• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A HG Action 1 or a Bugatti Veyron?

364 posts in this topic

I thought the same thing about the later Countach. It was mean as all HeII, nasty and loud but it started to gain a "kit car" look to it...especially after they threw those ugly American spec bumpers on it. The early (cleaner) Countach held a nice line. Don't get me wrong, Ilvoed the Countach (who didn't) but an aesthetic beauty is not what came to mind...it was more like Mariah Carey...drama, curves, attention...just POW in your face.

Still say as far as aesthetics the 288 GTO is one of the nicest looking cars ever built. That car DOES NOT have a bad angle.

R.

I thought the same thing about the later Countach. It was mean as all HeII, nasty and loud but it started to gain a "kit car" look to it...especially after they threw those ugly American spec bumpers on it. The early (cleaner) Countach held a nice line. Don't get me wrong, Ilvoed the Countach (who didn't) but an aesthetic beauty is not what came to mind...it was more like Mariah Carey...drama, curves, attention...just POW in your face.

Still say as far as aesthetics the 288 GTO is one of the nicest looking cars ever built. That car DOES NOT have a bad angle.

R.

Roy, I think you and I are just polar opposites when it comes to aesthetics. The Ferrari models you seem to love do nothing for me, in fact they`re my least favorite Ferraris in terms of looks. Now the 250 GTO, on the other hand, is a work of beauty.

Is that the 308?

doh! No, it's the 288.

BTW - I saw an orange Diablo yesterday in traffic. Beautiful car and the epitome of Lamborghini styling IMO. They have only gotten uglier since.

288?Dont think thats a Ferrari mdel.Do you mean 208?Perhaps the 328?.You seem to be a bit confused :baiting:

1984 Ferrari 288 GTO :cloud9:

here is a pic of my 86 Ferrari 328 (3.2 L v8 versus the slight smaller and slightly less powerful "magnum" 308):

86ferrari.jpg

Nice looking car Rick.What were the others youve owned?

R.

Roy, I think you and I are just polar opposites when it comes to aesthetics. The Ferrari models you seem to love do nothing for me, in fact they`re my least favorite Ferraris in terms of looks. Now the 250 GTO, on the other hand, is a work of beauty.

Can you say DC vs. Marvel?

:baiting:

To me an aesthetic car needs balance and needs to be fluid. The 288 GTO is balanced. The Miuara is fluid and balanced. To me the later Countach had too many "visual check points" and did not *flow* like the early one did. You always stopped somewhere and thought *WOW* and then continued on visually. With the 288and the Miuara you had flow and balance. They look good from every angle. With the 250 GTO you had lots of balance but what it did not have for balance it made up for in being fluid IMO. Lovely cars all of them...I just appreciate each car differently.

Here are the 250, Miuara, late Countach and early Countach to compare.

68226.jpg.205239752dce857966c084637e72e218.jpg

68227.jpg.af00621d01c223490b3b38cdab6789fc.jpg

68228.jpg.7d399450cb48587477825d9a67bb8648.jpg

68229.jpg.3d7c6aac0fb37cde6001e540d7e2df73.jpg

To me an aesthetic car needs balance and needs to be fluid. The 288 GTO is balanced. The Miuara is fluid and balanced. To me the later Countach had too many "visual check points" and did not *flow* like the early one did. You always stopped somewhere and thought *WOW* and then continued on visually. With the 288and the Miuara you had flow and balance. They look good from every angle. With the 250 GTO you had lots of balance but what it did not have for balance it made up for in being fluid IMO. Lovely cars all of them...I just appreciate each car differently.

Not surprisingly, we appreciate different things. The Miura is my least favorite Lambo. The side angle you showed is probably its most flattering angle. Otherwise, it just doesn`t look exotic or extreme to me.

I like the late Countach much better than the early model. It just looks so extreme, like a spaceship put on wheels. Maybe that translates to kit car for some of you guys, but to me it has more head-turning quotient than any other car on earth.

Not surprisingly, we appreciate different things. The Miura is my least favorite Lambo. The side angle you showed is probably its most flattering angle. Otherwise, it just doesn`t look exotic or extreme to me.

I like the late Countach much better than the early model. It just looks so extreme, like a spaceship put on wheels. Maybe that translates to kit car for some of you guys, but to me it has more head-turning quotient than any other car on earth.

Well, now we're getting somewhere.

I am differentiating between beauty and an extreme, head turning look.

I think the Countach snaps heads because it looks like it's from another planet (in a good way). I agree 100%. Those side windows freak me out. The scoops and wings look menacing.

On the other hand an aesthetically beautiful car (to me) cannot have any one point stand out. It needs to be a complete form.

To me the Countach is like Anna Nicole Smith. She turns heads.

The GTO is like Madeline Stowe. No one part makes you go *WOW* but as a whole? WOW!

Does that make sense?

R.

Is that the 308?

doh! No, it's the 288.

BTW - I saw an orange Diablo yesterday in traffic. Beautiful car and the epitome of Lamborghini styling IMO. They have only gotten uglier since.

288?Dont think thats a Ferrari mdel.Do you mean 208?Perhaps the 328?.You seem to be a bit confused :baiting:

1984 Ferrari 288 GTO :cloud9:

here is a pic of my 86 Ferrari 328 (3.2 L v8 versus the slight smaller and slightly less powerful "magnum" 308):

86ferrari.jpg

Nice looking car Rick.What were the others youve owned?

1979 Ferrari 308 GTB

1988 Ferrari Testarossa

(thumbs u

I'm not a car guy, but wouldn't the car lose most of its value almost immediately?

The Action 1 would keep appreciating forever. :)

And I am sure that the thrill of having such a car would wear off. The thrill of an Action 1, though? Endless.

Yeah, I would expect it to lose more and more value as faster and more expensive cars come out. I am surprised by the number of people picking a car.

I actually agree with Tim. 1950s Ferrari 250s, like the Pininfarina Cabriolets, are among my absolute favorite cars. They are pure beauty.

800px-Ferrari-250-GT-Berlinetta-1.jpg

800px-SC06_1958_Ferrari_250_GT_California_Spyder.jpg

800px-Hockenheimring_Michael_Schumacher.jpg

absolutely they are wonderful!

but, maybe like Roy, I was starting to drive in the early to mid 80's... I was influenced by the cars of that time...and thus, have more of a connection/desire for, say a 1984 288, than a 60's spyder...simply a product of my environment, at the time

And then there are 1950s Aston Martins. :cloud9:

87405967_1.jpg

But I fear I have strayed from Exotic cars into Classic cars. ;)

absolutely they are wonderful!

but, maybe like Roy, I was starting to drive in the early to mid 80's... I was influenced by the cars of that time...and thus, have more of a connection/desire for, say a 1984 288, than a 60's spyder...simply a product of my environment, at the time

Understood. I like the 328, myself (as featured in Exotic Cars 4 in 1986).

Only car I can think of that I would love to own strictly for collecting is a 1969 Chevy Camaro ZL-1 bone stock. There are 7 or less factory originals left, less then 20 in a restored condition minus original drivetrain. This car was a stright-up drag car from the factory. Car had a 427 all aluminum big block, 4:56 rear gears, the only option it had was heat, and it ran in the elevens from the dealer.

Think of what some tractions bars, and real slicks (not ancient rubber) could do for this. Mid 10's or better.

But yes this car is my number 1 dream car..

Only car I can think of that I would love to own strictly for collecting is a 1969 Chevy Camaro ZL-1 bone stock. There are 7 or less factory originals left, less then 20 in a restored condition minus original drivetrain. This car was a stright-up drag car from the factory. Car had a 427 all aluminum big block, 4:56 rear gears, the only option it had was heat, and it ran in the elevens from the dealer.

Think of what some tractions bars, and real slicks (not ancient rubber) could do for this. Mid 10's or better.

But yes this car is my number 1 dream car..

one was just auctioned a few months ago...I think it was one of reggie jacksons (shrug)

A factory ZL-1 ??

Im surprised those cars are extremely rare and the most valuable of the production Camaros.

yep...I want to say it went for 1.2 million, but I was channel surfing, and they were interviewing reggie after the sale

A factory ZL-1 ??

Im surprised those cars are extremely rare and the most valuable of the production Camaros.

yep...I want to say it went for 1.2 million, but I was channel surfing, and they were interviewing reggie after the sale

on one of those ESPN recap night shows