• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

If I do get my copy for the $3.99 or so, I'll just treat it like the ASBR 10 recalled edition. Was able to snag 13 copies here in town before they realized it was recalled. Put them up that nite on ebay. Wish there was one of those every week! Would help pay for my reading material.

Why not charge more for the special cover? If a shop has to order X number of books to get the variant then why not charge a premium? No one is making us buy the book and we all know that it will drop in a few months so just sit back and wait.

I say it's just supply and demand, if someone wants to pay $100 for the book that's their decision and if I have a copy I will gladly sell it for $100 to that guy. Most likely the people looking for this book will not be regular customers for the regulars will see this for what it is a short term prices spike. How many people sold copies of ASM 300 for incredible amounts when Spider-man 3 came out? How many will sell GI Joe books, Transformers and Wolverine books when their movies come out? If someone has the chance to make $30, $40, or $100 on this book I say go for it.

I will tell you exactly why. That guy that spends $100.00 on the book is buying it as an investment, and when the book is $8 in 3 months and no one wants it even at that price and no one will buy it from him, then that is a potential collector lost forever. That guy might be someone not in the hobby and he might be someone who has not been around long enough to see this type of thing happen over and over again. But either way, he is getting screwed over by. Oh sure he doesn't have to buy it, but he doesn't know better and you do. You are choosing to make a quick buck on the item, so don't blame it on the customer.

Where are the Madoff comparisons when they are really valid?

That's right he doesn't have to buy it. This happens with all sorts of items not just comics. The Xbox 360 was going for almost $800.00 on eBay when it came out.

Not analagous. That was a timing issue, not a value issue. No one buying the Xboxes had any illusions that they were buying an investment.

The Wii is still hard to find in some areas. When the VW Beetle was reintroduced it was selling at a price higher than what VW had it listed at. Same with the Miata.

Again, not bought for investment purposes.

Cabbage patch kids, Tickle me Elmo. The list goes on and on. Besides it's going to be a hard book to find, at least in my area. The owner of the LCS told me that you had to order more Spider-man copies for this issue than what you ordered 4 months ago. Well Spider-man sales are down and he cut his order so no Obama copies, but if he did have one it would be a $40.00 book. He also said no copies will be held unless you already have a subscription to Spider-man. Then the books will be put on the wall and sold for cover price. How many people will want the non-Obama cover is anyone's guess but I bet your average Joe will not want them.

Also some people don't care that it will not go up, or will not believe you. For example there was the Stephen Colbert Spider-man comic and my LCS had 3 copies on the table each with a $20.00 price tag. A guy comes in looks at the owner and mentions that he saw a comic on the Colbert Report and wanted to know if it was real or fake. Needless to say the guy was not a regular, just someone who wanted to know if the book existed. It was pointed out and he picked up all 3 copies. The owner said something about taking all 3 and the guy said it was an investment. It was pointed out that it may never go over $20.00 and would likely drop. He didn't care he liked Colbert and wanted the comics. I'm sure he didn't even know that it was a cover swipe from AF15. That is the type of customer that will buy this book.

And a PERFECT opportunity to introduce a new reader to the world of comics is wasted....

In the end it's supply and demand some places will have limited amounts and with the media surrounding the book it will create a lot of demand so the price goes up. No one is being taken advantage of, it's just a comic book and is not vital for survival. If I own a store I have 2 copies of this issue and I'm taking 10 calls a day about it then I am going to price it higher than cover price. Some will see it as gouging; I see it as a normal part of the capitalist system.

It's not supply and demand. It's controlled supply and artificial demand (aka hype.) It's CERTAINLY not capitalism. Real capitalism has little to do with artificial demand and hype. The supply, especially at initial distribution, is REGULATED and CONTROLLED by those who have them. True capitalism lets the market decide the value of an item, not the producers/distributors of that item.

And something doesn't need to be vital for survival for one to be taken advantage of. LCS owners certainly aren't falling all over themselves to tell people that they're a bad investment as they take their money.

Again....short term profits at the expense of long term growth and stability.

Why not charge more for the special cover? If a shop has to order X number of books to get the variant then why not charge a premium? No one is making us buy the book and we all know that it will drop in a few months so just sit back and wait.

I say it's just supply and demand, if someone wants to pay $100 for the book that's their decision and if I have a copy I will gladly sell it for $100 to that guy. Most likely the people looking for this book will not be regular customers for the regulars will see this for what it is a short term prices spike. How many people sold copies of ASM 300 for incredible amounts when Spider-man 3 came out? How many will sell GI Joe books, Transformers and Wolverine books when their movies come out? If someone has the chance to make $30, $40, or $100 on this book I say go for it.

I will tell you exactly why. That guy that spends $100.00 on the book is buying it as an investment, and when the book is $8 in 3 months and no one wants it even at that price and no one will buy it from him, then that is a potential collector lost forever. That guy might be someone not in the hobby and he might be someone who has not been around long enough to see this type of thing happen over and over again. But either way, he is getting screwed over by. Oh sure he doesn't have to buy it, but he doesn't know better and you do. You are choosing to make a quick buck on the item, so don't blame it on the customer.

If your going to take that stance then all dealers should tell all collectors that 99 percent of the comics you buy now will be worthless! that modern generic 2.99 comic I buy at the store becomes worthless moneywise as soon as I leave the store. name me one book other than Ultimate Spider-man or the now sinking Captain America in the last ten years that made any good profit? You buy a brand new book at cover for $2.99 and your lucky if the dealer will buy it back from you at 10 cents.The Obama book is good as it`s causing some excitement in an otherwise unexciting times in comics. It tells you how great comics are right now when a cameo of a President is the number 1 hottest comic book.

If your going to take that stance then all dealers should tell all collectors that 99 percent of the comics you buy now will be worthless! that modern generic 2.99 comic I buy at the store becomes worthless moneywise as soon as I leave the store. name me one book other than Ultimate Spider-man or the now sinking Captain America in the last ten years that made any good profit? You buy a brand new book at cover for $2.99 and your lucky if the dealer will buy it back from you at 10 cents.The Obama book is good as it`s causing some excitement in an otherwise unexciting times in comics. It tells you how great comics are right now when a cameo of a President is the number 1 hottest comic book.

Theres a big difference between buying a $2.99 book that goes down in value and a $100 book that goes down.

Hopefully people will realize that this is exactly like Captain America #25 and that the price they are paying now, you can divide by 3 and subtract 7 and that will be the price in about 2 months or sooner.

Marvel always prints lots more of this trash. Please nobody waste your money like this. You can almost guarantee that in 3 months, Marvel will liquidate what is left of this book and you will be able to buy it on ebay for $5.

Dale, I just called the LCS that I mainly get my trade paperbacks from, and they'll hold 1 copy for me at regular cost. Should I not even bother? Actually they usually sell the Variants for $7.99....but I have credit there anyways...

I am not telling anyone what to buy, or not to buy this comic. But if it did end up being a truly rare "variant" cover, it would be the first time in many years that the book was actually rare. I remember when the Civil War #1 Turner Sketch cover was selling for 75.00 too. Last convention, I saw them on the table IN A STACK for $10. If you will be patient, you will get it cheaper.

Theres a big difference between buying a $2.99 book that goes down in value and a $100 book that goes down.

And who in the world thinks they're buying a comic as an investment for $2.99 doh!

Some of us do buy them to read!

And who in the world thinks they're buying a comic as an investment for $2.99 doh!

REALLY? YOU CAN READ THEM TOO??? :o

:kidaround:

I said worthless moneywise(there are lots of great modern comics to read) ,the person buying the Obama book is most likely buying it moneywise.

This goes to show that history always repeat itself and greed is always a person_without_enough_empathy. Is it really necessary for Marvel to drag all the speculators back into the hobby again? Sure this will get some press like Cap 25 did, but which group of audience is this really targeting? Yes the speculators...the group of folks that have no business coming into the hobby in the first place...the ones that are known to ruin every market they get into....the ones responsible for the great market crash of the late 90's. Seriously this is deja vu all over again with all them variant covers, dealer incentives, and books selling way above cover price even before they get released. The market has totally reverted back to the early 90's and I don't see a good future for it. I'm glad to see that I've made the right choice to stop buying any new comic releases and I'll definitely gonna be sitting this one out.

This goes to show that history always repeat itself and greed is always a person_without_enough_empathy. Is it really necessary for Marvel to drag all the speculators back into the hobby again? Sure this will get some press like Cap 25 did, but which group of audience is this really targeting? Yes the speculators...the group of folks that have no business coming into the hobby in the first place...the ones that are known to ruin every market they get into....the ones responsible for the great market crash of the late 90's. Seriously this is deja vu all over again with all them variant covers, dealer incentives, and books selling way above cover price even before they get released. The market has totally reverted back to the early 90's and I don't see a good future for it. I'm glad to see that I've made the right choice to stop buying any new comic releases and I'll definitely gonna be sitting this one out.

Now I don't necessarily agree with this. Yes Marvel saw a marketing opportunity and knew that they could probably sell lots of copies of this book. But the idea behind this is to get people who have never read a comic, or used to read comics and have stopped for whatever reason, to pick up a copy of Amazing Spider-man, historically their most important & iconic character, with hopes that they might enjoy the book and either keep buying the book or buy something else.

this reminds me of the music industry back in the late80's early 90's. one single release would have numerous versions packaged differently. (coloured vinyl, picture discs etc). eventually they stopped it by regulating themselves but i cant see the comics industry doing that.

unfortunately printed comics are slowly going to be replaced by online comics and movies. they will do everything they can to squeeze us and bring new buyers to the market even if for just one issue. big business doesnt care about the loyal fan base - they will always be there - but they do like to make a frenzy and get on the news to sell more issues.

neil

Now I don't necessarily agree with this. Yes Marvel saw a marketing opportunity and knew that they could probably sell lots of copies of this book. But the idea behind this is to get people who have never read a comic, or used to read comics and have stopped for whatever reason, to pick up a copy of Amazing Spider-man

Come on, if that was actually their intent, there would be no reason for a limited, variant edition. Just print a million of these things and set them loose.

Instead, Marvel artificially limited supply on that Obama cover, hyped it up and drove speculation rampant, and they'd have to be total and complete maroons to not comprehend what would happen.

Now I don't necessarily agree with this. Yes Marvel saw a marketing opportunity and knew that they could probably sell lots of copies of this book. But the idea behind this is to get people who have never read a comic, or used to read comics and have stopped for whatever reason, to pick up a copy of Amazing Spider-man, historically their most important & iconic character, with hopes that they might enjoy the book and either keep buying the book or buy something else.

That may very well be their intent, but it can only work if copies are readily available at cover price. If these people have to pay a premium to get the book, it is unlikely that they will see it as reading material. It will be viewed as an 'investment'. Ultimately (IMO)........a bad investment.

"You buy a brand new book at cover for $2.99 and your lucky if the dealer will buy it back from you at 10 cents.

-----

And who in the world thinks they're buying a comic as an investment for $2.99

Some of us do buy them to read!"

my thoughts exactly. putting aside variant covers, believe it or not, that $2.99 is supposed to represent your entertainment vaue for that product. think about it, how much money could you get back for the various magazines you have subscriptions to? Sure, you can probably do better than 10 cents for brand new paperbacks and such though. at least you might get better trade credit at a used bookstore.

"Is it really necessary for Marvel to drag all the speculators back into the hobby again? Sure this will get some press like Cap 25 did, but which group of audience is this really targeting? Yes the speculators...the group of folks that have no business coming into the hobby in the first place...the ones that are known to ruin every market they get into...."

While there are no doubt speculators diving in, I think the people buying it to own it are probably mainly Obama fans who think it's cool to have the comic. Speculators will make their money off them. I don't know about $60.... but I'm sure a lot of people in my city would probably go for $20 as a keepsake to show their kids in 20 years or whatever. criminey, the guy isn't even president yet and they're already selling coins with his face on them! there's a big memorabilia market for this guy and I think a lot of the holders of that stuff are going to be sincere devotees not looking to flip it on ebay next year.