• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,379 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2023 at 9:10 AM, pubmonkey said:

As soon as he said "I've been offered $300,000 to $350,000, somewhere in that range, I don't remember" I knew he was lying...

"Around 1986"...a real expert collector there...

The other guy: "From the outside you can't really tell, but on the inside it has so many details and artwork..." really? REALLY?? :facepalm:

Here's the thing... if he has the comic link copy, the one someone paid $12,000 for in august 2020?  It's more than likely the printers proof for the 3rd print.  How do I know? Simple, here's the picture from the Comiclink auction.  The first and second prints have a small part of the letter a for "and" on the second page.  The third print doesn't.  Sadly, Heritage only imaged the first page, so I have no way of knowing if that is the same printing.  I am thinking it is not though, since it does not have the cover/staples in it that he has/the comic link one had (see below).  O and for anyone wondering why these are all coverless?  When Mirage was running distribution on there own (#1-#3 including reprints) the covers were printed at a different printer, per Pete's notes the interiors were printed, collated and folded, then delivered to the cover printer (the Journal-Tribune did not have a facility that could print color) who would trim and staple them all together.  So any interior printer proof back in the that initial run would be coverless, because they didn't print it.

image.thumb.png.2769066df370ebb2b36d5c7b3267d9ad.png

image.thumb.png.0a448e3b27910a1e733d63c479a9b9a3.png

On 4/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Here's the thing... if he has the comic link copy, the one someone paid $12,000 for in august 2020?  It's more than likely the printers proof for the 3rd print.  How do I know? Simple, here's the picture from the Comiclink auction.  The first and second prints have a small part of the letter a for "and" on the second page.  The third print doesn't.  Sadly, Heritage only imaged the first page, so I have no way of knowing if that is the same printing.  I am thinking it is not though, since it does not have the cover/staples in it that he has/the comic link one had (see below).  O and for anyone wondering why these are all coverless?  When Mirage was running distribution on there own (#1-#3 including reprints) the covers were printed at a different printer, per Pete's notes the interiors were printed, collated and folded, then delivered to the cover printer (the Journal-Tribune did not have a facility that could print color) who would trim and staple them all together.  So any interior printer proof back in the that initial run would be coverless, because they didn't print it.

image.thumb.png.2769066df370ebb2b36d5c7b3267d9ad.png

image.thumb.png.0a448e3b27910a1e733d63c479a9b9a3.png

Totally spot-on @jaybuck43 !  Just based on the lack of gap between Pages 2 & 3, I'd almost guarantee this is a proof of the 3rd printing (which would put it at 1985, not "nineteen eighty-uh six I think-somewhere like that" - LOL).

The real tell would be on Page 29 - but I have yet to see Page 29 from this proof copy. 

TMNT-01-Page-29_1st-2nd-3rd-comparison_s

On 4/10/2023 at 12:18 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Totally spot-on @jaybuck43 !  Just based on the lack of gap between Pages 2 & 3, I'd almost guarantee this is a proof of the 3rd printing (which would put it at 1985, not "nineteen eighty-uh six I think-somewhere like that" - LOL).

The real tell would be on Page 29 - but I have yet to see Page 29 from this proof copy. 

TMNT-01-Page-29_1st-2nd-3rd-comparison_s

Rich I would assume that the fourth printing would have had separate negatives and their own printer proof since it was reduced from magazine size to comic size. That came out September 85 (same time as me lol) which in theory this could also be, putting it closer to his time. But again, it’s definitely not the first edition printer proof (which is most likely the ones heritage sold back in 2012 for around $4k with a copy of the book). Man if a third print printers proof is worth $300-350,000, what’s the original art to Raph one I own worth at this point? $10 million? $20?

On 4/10/2023 at 11:05 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Rich I would assume that the fourth printing would have had separate negatives and their own printer proof since it was reduced from magazine size to comic size. That came out September 85 (same time as me lol) which in theory this could also be, putting it closer to his time. But again, it’s definitely not the first edition printer proof (which is most likely the ones heritage sold back in 2012 for around $4k with a copy of the book). Man if a third print printers proof is worth $300-350,000, what’s the original art to Raph one I own worth at this point? $10 million? $20?

It's hard to know for sure but I think every printing would typically get its own set of negatives. The 1st & 2nd printings of #1 only used the same negatives because 1) they were printed just a month apart (May & June 1984 respectively) and 2) The Journal Tribune retained the negatives in their flats (saving the need to re-strip them). The Journal Tribune only printed two printings of TMNT - TMNT #1 1st & 2nd printings. For the 3rd printing of #1, E&L used The Lakeville Journal in Lakeville, CT.  Then, for the 4th printing, that would likely have been done at Southern Duchess News since the timing is similar to TMNT #4 (June, 1985) and Raphael #1 (April, 1985). 

It's hard to tell from the pictures of this printer's proof whether it's oversized or modern comic sized. It looks to be oversized but I don't recall ever seeing any sizing information.

On 4/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, rich_TMNT said:

It's hard to know for sure but I think every printing would typically get its own set of negatives. The 1st & 2nd printings of #1 only used the same negatives because 1) they were printed just a month apart (May & June 1984 respectively) and 2) The Journal Tribune retained the negatives in their flats (saving the need to re-strip them). The Journal Tribune only printed two printings of TMNT - TMNT #1 1st & 2nd printings. For the 3rd printing of #1, E&L used The Lakeville Journal in Lakeville, CT.  Then, for the 4th printing, that would likely have been done at Southern Duchess News since the timing is similar to TMNT #4 (June, 1985) and Raphael #1 (April, 1985). 

It's hard to tell from the pictures of this printer's proof whether it's oversized or modern comic sized. It looks to be oversized but I don't recall ever seeing any sizing information.

Thanks @rich_TMNT that's super helpful info. I feel prouder of my second print now!

On 4/10/2023 at 2:38 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Right, I forgot they moved over to Southern Duchess around the summer of 85, so the fourth print would definitely have been run off at a different printer.  Thanks Rich.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:13 PM, sorrenmj said:

Does anybody suspect the new movie might drive the prices of comics up again?

Maybe?  I think we're going to see all asset prices coming down a bit.  Do think it will help with popularity in general, which of course helps values.

On 5/4/2023 at 7:19 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Maybe?  I think we're going to see all asset prices coming down a bit.  Do think it will help with popularity in general, which of course helps values.

Exactly, if for nothing else it is great that the franchise is continuing and staying popular!