• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Hi - my sales thread was moved from the GA/SA/BA sales forum because of duplicate postings in the Mixed sales forum. I have removed the duplicates from the Mixed sales forum - do I now need to repost my thread that was moved from the GA/SA/BA sales forum or can a Mod put it back ? If the Mod puts it back, I can then remove the duplicates from the GA/SA/BA thread. Thanks.

• Administrator

Added a guideline around trade offers:

Added trading rule: If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept cash.

Thoughts? Objections?

Only thing I could see a problem with there Arch is peoples differing views on books/items offered up for trade.

Like someone says 'I will take $200 worth of trades for this book'. The interested buyer offers a book he thinks is worth $200 but the seller only values it at $100. May cause a few arguments that otherwise wouldn't happen (shrug)

I may be wrong but just my 2c (thumbs u

Well, I still don't think yesterday's trade post violated any guidelines, and I've commented on improper sales posts in the past.

Anyways, especially since trade threads are few and far between, I don't see any major problems with the new guideline.

Only thing I could see a problem with there Arch is peoples differing views on books/items offered up for trade.

Like someone says 'I will take $200 worth of trades for this book'. The interested buyer offers a book he thinks is worth $200 but the seller only values it at $100. May cause a few arguments that otherwise wouldn't happen (shrug)

You'll always have differing opinions on what books are worth. (shrug) It's no different than a seller putting a book up for $1000 and a buyer sending a lowball offer of $500 because he thinks that's all it's really worth.

You'll always have differing opinions on what books are worth. (shrug) It's no different than a seller putting a book up for $1000 and a buyer sending a lowball offer of $500 because he thinks that's all it's really worth.

Not really. Somebody wants $1,000 cash for a book then there's no arguing that $500 isn't worth $1,000. The buyers valuation of a book doesn't even come into it if the sellers price is firm. Whether the book is overpriced or not - or if the book even sells for that matter - is different to what I was talking about.

Valuations of books differ from person to person so it's not like lowballing at all. The potential 'buyer' believes the book/s he's offered are worth what the seller asked for, whereas the seller disagrees.

Not really. Somebody wants $1,000 cash for a book then there's no arguing that $500 isn't worth $1,000. The buyers valuation of a book doesn't even come into it if the sellers price is firm. Whether the book is overpriced or not - or if the book even sells for that matter - is different to what I was talking about.

Valuations of books differ from person to person so it's not like lowballing at all. The potential 'buyer' believes the book/s he's offered are worth what the seller asked for, whereas the seller disagrees.

Right, but those arguments between values should take place via PM just as discussion on offers for lower sale prices takes place.

Right, but those arguments between values should take place via PM just as discussion on offers for lower sale prices takes place.

Agreed. But wouldn't those arguments be avoided if sellers stated books they were looking for or interested in taking as opposed to a dollar value of books?

I may be looking for a negative where there isn't one.

Agreed. But wouldn't those arguments be avoided if sellers stated books they were looking for or interested in taking as opposed to a dollar value of books?

I may be looking for a negative where there isn't one.

I think that would yield a much more... targeted thread; however, you might someone offering a book that the initial poster hadn't thought of and would be equally interested in. There hasn't been a major outcry for a venue of this sort, so I don't think it will result in too much confusion.

I have to agree there doesn't seem a lot of call for trades, but if there was a dedicated thread for it would it's popularity rise? I'm not championing the idea as I don't have anything I could trade and I prefer straight purchases, but I can't see how a trade sub-forum would hurt if guidelines and procedures were written up first (shrug)

i agree tthat it would probably be best incorporated into the want to buy area, maybe convolute that as well by having 10 different sub categories in the wtb area.

:jokealert:

but it feels like it would be a better fit in the wtb area to me, but then again i am no one.

j

Edited by Junkenstein99

Are people allowed to give things away for the price of shipping? Because I have been cleaning out my closet and have a pile of what is frankly junk that I very much doubt anyone would be willing to money for. I would rather give it away than throw it away and maybe there are people who would take it for the price of shipping. Free Comic Book Day books, freebies, promotional giveaways, old Wizard/Scrye magazines, some Previews magazines, that sort of thing.

EDIT: I ask because the guidelines clearly state you must have a dollar value. If I put up an asking price of one penny would that be seen as gaming the system?

Are people allowed to give things away for the price of shipping? Because I have been cleaning out my closet and have a pile of what is frankly junk that I very much doubt anyone would be willing to money for. I would rather give it away than throw it away and maybe there are people who would take it for the price of shipping. Free Comic Book Day books, freebies, promotional giveaways, old Wizard/Scrye magazines, some Previews magazines, that sort of thing.

EDIT: I ask because the guidelines clearly state you must have a dollar value. If I put up an asking price of one penny would that be seen as gaming the system?

Folks do it occasionally,so go for it!

OR,you could donate the whole lot to a childrens hospital,best feeling in the world :cloud9:

You aren't gaming the system if your giving away stuff for free or just shipping.

I done it once or twice (the last was a Overstreet I "sold" for $4 just to cover the shipping).

I've seen others do it often, but not as much lately.

You aren't gaming the system if your giving away stuff for free or just shipping.

I done it once or twice (the last was a Overstreet I "sold" for $4 just to cover the shipping).

I've seen others do it often, but as much lately.

I'll take some free stuff Chris :baiting:

Folks do it occasionally,so go for it!

OR,you could donate the whole lot to a childrens hospital,best feeling in the world :cloud9:

Thank you kindly for answering my question. I had not considered donating the stuff to a hospital. Unfortunately, there is nothing worthy of being donated.

Hello,

I received a note from you on my postings of Spider and Shadow pulp maagines under Comic Marketplace-Forum only selling"--I then listed them under Golden Age"

I went over the guidelines and they seem to comply, if I have violated anything, please list why, and how I can fix them.

Dwight

After looking your situation over, it's obviously this one:

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

You create a new thread for every single book you sell. doh!