• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

The boards seem a little slow these days. Are you guys actually working at work???

First up is a real hard to find Speed Comics #26. A great American flag/Nazi cover. These Speeds in the number 20's seem real hard to find.

comspeed26_zpse5895ca3.jpg

Speaking of Speed Comics, here is another very unusual item. Now, if you thing the comics are hard to find, try locating one of these. This is the Shock Gibson Speed Comics membership kit. I've seen a few of the pinbacks but this is the only complete kit I know of. The cover reproduction is slightly oversize and blank on back. For some reason, this stuff does not appeal to most comic collectors. I feel they go hand in hand and are an interesting extension to the comics themselves.

speedcomicskit_zps800e91b5.jpg

:takeit:

VERY nice! Love the white on that one. 'Ole Edgar sure took care of his books. I wonder if he even ever read them or was just one of those compulsive buyers?

Speed24MH_zpsbf5901f2.jpg

Edgar Church was a commercial illustrator and painter. He collected comics as an adult. I suspect he also bought and kept other contemporary magazines and pulps of the era, filing everything away as a source of ideas. I'm assuming he submitted work to various publishers of the era with the idea of getting work published, but not a lot is known about the specifics of his career or his rationale for building and maintaining such an awesome collection.

VERY nice! Love the white on that one. 'Ole Edgar sure took care of his books. I wonder if he even ever read them or was just one of those compulsive buyers?

Edgar Church was a commercial illustrator and painter. He collected comics as an adult. I suspect he also bought and kept other contemporary magazines and pulps of the era, perhaps using the magazines as a source of ideas. He may have submitted work to various publishers of the era with the idea of getting work published, but not a lot is known about the specifics of his career or his rationale for building and maintaining such an awesome collection.

Didn't Chuck say that Edgar's family told him this was Edgar's rationale for collecting the books? Given how they were mostly piled up unread, though, it seems an indication of compulsive behavior. My 5 cent psychoanalysis.

I'm trying to think of another 1945 cover showing U.S. and Soviet troops. I'm not sure there is one.

cap27.jpg

Edgar Church was a commercial illustrator and painter. He collected comics as an adult. I suspect he also bought and kept other contemporary magazines and pulps of the era, filing everything away as a source of ideas. I'm assuming he submitted work to various publishers of the era with the idea of getting work published, but not a lot is known about the specifics of his career or his rationale for building and maintaining such an awesome collection.

Yeah, that is the story and I believe it but something in me tells me he was a bit compullsive and obsessive. The only ones that appear ever read are the ones he got used. I remember buying a stack from Chuck after he got them. A couple made that slow "pop" noise when opened like the ink was still stuck to the paper. I opened a few and when I heard that sound, I just left them alone.

Oh man, that's purty Richard! Someday I hope to own a copy of that Cap issue,,,

I'm trying to think of another 1945 cover showing U.S. and Soviet troops. I'm not sure there is one.

cap27.jpg

Thanks Bob. It's one of my faves...along with the other 73 or so in the run.

I never cease to be amazed when I see a 70+ yr old comic book in NM+ condition.

The Church collection is simply unreal.

Yep. Just a big conspiracy designed by the dealer Illuminati to give collectors false aspirations of perfection and thus subliminally expand their willingness to spend ever increasing amounts of money to pursue them.

There are about four people in the universe who care about this series, but I'm one of them. :D

Even so, I'm amazed at how cheap this went.

RADC074E20141111_101231_zpse35e6784-1.jpg

Edited by Sqeggs