• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber 7's and above please! Can I see a 10?

661 posts in this topic

can anyone please tell me if this (NewAdventure#23) grades a gerber 7 or above?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=170288&page=1&fpart=641

Thanks,

B.

New Adventure #23 has a Gerber scarcity index (SI) of 8, which estimates 11-20 copies exist. (thumbs u

can anyone please tell me if this (NewAdventure#23) grades a gerber 7 or above?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=170288&page=1&fpart=641

Thanks,

B.

I think fuelman is right that it is an 8! It is far scarcer than Gerber stipulates.....with only a few other issues of that run being harder to find.

NA 23 :cloud9:

what about this one :cloud9:???

tec2.jpg

This one is listed as a Gerber 9 which indicates there should only be a total of 6 -10 total copies in existence.

No so sure about the accuracy of this scarcity rating here, especially in light of the fact that the CGC census shows a total of 7 copies slabbed so far. hm

well there are 7 copies in the cgc census (not including mine), so i would say that it is definitely not as scarce as that. im guessing this one is way-off on the gerber scale......

hello all...

I wouldn't say "way" off...maybe 20-25 copies are out there?...it is definitely scarce...I can tell you that Win cracked his 2.5, so that is not slabbed any more!

rick

didnt you have a 4.0?

thats not in the census.......

and im guessing there are as many raw as slabbed copies out there too...

nope, no 4.0 for me (I wish!)...I passed on the 2.5 that Win bought last year (bonehead move on my part, but I was more focused on pre-robin, post batman tecs!)

gator

I'm new and haven't read every single post yet, so forgive me if I rehash stuff that's been said here and in other threads.

I don't think I have any 10's but I have a couple of 9's and some 7's and 8's. I don't necessarily agree with all the Gerber ratings. For instance, Marvel Mystery #1 is only a 5? Between 200 and 1000 exist? I'm a little skeptical about that one. It seems like it should be a 7. Meanwhile, Captain America's Weird Tales #74 gets an 8, but I'm certain there are more than 11 to 20. It just takes big $$ to shake them out of someone's collection. Cool book, though, wish I had one, I'm just not willing to pay mega-bucks for a copy.

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 is a 9. Does anyone know for certain how many there are? I don't think the person who found them made a note of the exact number. Back in the 70's, I think the Overstreet guide said there were about five or six, but the current guide says "eight copies (plus one coverless) were discovered in 1974" but then further on says the pay copy was discovered after 1974, "bringing the total known to nine." So....is that nine copies total, including the coverless one, or nine plus the coverless one, which is really ten?

All-Negro Comics #1 is a 9. I upgraded from a copy to a pretty nice one, and I've seen a few others out there occasionally, so I wonder if it's truly a 9 or more like....an 8.5.

I think some mid - 50's DC's earn their Gerber ratings:

Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog #1, #2, #3 are 7's. #1 - 4 were all pretty tough for me to find.

Sugar & Spike #1 is a 7. This is the second copy I've owned and it's an upgrade from a crappy Fair to a pretty nice VG+. I don't think I've seen a high-grade copy of this book, and it's tough to find in any grade.

Legends of Daniel Boone #8 is an 8. That kind of surprised me, I didn't think it was that scarce, but maybe I was just lucky.

Anyway, if the point of this thread was to post scans of the rare books then I don't want anyone to throw rocks at me, so sooner or later I'll go get some of them out of the crypt and post them.

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

We have other threads noting a need to take Gerber and Overstreet scarcity rankings with a grain of salt. They did/do their best but it's an inexact science and feedback like you just provided is very helpful. (thumbs u

To post a picture is pretty easy assuming you have saved your scans as a .jpg file and the size is 200K or less.

Right below the box where you post a reply you'll see a link for "File Manager". Click on that and you'll be able to select a jpg file to post on the boards. If you run into trouble just post your question -- we'll be glad to help.

There is only 1 goldenage KEY that is a Gerber 10.

Care to guess? I have mentioned it before. It isnt MPFW. It isnt The Big book of fun comics[a 9] It isnt a Marvel. It isnt a D.C...........But it is a very important key book.

Care to guess? I have mentioned it before. It isnt MPFW. It isnt The Big book of fun comics[a 9] It isnt a Marvel. It isnt a D.C...........But it is a very important key book.

funny stuff 34?

(shrug)

Obidiah Oldbuck? (shrug)