• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX just stepped on an Atom Bomb. A classic tale of deceit, trimming,and woe.

460 posts in this topic

The scandals never seem to end in the professional graded comics market. Maybe what we really need is an independent company that just does a restore check and slabs the book and let the individuals viewing the book bid on it based on what they think the grade is, not what CGC or PGX claim it is. That would take all the speculator money out of the game. Slapping a very subjective so-called "expert" grade on a slabbed comic is what drives the greed and corruption and is destroying the hobby. If those grades were done away with I think 99% of the trimming and pressing would stop because there wouldn't be any money in it. It would be too risky to try in sneak a trim job past a company whose only job is to make sure a comic isn't restored. Ebay buyers could then just bid on what they think that unrestored slabbed comic is worth instead of hunting labels. It would force sellers to display hi-resolution scans to sell their product. Oh well, back to the flawed world we live in. frown.gif

The scandals never seem to end in the professional graded comics market. Maybe what we really need is an independent company that just does a restore check and slabs the book and let the individuals viewing the book bid on it based on what they think the grade is, not what CGC or PGX claim it is. That would take all the speculator money out of the game. Slapping a very subjective so-called "expert" grade on a slabbed comic is what drives the greed and corruption and is destroying the hobby. If those grades were done away with I think 99% of the trimming and pressing would stop because there wouldn't be any money in it. It would be too risky to try in sneak a trim job past a company whose only job is to make sure a comic isn't restored. Ebay buyers could then just bid on what they think that unrestored slabbed comic is worth instead of hunting labels. It would force sellers to display hi-resolution scans to sell their product. Oh well, back to the flawed world we live in. frown.gif

can't agree with that! This type of stuff has been going on a lot longer than CGC has been around -If pro grading folds there will still be many scammers -it's always been a case of "buyer beware" but many of us still feel better buying certifed books than uncertified at least when it comes to big $$$ books anyway!

new discovery... note tdx and ma4 refers to ebay account names tdcomixncardz and ma4pres

I went through my HUGE archive of saved comic scans and searched for files named tdx or ma4...

Original pic. tdx bought this one. At first I thought they couldn't be same books since I have saved this last August, when ma4pres auction pic was saved in June. But since I have gone through his bids via feedback links and they are "live" for three months...

MOC4$1,230tdcomix.JPG

enlarged

MOC4$1,230tdcomix.jpg

slabbed

moc4$3,150ma4pres.jpg

Note spine damage stress lines and compare right edges! What are the odds they are not one and the same?

Another one, saved these scans two years ago....

$450TDCOMIX2.jpg

$450%20tdcomix%20osti2.jpg

cggus1794a.jpg

That one looks sliced even without before/after scans.

On the right edge across from wording "Walt Disney's", the original scan shows a white color blouch. The blouch mysteriously disappears in the graded version. A possibly color touch? Experts?

I thought the same thing, but I couldn't tell if the white on the original scan was real color loss or just an artifact from the bad digital image.

confused-smiley-013.gif

On the right edge across from wording "Walt Disney's", the original scan shows a white color blouch. The blouch mysteriously disappears in the graded version. A possibly color touch? Experts?

I thought the same thing, but I couldn't tell if the white on the original scan was real color loss or just an artifact from the bad digital image.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Hopefully I won't get flamed for this but if you view the large graded scan you can ALMOST see where the color touch took place. Its like something I read in an earlier thread about detecting color touches; 'once you see them, it's hard to see anything else'.

confused-smiley-013.gif Definately waiting on an experts opinion.

outrageous. CGC would have never let such blatant trimming go unPLODed. the march of comics has a lot of hints (without before and after) given how "productions" is cut in half. While that's not proof of trimming per se (could just be a bad cut), but it would certainly raise suspicion. yet blue label it is.

I just wanna know how many drinks he had before performing that hideous Uncle Scrooge trim job and how many more drinks DP must have had to give it the ol blue label.

I wrote DP flat out asking for any information he could offer to help explain how/why this recent fiasco could happen. I was matter of fact about asking him, and told him I thought his silence would be damning.

It had alot to do with implementing more tests they could employ to detect resto/trimming until they are 100% sure the books are not trimmed. And having better resto detection then most are led to believe.

Anyways, it was a generic CYA type of email, I will see if I fare better when I return his call later today. I will turn my charm meter up to 11.

Ze-

It doesn't go to 11. poke2.gif

BTW...until I see a pic of another employee at PGX, I will continue to refer to the company as "he" and not "they.

Red

You do realize if Daniel Patterson had Arch's login credentials you'd SO be banned from here, right? crazy.gif

The only thing keeping me here is the fact that if I get banned, THEN I launch my long-planned independent watchdog website, and that would be much worse for everyone. Much. smirk.gif

cggus1794a.jpg

I know it's been said many times already, but dear God! 893whatthe.gif

You don't even need the before scan for this one, though with it it's even more damning. Unbelievable. I can't think of any single image I've seen posted here that has more succinctly sunk a grading company's credibility.

The only thing keeping me here is the fact that if I get banned, THEN I launch my long-planned independent watchdog website, and that would be much worse for everyone. Much. smirk.gif

Easy, killer. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back! grin.gif

Easy, killer. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back! grin.gif

10080.jpg