• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,888 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 12:35 AM, flashlites said:

Recently I was talking with a fellow boardie about the importance of SC4 and comparing it to Action Comics #1. Where as Action 1 created the genre and the beginning of the Golden Age of heroes, SC4 marks the day the heroes made a come back and the beginning of the Silver Age. The two most important comics in the history of comics. If either of these experiments had failed we would not be talking about comics today. To me SC4 stands just as tall as Action1. What are your thoughts?

I think Action 1 and Tec 27 stand alone. Next tier down is SC4 and FF 1. Also think the importance of SC8 is not appreciated as it introduced the difference between GA & SA, the colourful costumed super villain. That is what separates DC from what Archie comics was doing at the time, Kirby's Private strong and the Fly. They failed, captain Cold, Mr Element, Mirror Master succeeded. (now not sure how Grodd fits into that but that trilogy 106-108 certainly held it together until MM returned in 109.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:35 AM, flashlites said:

Recently I was talking with a fellow boardie about the importance of SC4 and comparing it to Action Comics #1. Where as Action 1 created the genre and the beginning of the Golden Age of heroes, SC4 marks the day the heroes made a come back and the beginning of the Silver Age. The two most important comics in the history of comics. If either of these experiments had failed we would not be talking about comics today. To me SC4 stands just as tall as Action1. What are your thoughts?

If SC #4 was a Atlas/Marvel book, it would be praised to high heaven. However, it's "just" a DC.

If you don't agree that SC #4 was one (not the only one) of the most influential books of the SA, I would like you to name your top 5. Don't forget BatB #28, the first team book in the SA. Again, it's "just" a DC.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 5/6/2022 at 6:27 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I think Action 1 and Tec 27 stand alone. Next tier down is SC4 and FF 1. Also think the importance of SC8 is not appreciated as it introduced the difference between GA & SA, the colorful costumed super villain.

I agree with the importance of SC #8. However, I think the Joker, the Catwoman, and the Riddler would qualify as colorful costumed super villain. Just MHO.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:22 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

That looks like a very nice 8.0 some people may be thinking of re-pressing and resubmitting.

Grader notes say the cover has light multiple creases and tears which you can see along the bottom edge and around the lower spine of the front cover in the image. From my experience, I doubt the book could get a higher grade with those defects.

Edited by Jaylam

On 5/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, silverseeker said:

This book is from the Truckee Meadows collection, which is discussed here...

I think most (if not all) of the books from that collection so far have white pages, which is crazy...

Thanks for directing me to this thread! Its amazing! 

Wow just read through the Truckee Meadows thread! Lots more DC to come in June. Of course everyone is gushing over the Marvels in this collection - but it is mostly DC apparently. From the few pics shared I spotted 3 Flash annuals and a 105 peeking out from under a pile. The OO regularly bought double and triples, very interesting! How much more Flash will there be??

On 5/6/2022 at 11:08 PM, flashlites said:

Wow just read through the Truckee Meadows thread! Lots more DC to come in June. Of course everyone is gushing over the Marvels in this collection - but it is mostly DC apparently. From the few pics shared I spotted 3 Flash annuals and a 105 peeking out from under a pile. The OO regularly bought double and triples, very interesting! How much more Flash will there be??

Yes sir, there are a lot of books that I'd like to have from this collection, but alas, at least to me, money is an object.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:08 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Did anyone else notice this copy of Flash #108 CGC 7.0 for sale on Ebay.  It was sold about a week ago for $835, but now it's back up for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313979538337?hash=item491aa38ba1:g:mpEAAOSwpWpibpvg

Nice one! Looks similar to my copy from my 80's collection. But I tend to remember all my old books as being in better condition than they probably actually were.  :roflmao:

On 5/8/2022 at 2:08 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Did anyone else notice this copy of Flash #108 CGC 7.0 for sale on Ebay.  It was sold about a week ago for $835, but now it's back up for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313979538337?hash=item491aa38ba1:g:mpEAAOSwpWpibpvg

Being sold by My Comic Shop. I don't see it as a sold listing on ebay's site, and I don't see it on My Comic Shop's site either, just on ebay, which is kind of strange because whatever they have listed on ebay you can also find on their site (for a lot less than their ebay price). 

On 5/8/2022 at 10:40 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Surprised, 139 has been stable at best recently. I know it is White pages but that is a very serious price.

That's about what the last 9.0 went for, but that's been a few years now. For an 8.0, that's a record price that beat the old record by $840. Wow!

On 5/9/2022 at 10:05 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I took a screen shot of the Flash #108 in 7.0 that's on Ebay.

image.jpeg.348bbe1a8a4c614179e54c3b6fbf1a5e.jpeg

She's a real beauty no doubt about that! It just goes to show that as this hobby progresses and a new generation of collectors come into the fold (with big bucks), the true rarity of these early DC's in high grade are bound to sky rocket. We as the old guard of Flash collectors are all too aware. This was 1959, heroes were just beginning to make a come back, almost no one was really collecting these things. These books were bought off the spinner racks by kids who took them home and read them 2 and 3 times, traded them with their friends, They were stuffed under beds, thrown in toy boxes and sadly most were just thrown away in a year or less. The fact that any survived in this condition is a miracle. Marvel collectors on the other hand came in 2-3 years later and many were bought by older readers and the first inkling of real collectors were starting to develop. Still amazing to see a SA Marvel in 7.0 or above but a little more common.  

Edited by flashlites

On 5/9/2022 at 11:05 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I took a screen shot of the Flash #108 in 7.0 that's on Ebay.

image.jpeg.348bbe1a8a4c614179e54c3b6fbf1a5e.jpeg

It is now up on "mycomicshop.com" for $685. I checked the grader notes and it say the cover is detached at the top staple. I wondered what was holding it back as it looks nicer than your average 7.0.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, Jaylam said:

It is now up on "mycomicshop.com" for $685. I checked the grader notes and it say the cover is detached at the top staple. I wondered what was holding it back as it looks nicer than your average 7.0.

That figures, as the book looks more like a 8.5 at least.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:04 PM, frozentundraguy said:

That figures, as the book looks more like a 8.5 at least.

If it was higher grade it might have gotten a green "Qualified" label for that detached cover. I'm not sure what the break off is to still get a blue label. I had a 6.5 blue label with a cover detachment, but also had a 9.2 with the same problem and it got the green label.