• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2023 at 3:51 PM, Treco said:

Snagged this last night. I wish it had better page quality, but I think the positives outweigh that fact. This is not a book you see too often. Looking back on the past sales, it seems that this one was originally from the Prospect Mountain Collection. Anyway, I love it! 

F834BE5B-B9D2-42A3-81B6-A7895DC582FE.jpeg

Cool book. Prices were strong for the most part, even on the non-war books. One or two books (like the Wonder Comics 10 VGF @ $2880) went for way higher than anyone could've expected.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:01 PM, goldust40 said:

Cool book. Prices were strong for the most part, even on the non-war books. One or two books (like the Wonder Comics 10 VGF @ $2880) went for way higher than anyone could've expected.

Thanks! Yeah, I saw some of those totals. I paid more for this one than I thought I’d have to. C’est la vie. 

On 2/24/2023 at 7:51 AM, Treco said:

Snagged this last night. I wish it had better page quality, but I think the positives outweigh that fact. This is not a book you see too often. Looking back on the past sales, it seems that this one was originally from the Prospect Mountain Collection. Anyway, I love it! 

F834BE5B-B9D2-42A3-81B6-A7895DC582FE.jpeg

Sweet pick up!!! I think alot of these books had decent  page quality. I got one my self too. Only 11 on the census. 
There was a lot of books that undersold. Definitely some deals. :popcorn:

C49C55C5-7A05-42C3-8BBB-D5FFF61E053B.png

On 2/20/2023 at 10:52 PM, Bart Allen said:

Also I sure have and I've seen your thread -- not sure I agree with the price of #25, let alone his other MM/YM books lol

It's all speculative whether or not the character is adapted (which the seller is banking on -- no pun intended lol) ~

Even if he’s not adapted, it’s a big Marvel character first appearance so who knows.

I mean, what if they got it slabbed and put it up at one of the big auction houses…?

On 2/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, adamstrange said:

Different scanner or different settings?

Different settings. There are some stock settings pre-programmed in that we played with a bit. Still a little darker than the old scanner but much better than those from a couple of days ago.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:05 PM, MrBedrock said:

Picked up a couple of cool old comics in the shop today...

Don't keep us in suspense; slide 'em out from behind those bland Batboys.   :baiting:

On 2/27/2023 at 6:05 PM, MrBedrock said:

Picked up a couple of cool old comics in the shop today...

batman1and2.jpg

"Picked up" as in somebody walked into the shop with them? If so, great to think that this still happens. 

On 2/22/2023 at 2:59 PM, zzutak said:

Here's a side-by side comparison with my Microtek i800 scan (which is a very accurate representation of my book's "true" appearance).  We report, you decide.  :foryou:  :hi:

165518367_AdW06-B.jpg.3755f006a7c479b589467b7915bb80fb.jpg  1270440730_AdW06-60-MH.thumb.jpg.fe3abd524d8ca6b29b09b08adaef31f9.jpg

Irrelevant to the scanner discussion but it's interesting that Church copies have been a bit up and down over the years--or, at any rate, that's my impression. I'd guess that if both these books were auctioned now, the Church copy would hammer for more despite being a significantly lower grade. I think 10 years ago, the reverse would have been true. 

Similarly, not too long ago Okajimas didn't get much of a premium. Now, probably because of discussion on the boards, they get what may be the largest premium of any ped.

The Promise books also commanded a significant premium, even though it seemed to me that more than a few of them were overgraded. I thought that may have been a passing mania but they seem to be doing pretty well when flipped.