• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

13,882 posts in this topic

Alright, thanks to all of your peer pressure (and I do mean thanks in a good way, not sarcastic), I've gone ahead with the purchase of that book in the teens. Hopefully, I'm not too late. And also, hopefully, I have set the low side of what grade I am willing to accept at a 7.0.

I'll probably end up with a 1.8 #1! :lol

But now, I'll cool it at the three books and save for SDCC, hoping for a fair deal on a single digit issue at 7.0 or better...

Today, Fantastic Four #1 CGC 7.0 is about a $13K to $17K book. In 2015, I expect it to be a $20K to $30K book, and it's verrrrrrrrrrry difficult to predict where in that range it will be. It has a decent possibility of being a $40K to $50K book by 2020. 7.0 copies of almost any other issue from 1 to 20 will only enjoy comparatively minor increases in that same 5-year timeframe with the exception of #5 and possibly #12, and they may remain flat.

I bought an 8.0 copy of FF #9 in 2002 that is worth about the same today as the price I paid back then. Contrast that with an 8.0 copy of #1 I missed out on in 2002--it sold for $14K, which at the time was quite high, and today is a $40K to $50K book. doh!

Ouch!

Where are you in Virginia? I grew up in Virginia Beach, and collected for many years from Trilogy Comic Shop, which I know is still there. Even bought my beat up copy of #8 from them when I was like 15, so long ago...

Also, I now know my grade for a #1 will be 1.8 or below. lol:cry:

Edited by furystorm

Where are you in Virginia? I grew up in Virginia Beach, and collected for many years from Trilogy Comic Shop, which I know is still there. Even bought my beat up copy of #8 from them when I was like 15, so long ago...

Around Richmond. I've been to Trilogy, cool shop. (thumbs u My weekly box is at Richmond Comix in Midlothian. http://richmondcomix.com

So I'm off and running with three books received in the past two days. Definitely going to take the advice given here and stick to 1-25 for now, unless a great deal in the higher range presents itself of course.

The stand out today is the #13 in CGC 7.0 which arrived about an hour ago. I was worried that I would not like the ultimate condition the book would present itself in, but gave it a shot anyway with a purchase. Well, I can definitely live with 7.0, and now I know it. I'm by no means rich, and it is probably ill advised to even go down this road, but I do love the FF.

I'm fairly certain that I will be after a #3 at SDCC, if the opportunity presents itself, and would like to shoot for at least 7.0, if not a touch higher. Of course I will be open to any single digit issue, but #3 is calling me right now.

Saving, saving, saving, selling stuff, and saving...

Have I lost my mind? lol

I've finally decided to jettison my entire collection aside from the few runs I treasure the most, and refocus on FF. I've been collecting comics since about 1985, off and on of course, but heavily in the past ten years. Now I have seen the error of my ways, and want to regain my love and passion for collecting.

Out with the new, and in with the old! :D

So with that, it has become my intention to create a run of FF from 1-100, all CGC. I'm sure I'll probably never own a 1, 2, 3, and some others, but it will be fun to try. Maybe I should become a doctor, or sell a kidney...

Your initial desire will be to buy high-grade copies of higher-numbered issues. You unfortunately will do yourself a HUGE disservice by doing this. Buying nice copies of #1 to #13 should be your earliest focus; you'll save yourself the most money by buying those first. They tend to go up the most over time, so figuring that it will take you 5 to 10 years to buy the whole 1 to 100 run in the condition you want, if you buy the 1 to 13 run last, it will end up costing you a lot more several years from now than it will today. Getting those issues out of the way first will maximize your spending dramatically.

The hard part is that you're likely to be the most enthusiastic now to get some issues and won't want to save up and wait for the early issues. Your ability to buy those early issues or the condition you're able to afford will go down every year you put them off. The later issues are far more available, and in high CGC grades will multiply in availability and decrease or stay flat in price far more than the early issues will, so buying later issues before the early ones is simultaneously the worst way to invest the money and the worst way to complete the entire run.

When you buy copies of 53 to 100, you should think to yourself that you're flushing money away better spent on early issues, and from a pure investment perspective, that isn't at all wrong--it's absolutely correct. That's the frame of mind that helps me save up for early key issues.

Good advice. Buy the early issues because they appreciate quicker, are more interesting from a historic standpoint and are more liquid if you decide to refocus or start collecting beanie babies.

This sales thread has 2 #12s and a #4 for reasonable prices. Both are wonderful

early issues.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4643660#Post4643660

Hey all!

Here are two new ones for my CGC 1-200 collection...I have about 30 books total.

FF 30 and 23:

FF30.jpg

FF23.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dan

(worship)

Love the eye appeal and White Pages on these books. Both are very fresh looking.

Congrats.

White Page Elitist! :baiting:

Seriously Dan...very NIIIZE! :headbang:

Thanks everyone. As soon as the 9 gets here, I will photograph / scan all four books I picked up this week and present them to you. Nothing astonishing here, as I've found my niche in the 7.0 range for the early issues, with off white to white or better I suppose. Still just getting the hang of all this. Can't wait to see my 9 and 13 together on the shelf.

BTW, I assume the CGC cases give no protection from light damage, so how can I display these safely?

Thanks everyone. As soon as the 9 gets here, I will photograph / scan all four books I picked up this week and present them to you. Nothing astonishing here, as I've found my niche in the 7.0 range for the early issues, with off white to white or better I suppose. Still just getting the hang of all this. Can't wait to see my 9 and 13 together on the shelf.

BTW, I assume the CGC cases give no protection from light damage, so how can I display these safely?

You could always keep them safe in the box and scan them instead -- then frame the scan.

Somehow, I don't see myself paying thousands of dollars for an FF run, and not displaying them somehow. Even if it means keeping the room darkening blinds down the entire day in my home office / collection room. I obviously don't want to keep them in the direct Las Vegas sunlight, but I want to see them too. I would like to be able to keep them on display in my collection cabinets, and keep them safe simultaneously.

I suppose I could apply UV protection on the glass cabinet doors...

In a room that's completely pitch black the 23 hours 50 minutes per day you're not looking at the books. Rooms people have to go in and out of throughout the day or even periodically are the last places to choose, and as you suggested, get sunlight-blocking curtains to keep both direct and ambient sunlight out. Use low-wattage incandescent bulbs for lighting; fluorescent emits more ultraviolet light and causes paper to fade faster. Extremely detailed info about conservation and lighting can be seen here:

http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/2The_Environment/04ProtectionFromLight.php

In a room that's completely pitch black the 23 hours 50 minutes per day you're not looking at the books. Rooms people have to go in and out of throughout the day or even periodically are the last places to choose, and as you suggested, get sunlight-blocking curtains to keep both direct and ambient sunlight out. Use low-wattage incandescent bulbs for lighting; fluorescent emits more ultraviolet light and causes paper to fade faster. Extremely detailed info about conservation and lighting can be seen here:

http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/2The_Environment/04ProtectionFromLight.php

I believe many of the issues about "comics and light" are somewhat blown out of proportion. You could leave your nice FF1 on your home office desk for 10 years and and it probably won't change the tone of it in the CGC case. It will probably see normal room light on a 90/10 basis.

Just don't take it to the beach... :makepoint:

I believe many of the issues about "comics and light" are somewhat blown out of proportion.

Based upon what?

Based on comments over the years on the Boards in general. I've had the same papers sitting on my office desk on and off for years and they still look brand new and white in a lights on/lights off environment. Understand I keep my goodies in a fireproof carpeted safe but it would take many many years in a 90/10 lights off/on environment to deterioriate comic paper esp in a CGC protected case. Yes light breaks down pulp and paper but at about the same longevity compared to a meteor's odds of hitting earth. IMO.

And yes, someone can probably prove me wrong with i'net science and facts.

I believe many of the issues about "comics and light" are somewhat blown out of proportion.

Based upon what?

Based on comments over the years on the Boards in general. I've had the same papers sitting on my office desk on and off for years and they still look brand new and white in a lights on/lights off environment. Understand I keep my goodies in a fireproof carpeted safe but it would take many many years in a 90/10 lights off/on environment to deterioriate comic paper esp in a CGC protected case. Yes light breaks down pulp and paper but at about the same longevity compared to a meteor's odds of hitting earth. IMO.

Rather than dazzling you with science I will relate a local comic horror story.

A LCS had a 6 high standup showcase with a light at the top. In that showcase was all the SA Marvel keys and a few DC keys. Over time the cover colors of the books faded. The books near the top and closest to the light source, AF15 and FF1, were so badly bleached that they were almost unrecognizable and the books near the bottom had faded but still had some color left. Light has a huge impact over time.

I color photocopied some of my favorite books and OA and framed them in cheap frames. They look pretty good.

Based upon what?

Rather than dazzling you with science I will relate a local comic horror story.

A LCS had a 6 high standup showcase with a light at the top. In that showcase was all the SA Marvel keys and a few DC keys. Over time the cover colors of the books faded. The books near the top and closest to the light source, AF15 and FF1, were so badly bleached that they were almost unrecognizable and the books near the bottom had faded but still had some color left. Light has a huge impact over time.

I color photocopied some of my favorite books and OA and framed them in cheap frames. They look pretty good.

Sure. But I'm speaking for the collector. Anyone (or a LCS) who hangs them in continuous light is asking for BIG trouble. :makepoint:

Save high resolution pix or scans of your favorite books, and use your computer and HDTV to look at them whenever you want. Or, keep your slabs in storage boxes and check them out when you're in the mood. (shrug)