• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,026 posts in this topic

Just bought this copy. This was a book I needed to have since Black Panther is considered to be the "African-American version of Batman." :)

FF52CGC85.jpg

Very Nice! not too mention Black Panther is a great character and always has a good story line when he makes an appearance. Now you need #53

Just bought this copy. This was a book I needed to have since Black Panther is considered to be the "African-American version of Batman." :)

FF52CGC85.jpg

Very Nice! not too mention Black Panther is a great character and always has a good story line when he makes an appearance. Now you need #53

I'm a Panther fan. :applause:

FF52CGC85.jpg

....what a pretty 8.5.....who needs a 9.4 with a copy like that ? It's easily one of my top 5 Kirby FF covers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Only because there have been so many of these battles over the years.

However, in the beginning, when the Thing had not met the Hulk, all Marvel readers were BEGGING for a confrontation between these two. […]

I think this is one of those "you had to be there" moments to fully appreciate these stories as we did in 1962-65.

Hi Owl,

actually in some way I *was* there. As italian readers we have had the privilege of reading the early stories side-by-side with the early 1970s production, and you can’t imagine how entusiastic I was when I read my very first Fantastic Four early episodes (the Kurrgo and the Puppet-Master episodes remain among my very favorites).

But I never wondered who would have won over who when I was 9. I was already wondering why people were so excited about seeing the Thing meet the Hulk, or Thor, or whatever. I was a lot more intrigued by plots and the personal vicissitudes of the characters rather than fights. Of course, physical fights were often interesting, but to me they have often been the less interesting part of many stories.

In any case, I would have been with the Thing, even if I like ol' Dr. Banner. ;)

FF52CGC85.jpg

....what a pretty 8.5.....who needs a 9.4 with a copy like that ? It's easily one of my top 5 Kirby FF covers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Great point, Jimbo!!!! That presents so beautifully... :applause:

Hi all --

So here are my Schmelly results and my thoughts heading into the auction.

From my previous art sales and trades, I had a good chunk of change for the auction even knowing that I probably shouldn't try too hard to win since these prices will likely be the highest these books will see for a while. But logic has never stopped me from bidding before! :idea::insane:

My hope was to bag the FF #8 in 9.4 (Northland), which was gorgeous. I bid what I could, watched it get overtaken in the live auction, and then took one Boardie's advice and banged my head against my desk.

But with the funds back in my pocket, I had a second round of bids to put in on about five other books. I ended up with four of them, two at good deals, one at a decent price, and one at a ludicrous price since I put in the bid without remembering the 20% bump. :juggle:

So here are the four...thanks for looking! Dan

FF20.jpg

FF36.jpg

FF37.jpg

FF39.jpg

Thanks, Bob -- I thought the #37 was flat-out gorgeous and that's why I paid what I did...I know that a 9.6 can go for 8-10k, so I wasn't horrified by the final price. It was one of only two books I targeted as my first choices (along with the #8, which I missed.)

Dan

Hi all --

So here are my Schmelly results and my thoughts heading into the auction.

From my previous art sales and trades, I had a good chunk of change for the auction even knowing that I probably shouldn't try too hard to win since these prices will likely be the highest these books will see for a while. But logic has never stopped me from bidding before! :idea::insane:

My hope was to bag the FF #8 in 9.4 (Northland), which was gorgeous. I bid what I could, watched it get overtaken in the live auction, and then took one Boardie's advice and banged my head against my desk.

But with the funds back in my pocket, I had a second round of bids to put in on about five other books. I ended up with four of them, two at good deals, one at a decent price, and one at a ludicrous price since I put in the bid without remembering the 20% bump. :juggle:

So here are the four...thanks for looking! Dan

FF20.jpg

FF36.jpg

FF37.jpg

FF39.jpg

A feeling of absolute, blind, raging jealousy just swept over me. :eek::sorry:

Awesome pickups! :applause:

Hmmm...not sure I meant to inspire that response, but I guess it's a compliment!

What I was really pleased about is that the prices on the #20 and the #39 were excellent. The #36 was OK and the #37 terrible, but I feel good about the purchases. Didn't freak out and didn't get any books I'm not proud to add to my run.

A good day! :cloud9:

Dan

Hmmm...not sure I meant to inspire that response, but I guess it's a compliment!

It's the three year old in me who wants all the shiniest, nicest things, and wants them right now...and those are some shiny, nice FFs you've got there. :cloud9:

Thanks, Bob -- I thought the #37 was flat-out gorgeous and that's why I paid what I did...I know that a 9.6 can go for 8-10k, so I wasn't horrified by the final price. It was one of only two books I targeted as my first choices (along with the #8, which I missed.)

Dan

XLNT acquisitions Dan! :headbang: Love me some 37! Hell, love 'em all! :cloud9:

Fair enough...but you don't have these issues already in high grade? I know you're way beyond me in the quest for the FF run...

Not those specific issues in grades that high. I've mostly frozen my buying though, haven't picked anything up since early 2011.