• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2024 at 12:33 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I semi-recently picked this up at a local shop and don't remember ever having read it before. :jawdrop:

Fantastic Four 76 (2).jpg

Finding peak-era Kirby stories that I’ve never read is a rare treat! I envy anyone getting to experience a Kirby FF for the first time.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:06 PM, Ameri said:

The one on the right displays more outer space at the top edge. Most copies I've seen are like the one on the left. 

ff 24 combo fix.jpg

First glance, it looks like a nice black felt pen 🖊️ used at the top edge 😵

Mine too. I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever before even seen a copy with a black top edge like that.

IMG_1367.thumb.jpeg.62b65b1b5467070162ad963c5fe89c03.jpeg

Probably saw one here.

I remember now.

Edited by KirbyJack

On 2/27/2024 at 12:55 PM, KirbyJack said:

Nice copies of a fondly remembered story. Beautiful pictures, but they don’t quite match the words. And sometimes the words don’t make sense.

But none of that kept me from reading FF 76 about 300 times as a kid! 

The more I reread this run,  the more I can literally find places where it's like Stan is turning the page and seeing the artwork and just having his characters react at the same time he is as he goes along. A lot of the clumsiness in some of these issues I think comes from that.  The last one that struck me is the first panel of page 18 of FF 58.  It's like such an awkward way to start the page verbally, and it feels like Jack's intention for the pacing was not something where Reed is telling Wyatt not to shoot and he can't tell why even though there's his best friend on fire in between him and the target.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:09 AM, Corvonie said:

PS has anyone here published a guide or rig setup for shooting slabs?  I can't ever seem to get a good pic.

My pictures aren’t super great, but I have the most luck using natural, indirect light.

IMG_1494.thumb.jpeg.9a31f9583b4f1d24a3a616c3642b37c7.jpeg

You can see, I still get reflections, but I think they’re good enough for most purposes.