• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,858 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, frozentundraguy said:

After several years of searching off and on to replace my old copy of Flash #108, I finally located another copy.  :cloud9:The books arrived yesterday & my neighbor was nice enough to retrieve from my front steps as I was out of town.

Scan0964.JPG

Love this issue!

On 9/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, frozentundraguy said:

After several years of searching off and on to replace my old copy of Flash #108, I finally located another copy.  :cloud9:The books arrived yesterday & my neighbor was nice enough to retrieve from my front steps as I was out of town.

Scan0964.JPG

I believe this one and #109 were the last of the 1950's Flash issues. On Flash's 75th birthday, me and my son threw a birthday party for Flash and invited all his friends to come in costume as their favorite superhero. In our guest bedroom I hung on the wall one issue from each decade to display a visual history for the kids. My Silver Age collection still had huge gaps in it. I remember telling the kids that there were only 8 or 9 Flash comics published in the 1950's. On the wall proudly representing the 1950's was my only comic from that decade, a coverless copy of 107. Great memories! I will try and dig up a photo from that day. We had a Flash cake and everything. Good times!

Interesting Flash through the decades. (thumbsu I know the 50's S.A. Flash issues are pretty scarce. For me it's pretty cool to reconnect with issue #108 as that was my first Flash acquisition when I delved into collecting in the late 90's. If memory serves correctly I gathered up 20 or 25 issues of Mad Magazine that I had and made a trip to the LCS to see what I might get in trade. It turned out those issues of Mad were enough to secure a copy of Flash #108 and another modest early B.A. issue.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:16 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Interesting Flash through the decades. (thumbsu I know the 50's S.A. Flash issues are pretty scarce. For me it's pretty cool to reconnect with issue #108 as that was my first Flash acquisition when I delved into collecting in the late 90's. If memory serves correctly I gathered up 20 or 25 issues of Mad Magazine that I had and made a trip to the LCS to see what I might get in trade. It turned out those issues of Mad were enough to secure a copy of Flash #108 and another modest early B.A. issue.

108 was also one of my earliest SA Flash comics. Special cover and issue for me. In my first attempt at completing the run back in the late 70's and 80's, my copy of 108 was the lowest # I was able to obtain in those years.

On 9/16/2022 at 8:43 PM, flashlites said:

Some say every comic is a little piece of comic book history...but that book wow! The day the Silver Age began! The day the heroes started to make their comeback! The making of a new era! Just an amazing piece of history to own. In my mind there's Action Comics #1 (and of course Detective Comics #27 and for us Flash Fans, Flash Comics #1) and then there's Showcase #4. AC#1 the beginning of an era and then SC#4 the rebirth of a new era! Two huge marks on the industry, without these books what would we be talking about here?

Agree 100%. For the longest time it was just opt of reach for me, and when I could grab one I was usually the under bidder. I have long felt it was the foundation of the hobby as I knew it.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:58 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Scan0964.JPG

That is one nice-looking copy!  Congrats!

On 9/27/2022 at 1:25 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Hard to believe that issue #123 only has a token bid of one dollar with 5 days to go. hm

Well, to be fair, Heritage only opens up the bidding on their Sunday-Monday auctions on Tuesday morning, so I screen-shot this right after the auction went up. It's up to a whopping $3 now, lol.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:36 PM, flashlites said:

In other news...It looks like the hurricane is headed right for Sarasota!!! Does CGC have a storm proof facility? 

Yes, they have posted a news release concerning this. Unfortunately, it's looking more and more like that area may take a direct hit. That may impact their staffing and ability to conduct business for a while as infrastructure and employee's homes will most certainly be devastated. Hope everyone gets out safely.

Hurricane Ian Update | CGC (cgccomics.com)

Edited by Jaylam

FYI for you big fans for this incredible writer/artist duo of Carmine Infantino and John Broome the team that helped usher in the Silver Age. They teamed up on issues #105-#194. Truly an amazing, long lasting team up! But Flash was not new to them. They both had assignments working in Flash Comics in the Golden Age. They teamed up on aforementioned Flash Comics #95. After that they worked on issues #100, 101 and 103 together. They would have to wait a decade before working on Flash again. It is a bucket list comic wish of mine to own at least one of those 4 comics! 

Edited by flashlites