "refused" CGC Sig Series?  Thinking like John Byrne, Don Rosa as immediate examples.

• Administrator
On 5/7/2024 at 3:01 PM, roach04 said:

Folks - any insight into how the new program will handle creators who've "refused" CGC Sig Series?  Thinking like John Byrne, Don Rosa as immediate examples.

Great question! As this service is for books that have already been signed but not witnessed by our Signature Series team, if you have a book (raw, in a qualified label, or in a Green/Yellow label) that you would like to receive JSA Authentication for the unwitnessed Signature, we will review it, if it is submitted through this service regardless of the signer. 

• Administrator
On 5/7/2024 at 2:58 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm glad the distinction between "witnessed" and "authenticated" is clear (as opposed to the guys across the street who use the same label, just have it in fine print.

What happens though if someone submits a pedigreed book for witnessed signature?  Do you get a gold label?  Yellow?  A sharper contrast between the two would probably be nice.  Or had they used a different color for authenticated, that would have been even better.  Perhaps red?

Let me check on that...

@MattM CS A bit confused by how books with unwitnessed sig and sketch be treated. Says in the FAQ that "if the autograph is authentic, and it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC Qualified green label. Alternatively, if it is determined that the sketch will not negatively impact the grade of the comic, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label."

But in the sample provided in the article, this Venom Lethal Protector got the new JSA label but the sketch presumably impacted the grade (hence the 9.6?) and the label doesn't note there is a sketch...?

FB_IMG_1715114683615.jpg

Posted (edited)

Um, I like it?!  I was Never a fan of getting books signed by people that did not actually work on a book so 2 is fine. I’d prefer 3 for writer, penciler and inker but 2 is a good start. I have books I had signed (my own personal “witnessed” signings) including George Perez and Jim Lee. I’ve had them on the side to send to “another grading company” that ends inBS:: for over a year now and just could never pull the trigger on it. Now I get to find out if those “John Byrne” signatures I have are real! And no I won’t have the signature “graded” wtf is that?!

Edited by Neo "The One"

On 5/7/2024 at 8:12 PM, Neo "The One" said:

Um, I like it?!  I was Never a fan of getting books signed by people that did not actually work on a book so 2 is fine. I’d prefer 3 for writer, penciler and inker but 2 is a good start. I have books I had signed (my own personal “witnessed” signings) including George Perez and Jim Lee. I’ve had them on the side to send to “another grading company” that ends inBS:: for over a year now and just could never pull the trigger on it. Now I get to find out if those “John Byrne” signatures I have are real! And no I won’t have the signature “graded” wtf is that?!

You can have as many signatures on the book verified as you want (at $25 per). It's only the optional signature grade itself that's limited to two per book. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 8:43 PM, MachoGrande said:

You can have as many signatures on the book verified as you want (at $25 per). It's only the optional signature grade itself that's limited to two per book. 

Thanks for the clarification. I’m not sure why someone would want to grade a signature. Seems insulting. Either it’s real (in their opinion) or it’s not. I guess where it gets wonky is if you try and authenticate some signatures but not others on the same book. Anything more than 3 signatures on a book and it gets to be a mess IMO. 

Edited by Neo "The One"
Additional clarity. Like a diamond.

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 5:49 PM, Neo "The One" said:

Thanks for the clarification. I’m not sure why someone would want to grade a signature. Seems insulting. Either it’s real (in their opinion) or it’s not. I guess where it gets wonky is if you try and authenticate some signatures but not others on the same book. Anything more than 3 signatures on a book and it gets to be a mess IMO. 

I was assuming it's not grading the sig's authenticity, but its quality. Like Stan Lee's sigs would get worse and worse as the day went on(get this guy a new sharpie!) and as his age increased, but some of his sigs looked like he used a stamp, which would be "A" grade sigs to me. 

Edited by trademarkcomics

Posted (edited)

So, for an example, how would this TMNT #1 3rd Print be treated? Verified sigs and sketch? Or just the sigs, not the sketches, which may or may not detract from the grade?

20210719_184013_IMG_8144.JPG

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

What label does a book get if it already has a yellow label, but you send it in to get an interior signature JSA'd?  I wouldn't want that stripe because it would make it look like it ONLY has JSA'd signatures.  Maybe give it the yellow stripe at the top (like it already has) but add that additional text about JSA in the stripe.  Or, just make the JSA'd signature a label note.  But I definitely wouldn't want that black stripe on a book with witnessed signatures.

well here's what their website says:

What if my autograph was previously witnessed by JSA?

If your autograph was witnessed by CGC or JSA (as part of the JSA Witness Protection Program (WPP)), your comic will receive the CGC Signature Series label, unless your comic also has an unwitnessed autograph. If your comic has both witnessed and unwitnessed autographs — and they are all genuine — your comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label.

I definitely would not want that stripe on my existing yellow label books.