• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

13,878 posts in this topic

I believe many of the issues about "comics and light" are somewhat blown out of proportion.

Based upon what?

Based on comments over the years on the Boards in general. I've had the same papers sitting on my office desk on and off for years and they still look brand new and white in a lights on/lights off environment. Understand I keep my goodies in a fireproof carpeted safe but it would take many many years in a 90/10 lights off/on environment to deterioriate comic paper esp in a CGC protected case. Yes light breaks down pulp and paper but at about the same longevity compared to a meteor's odds of hitting earth. IMO.

And yes, someone can probably prove me wrong with i'net science and facts.

Rather than dazzling you with science I will relate a local comic horror story.

A LCS had a 6 high standup showcase with a light at the top. In that showcase was all the SA Marvel keys and a few DC keys. Over time the cover colors of the books faded. The books near the top and closest to the light source, AF15 and FF1, were so badly bleached that they were almost unrecognizable and the books near the bottom had faded but still had some color left. Light has a huge impact over time.

I color photocopied some of my favorite books and OA and framed them in cheap frames. They look pretty good.

Sure. But I'm speaking for the collector. Anyone (or a LCS) who hangs them in continuous light is asking for BIG trouble. :makepoint:

Avoid flourescent bulbs....incandescant are much safer. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So, I'm totally new to collecting CGC, but I'm off an running with my FF run. I would like to ultimately have 1-100 in CGC, but am after a complete run. Since starting only this month, I've narrowed my focus from the 1-100 to 1-50, with more interest in 1-25 for now. Although I did just pick up a 48 from eBay in 7.0 which will arrive next week.

For the time being these are my first four:

9 in 7.0, once I determined that I could live with the 7.0 grade, I went after this one, especially to get the need for a single digit issue out of my system. And it does not disappoint!

5551195496_c90b43f8b2.jpg

13 in 7.0, very pleased with this one, from the board!

5551201112_29cf3af718.jpg

59 in 9.4, from a fellow board member, but before I found the board I guess. My first one!

5551211210_5d2759cab8.jpg

82 in 9.4, learned from this one to read the labels more carefully, because this one is cream to off white, and I think I would like to stay in the ow/w range...

5551214824_5e119752ba.jpg

LOOKING GOOD! (thumbs u

I love #13 for some reason, and it can be one of the tougher early ones to find, so you did well getting it early on. I wasn't able to land a nice copy for five long years. :pullhair:

Ah yes, the poor house. I'll see you there.

Here's a few of my new FF's from the 'Big 3' auctions from the past two nights. Bid too high and ended up winning (funny that)...but at least I don't have these three books to chase anymore. Am thrilled with the #17, which I thought would go even higher.

FF17.jpg

FF43.jpg

FFA6.jpg

What awesome FF's did others nab?

Dan

Ah yes, the poor house. I'll see you there.

What awesome FF's did others nab?

Dan

You will indeed. I won the FF #23 from the '10288' collection. Was crushed on the 9.4 #31 from the collection, which went for a staggering $3,200.

Hey Bob!

Great snag on the #23...I just got myself a 9.2 recently as well. Fun cover.

Hmmm...why do you say the #31 in 9.4 went for a "staggering" amount? The Mass copy sold for $3500 last fall and it's one of the tougher FF's in high grade (only 1 9.6, although 10 9.4's now). I thought it was just about right?

Congrats again,

Dan

Hmmm...why do you say the #31 in 9.4 went for a "staggering" amount? The Mass copy sold for $3500 last fall and it's one of the tougher FF's in high grade (only 1 9.6, although 10 9.4's now). I thought it was just about right?

Dan

Because I'm old, Dan. I remember passing on the $200 Pacific Coast copy back in '99 that I believe is now the lone 9.6 slabbed copy. :o

I sure liked looking at the 9.2 #11 in the C-Link auction. Went for a ton though.