• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX just stepped on an Atom Bomb. A classic tale of deceit, trimming,and woe.

460 posts in this topic

The only thing keeping me here is the fact that if I get banned, THEN I launch my long-planned independent watchdog website, and that would be much worse for everyone. Much. smirk.gif

You amuse Arch with your photshop dandies, it pleases him.

You are only alowed to stay here as long as the quality and quantity of your work keeps pace.

Stop with the pretty pictures and you will find a bootprint on the back of your pants.

Ze-

There was about 15 different responses I could've come up with for your last post. Here's some of them, in no particular order:

The only thing keeping me here is the fact that if I get banned, THEN I launch my long-planned independent watchdog website, and that would be much worse for everyone. Much.

1. Does the word "THEN" really need capitalization here? We got it. You have scans of stuff.

2. I don't think any web server would have hard drive space available, after you upload your veiled threats and huge ego!

3. Much worse for everyone ? So, my aunt 60 miles away will be affected. Whatcha got up your sleeve?

4. Why not just launch the website now, chicken? sumo.gif

You are only alowed to stay here as long as the quality and quantity of your work keeps pace.

Stop with the pretty pictures and you will find a bootprint on the back of your pants.

Ze-

I think he needs at least a strike for that highly pixelated "scan" picture...

You.....are......killing.....me. 27_laughing.gif

Hey, just because the NYC Morgue has been getting more action lately than your web forum...don't take it out on me! poke2.gif

Ze-

I think he needs at least a strike for that highly pixelated "scan" picture...

Hey, garbage in, garbage out. I'm not a friggin' wizard you know! Christo_pull_hair.gif

It doesn't go to 11. poke2.gif

BTW...until I see a pic of another employee at PGX, I will continue to refer to the company as "he" and not "they.

Red

On my voicemail message he clearly said WE have had several people sick recently, and he was very busy. So there is your proof. He said WE so it must be true?

I will add that to my list of questions when I talk to him... Dan, How many hats do you wear?

Ze-

Hey, just because the NYC Morgue has been getting more action lately than your web forum...don't take it out on me! poke2.gif

Touchee, RedBag! At least my website exists, unlike your "long time planned WATCHDOG" (read: oooh, I'm shakin') site that only exists in your mind!

Hey, let's compare hits for the month for your Green River site and mine! poke2.gif

Seriously, my site is dying on the vine. Please stop by and yell at MK or something. flowerred.gif

Touchee, RedBag! At least my website exists, unlike your "long time planned WATCHDOG" (read: oooh, I'm shakin') site that only exists in your mind!

Hey, let's compare hits for the month for your Green River site and mine! poke2.gif

Seriously, my site is dying on the vine. Please stop by and yell at MK or something. flowerred.gif

If you got an exclusive on MK, you are going to see a rise in hits. Give him his own damn column over there.

BTW....my green river site is for connoisseurs only. smirk.gif

If you got an exclusive on MK, you are going to see a rise in hits. Give him his own damn column over there.

BTW....my green river site is for connoisseurs only. smirk.gif

It's a great idea. I'll give him something special. angel.gif

cggus1794a.jpg

That one looks sliced even without before/after scans.

After the seeing this book I only have one thing to say.

Danny, you either suck at detecting trimming, or doing the actual trimming.. eitherway.

You suck at it.

Ze-

On the right edge across from wording "Walt Disney's", the original scan shows a white color blouch. The blouch mysteriously disappears in the graded version. A possibly color touch? Experts?

I thought the same thing, but I couldn't tell if the white on the original scan was real color loss or just an artifact from the bad digital image.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Hopefully I won't get flamed for this but if you view the large graded scan you can ALMOST see where the color touch took place. Its like something I read in an earlier thread about detecting color touches; 'once you see them, it's hard to see anything else'.

confused-smiley-013.gif Definately waiting on an experts opinion.

I mentioned this in the other thread, and no one commented. I'm far from an expert, but I agree with you--that's one crappy color touch, especially if it can be noticed on a crappy scan. There's a large white area on the original scan that's now a funky shade of red on the slabbed book.

Where the heck does anyone get off desecrating a book of this caliber? POS.

I'll throw my two cents worth on all this, both this and the Ewert thing (I'm currently due a check from Mr. Brulato for a trimmed book myself). I think, a few years ago, when CGC was very new, most people realized (or thought) that this would definitely "legitamize" investments in comics and provide certain assurances about the graded books. And, as most people thought, these graded books commanded higher prices due to the third-party grading, and the security that comes along with it.

However, one thing I failed to think through completely was that with more money, comes more greed and, ultimately, fraud occurs, whether the grading company is involved or completely a victim themselves. And the extra $$ being thrown around would lead to unscrupulous people coming into the hobby, or turning "good people bad", etc.

I suppose, in hindsight, things like this were inevitable. There's just too much $$ chasing first-class graded books. If someone could bump their books just .2 points, the temptation is there, consider we, the buyers, will pay hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands for a 9.8 over a 9.6, a 9.6 over a 9.4, a 9.4 over a 9.2, etc.

Are we to blame? I'm definitely not saying that. I guess I'm saying this was inevitable, perhaps we shouldn't be as surprised as we seem to be, and it's such a waste. All these books were great books before the hatchet-jobs they are now. All for the desire for the all-mighty dollar...

Havent finished reading the rest of the posts on the scandal to hit the graded collectibles market THIS WEEK - someone should do the average 27_laughing.gif - but thats a great post in the sad but true vein.

Is someone accusing Daniel of actually doing the trimming and submitting?

How does anyone buy books and have them in PGX holders in a week? PGX has a 17-day turnaround right now, and given the time it would take to receive the purchased Cherrios books, that'd mean that whoever had these books had instant access to PGX's services. I can't think of how anyone else in the world gets books sent, graded, and returned by PGX in...what, maybe a day?

Actually, not to sound like I am on anyone's side here, but when I first tried PGX's services I drove down to Eugene. Dropped the books off and had them returned the next day. Not out of the realm of possibilities confused-smiley-013.gif

Again, I AM NOT on the PGX bandwagon... just stating that it can be done.

John

Where did you drop them off at?

Actually I need to re-word that post...

The books were "picked up" 893whatthe.gif

I wanted to drop them off but couldn't (the flood gates have opened!!!). Daniel came to my hotel and met with me there. I gave him the books and called the next morning to pick up, again, they were dropped off to me.

I can say that I wasn't too comfortable with giving some guy at a hotel room my books to leave with! However, I plan on running a decent sized web-site operation. It will be for selling comics (DUH). Now, do I want people to know where I live (as will be done from home) or would I meet with them if a sale was local and pick up requested. I would choose the latter!

I know that this is a different set of circumstances and DO believe that there are qusetions to be answered! But does it really matter where the work is done???

John thumbsup2.gif

It doesn't matter except when I send a $1,000+ book off to a grading company, I don't expect it to be sitting on someone's living room floor being graded. I expect proper care to be taken and a process to be used so no damage occurs and the comic isn't stolen.

Good luck with your web site! thumbsup2.gif

If this is your expectation you should NOT have sent it to Oregon makepoint.gif

I think his explanations are more satisfying than any that Borock has given and he also has responded to more individual questions, unlike CGC. I still don't know what the truth is but I think that the amount of venom being spit at PGX may not be warranted. Having said that I'll have to admit that I have very little use for either company. Daniel should start going to conventions ( if he isn't already) so he can answer some of these questions face to face with his accusers.

He'll be in Seattle this weekend with the "team"

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Won't Steve Be in Seattle too?? That might be worth the price of admission - I got $10 on the Hippie Dead Head. devil.gif

Ugh well that was a long thread. Look I've been tough on CGC in the past and I essentially view them as a necessary Evil (basically Halperin got his mits in the Comic Market and we got a grading service) - however I can't believe knowing all that you guys know that you'd go near a PGX slab with a nickel. Put it this way I'd rather buy raw off Hammer makepoint.gif

I pretty much think its a conspiracy and the whole town of Eugene is in on it 27_laughing.gif - I'll have to remember to ask one of the Instructors that my company uses, he lives there. Next time we are out for a few beers I'll plop a comic down on the table if he mutters anything resembling 9.4 when talking about it thats it get the torches and burn that place down lol.