• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2023 at 12:37 AM, MBFan said:

Even though it was first printed in All-Famous Police Cases #7 in 1952, this story looks like Iger Shop art which had been done years before. The female faces and most of the male faces are Baker, but other hands are apparent in the work, particularly in the inking.

Comic Book Plus says the story is “most likely a leftover Inspector Dayton story from ATOMIC COMICS.” That sounds right. The last issue of Atomic was in 1946, and this art is the kind of stuff Baker was turning out at the Iger Shop then, not like the work he was doing in 1952 at St. John.

Kamen was very likely involved.  The lady to the left of the hairy skull looks like his work.

On 8/20/2023 at 2:26 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Here is my copy bought at NYCC.  I was going through the boxes of a dealer off on the side.  I told him that the cover was drawn by Matt Baker.  The dealer replied “Who is Matt Baker?”  🤢

IMG_2645.thumb.jpeg.de8b73e33dd13567b39c733b81edd15a.jpeg

I thought about this book when I recently picked up this pulp. Similar, innocent vibe.

IMG_7425.jpeg

On 9/18/2023 at 3:15 AM, LadyDeath said:

the only PL cover that's indisputably Baker

NO.

It's probably easier to just list the "disputed covers": 14, 16, 17, and some of 18.  Although, I think everyone's in agreement with who did what on 18.

On 9/26/2023 at 11:45 AM, LadyDeath said:

It really stands out among the DS covers.

I was not expecting to win this. A 3.0 netted $930 just three months ago.

Here's my DS #20 in similar grade, also won on HA a few years back. (thumbsu 

Really disturbing cover content, and (I think?) the only cover to literally illustrate the 'Diary Secrets' theme of the series title.

diarysecrets20.thumb.jpg.b351366bad5d629f8f419152ea5d5961.jpg

On 9/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, Point Five said:

Really disturbing cover content, and (I think?) the only cover to literally illustrate the 'Diary Secrets' theme of the series title.

I might have been the first to point out her diary explains she is with child and the boy friend is furious. Even Sqeegs didn't notice, he was busy looking at the grade number. The photo of the bf with a seeming mocking laugh is the final touch. A masterpiece.

On 9/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, Point Five said:

Very nice. This has to be the bleakest cover Baker has ever done.