• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,446 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 4:48 AM, Grottu said:

Recent raw find…need to fix a slight spine roll and go about safely erasing the super-valuable “James” pedigree…

2D5F139E-254E-4C65-A99C-368AA70A3E30.jpeg

Maybe remove the spine roll but I would leave the name. It is small and in pencil. It is just part of it’s history. 

On 5/16/2022 at 10:32 AM, Point Five said:

Great stuff, @Larryw7. Are you going for a run of GA Batmans, or just cherrypicking issues you like?

I would like to have a GA run, but the first 10 issues have become so expensive I doubt I'll be ever to get most of them.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, Yorick said:

Eraser marks really show on yellow backgrounds.  I've passed on plenty of books with erased yellow areas.  Be careful, please.

Just a followup on this, since a few raised (understandable) concerns about trying to remove a penciled name. Turns out young James had a heavy hand, and his signature, as well as a date or something inscribed in the letter F in the title, left significant indentations. To be prudent, I decided against trying to remove it completely and instead settled on doing a light mitigation to soften the appearance, along with getting out much of the spine roll. So, James's imprint on history is secure :) Here's a before-and-after...

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 12.49.57 PM.png

Edited by Grottu

On 5/18/2022 at 8:03 AM, Grottu said:

Just a followup on this, since a few raised (understandable) concerns about trying to remove a penciled name. Turns out young James had a heavy hand, and his signature, as well as a date or something inscribed in the letter F in the title, left significant indentations. To be prudent, I decided against trying to remove it completely and instead settled on doing a light mitigation to soften the appearance, along with getting out much of the spine roll. So, James's imprint on history is secure :) Here's a before-and-after...

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 12.49.57 PM.png

Nice work on that spine roll.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:21 PM, Yorick said:

Have you looked up this case?  Very interesting... hm

I just read what Sparkle City included with each book.  I’ll take a picture and post this evening.  Pretty cool.  It’s the case where DC sued Fawcett in 1948 over Captain Marvel being a rip of Supes I think.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:01 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I just read what Sparkle City included with each book.  I’ll take a picture and post this evening.  Pretty cool.  It’s the case where DC sued Fawcett in 1948 over Captain Marvel being a rip of Supes I think.

Very cool!  :applause:

On 5/21/2022 at 6:07 AM, Straw-Man said:

8A7DC898-A34D-4A62-A0F2-54A7DEFF6EA7.jpe

So those two on the left were just going to stand by and watch to see if the blind hermit with an "empty" leash stepped into the bear trap?!