• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2022 at 6:38 PM, Point Five said:

Fair nuff! If you want better-crafted stories, you might consider giving ECs a go. For quality content I'd put them above just about anything in the GA (and most of the SA as well). (thumbsu

I'd also recommend Fiction House-- Planet Comics and Ranger Comics both had some really great stories and art in them.  

On 8/3/2022 at 5:13 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

4FA24F94-2FDB-4E41-991B-F10C4BE16C89.jpeg

Did someone draw a Hitler mustache on Supes?!  :frown:  ON BOTH SUPERMANS???  And then added the story line, "in this issue!" :ohnoez:

On 8/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, Yorick said:

Did someone draw a Hitler mustache on Supes?!  :frown:  ON BOTH SUPERMANS???  And then added the story line, "in this issue!" :ohnoez:

Yes unfortunately the original owner did. I don’t believe it’s possible to remove it either at least that’s what several people I talked to have told me.

On 8/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, Yorick said:

Also I don’t think they are “Hitler mustaches”. What is worse is the kid wrote “in this issue Superman grows a mustache” but there is no story like that in this issue. :whatthe:

Edited by Ghastly542454

On 8/6/2022 at 6:27 PM, Snapshot777 said:

New to the site and comics in general. I recently acquired a small collection of Golden Age books and I am here to learn more. 

Untouched for a very long time, the books are complete and color is good. 

I have scanned a few examples, Enjoy!

All Star Comics_26.jpg

Batman_15.jpg

Batman_31.jpg

Detective Comics_98.jpg

Action Comics 89.jpg

Indeed! Got a few more samples?

About 90 books total, most are complete. This is a cover only that was in the stack, too bad the book is gone. The ad's are pretty cool on the inside cover though. I am scanning everything in and placing them in acid free bag/boards. It's been fun looking at all the amazing artwork.

Action Comics_31.jpg

Action Comics_31(inside cover0.jpg

On 8/7/2022 at 10:21 AM, Snapshot777 said:

About 90 books total, most are complete. This is a cover only that was in the stack, too bad the book is gone. The ad's are pretty cool on the inside cover though. I am scanning everything in and placing them in acid free bag/boards. It's been fun looking at all the amazing artwork.

Action Comics_31.jpg

These books you are showing us all appear to have been very well preserved.  The whites appear WHITE and the colors are blazing!!:cloud9:

@Snapshot777 some of those batmans can be pressed in order to deal with the waviness (water damage), and potentially some of the staining might be able to be removed.  It may be worth the cost for the #84.  2c

Post as many books as you like!!

If you'd like members here to give you an idea of the grades, there is a forum where you may post pictures of a book and receive feedback: https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

On 8/7/2022 at 11:39 AM, Snapshot777 said:

I though so, looking good for almost 80 years old! They were packed away around 1955 in a family move and forgotten about. Some are in stunning condition and others suffered depending on what wooden crate they were in. 

Like this small Batman run.. damage apparent all over. Still cool they exist!  

(I am not sure the etiquette and don't want to over post images, I am having fun sharing!)

Batman_81.jpg

Batman_82.jpg

Batman_83.jpg

Batman_84.jpg

I don't think you'll get any complaints about sharing these.  Congrats!