• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I think it's fairly understood that most of the time free shipping means free shipping within your own country. International shipping is usually much more costly and time consuming (ie, customs forms, post office, etc.). For domestic mail you can just slap a stamp on it and give it to the post man or drop it in the mailbox.

I think it's fairly understood that most of the time free shipping means free shipping within your own country. International shipping is usually much more costly and time consuming (ie, customs forms, post office, etc.). For domestic mail you can just slap a stamp on it and give it to the post man or drop it in the mailbox.

I understand your point but even the part of your response stating "most of the time" indicated that their is some level of confusion.

Here is a hypothetical. Many people on the boards do not have detail in the location descriptor below the avatar.

Lets say I remove it from my avatar area. I have a lot of books that I sell at the next VCC indicating free shipping. You want these books and jump in early with the takeit.gif icon.

A few day later after the VCC i send you a paypal invoice including an extra $50 airmail shipping for a few dozen books. How do you feel about this?

Again this is hypothetical and many of you have the blessing of never having to deal with this issue. I am trying to raise some awareness as it may help to prevent a few peoblems going forward.

Russ... flowerred.gif

Each time I've bought something that had "free shipping" as enticement the seller has deducted the price of local shipping from the price of international shipping...so basically I got the same deal confused-smiley-013.gif

Can't really expect somebody to pay up to 4X the shipping costs because you and I are geographically challenged

Each time I've bought something that had "free shipping" as enticement the seller has deducted the price of local shipping from the price of international shipping...so basically I got the same deal confused-smiley-013.gif

Can't really expect somebody to pay up to 4X the shipping costs because you and I are geographically challenged

Hey Chromium.

I don't think that we are owed anything in the way of free shipping but the confusion remains that some great boardies do offer it from time to time. Other state it but don't really mean it.

An example would be if I had an e-bay auction and stated $10 shipping. Would I be entitled to ask for 4 times that if someone outside my local area purchased the book. I think that I should be accountable for stating the facts.

I have been in a fortunate position where shipping has been included or the shipping cost is split 50/50.

The problem is that sometimes you need to jump on a sale and if it says free shipping should you then have to ask if it includes you.

Its a bit like the pressing debate. Should you need to ask or should you be told up front.

I dont think that a description on shipping is such a big ask confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think that we are owed anything in the way of free shipping but the confusion remains that some great boardies do offer it from time to time. Other state it but don't really mean it.

An example would be if I had an e-bay auction and stated $10 shipping. Would I be entitled to ask for 4 times that if someone outside my local area purchased the book. I think that I should be accountable for stating the facts.

I have been in a fortunate position where shipping has been included or the shipping cost is split 50/50.

The problem is that sometimes you need to jump on a sale and if it says free shipping should you then have to ask if it includes you.

Its a bit like the pressing debate. Should you need to ask or should you be told up front.

I dont think that a description on shipping is such a big ask confused-smiley-013.gif

How many non-North American buyers are on the boards ? 15 - 20 tops ?

Out of the 100s of active board members I believe it's such a small group that for most sellers we aren't even a blip on the radar...so I don't think sellers should specify that "free shipping" means "free shipping in North America" as it's a given...

Some do, but I believe it's only logical that whenever you see "free shipping" it doesn't mean free shipping to anywhere in the world confused-smiley-013.gif

How many non-North American buyers are on the boards ? 15 - 20 tops ?

Out of the 100s of active board members I believe it's such a small group that for most sellers we aren't even a blip on the radar...so I don't think sellers should specify that "free shipping" means "free shipping in North America" as it's a given...

Some do, but I believe it's only logical that whenever you see "free shipping" it doesn't mean free shipping to anywhere in the world confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, "free shipping" usually means free shipping in the U.S. -- at least if it involves more than a few comics -- and there are many Canadians here. I understand this perfectly well and have no problem with paying a fair shipping price, but still find it kind of annoying to see those two little words that don't really mean what they say.

Just saw the thread. I'll send TE a PM to spare any drama queen explatation and resolve it. Everything he said is correct, I just couldn't figure out if I had actually sent his package surface or air. I think air may have been abnormally expensive and while at the post office I decided to ship it surface rather than go through the back and forth of emails. I think total value was under $100 for 20+ books(?)

Anyway, good use of the Probation thread. How many strikes do I get before I sit in the corner?

thumbsup2.gif

The thread works! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have also bought from Ed once and had no problems.

I've bought from ft88 too without any problems, but have to say that I don't really feel someone paying extra for Air and then getting surface is really fair to the buyer because the seller miscalculated the shipping. If you're on this forum you've got internet access and you can simply go to USPS.com to calculate actual shipping costs, even international, Can't you? If it's not knowing the wieght, just get a cheap scale if your selling comics. It makes things so much easier, especially shipping from your home (with free Priority mail boxes sent to your house from the USPS) and printing labels on your computer printer paid with Paypal and you get free delivery confirmation on top.

Hey Chromium.

Well as far as your eBay statement, the shipping price would be 'domestic' to the country the ebay site is from. If I list flat $10 shipping, eBay automatically shows it as domestic $10 flat rate, but outside of the US it is understood that you will need to check with the seller. Sending something to Australia vs within the US is a huge margin of difference. As a collector, when I buy and re-sale the 'profit' is almost non-existant for me so I definately won't shell out extra money unless I specifically stated international orders are free also. I thought this was always a given.

How hard is it to write "free local shipping" or "free worldwide shipping" in our adverts.

This is after all a worldwide chat forum that does cross coastal boundaries from time to time.

Thoughts confused-smiley-013.gif

Russ... popcorn.gif

Or better yet, "I don't ship overseas." thumbsup2.gif

I'm willing to work with overseas buyers, but I'm not willing to bend over backwards any more then is already necessary to sell to them. If I say “free shipping” that means in the US, for overseas I’ll offer a reduced rate.

How hard is it to write "free local shipping" or "free worldwide shipping" in our adverts.

This is after all a worldwide chat forum that does cross coastal boundaries from time to time.

Thoughts confused-smiley-013.gif

Russ... popcorn.gif

Or better yet, "I don't ship overseas." thumbsup2.gif

I'm willing to work with overseas buyers, but I'm not willing to bend over backwards any more then is already necessary to sell to them. If I say “free shipping” that means in the US, for overseas I’ll offer a reduced rate.

thumbsup2.gif

That's fair and reasonable.

If there is a 'free shipping' offer on the boards, I usually assume that it won't include me, but that there may be a 50/50 split, or somesuch offer, on the table. Never been disappointed with any of the boarders and how they've wanted to play it. grin.gif

I've been bitten pretty hard with overseas shipping a few times....but I still sell over there when warranted....we want all of you to get some culture....

I've been bitten pretty hard with overseas shipping a few times....but I still sell over there when warranted....we want all of you to get some culture....

Inuit culture cloud9.gif

I think Russ is out on his own here with the overseas shipping

I always assume 'free shipping' is domestic only, and never automatically assume sellers will ship overseas, hence my takeit.gif 's are usually with a shipping conditional condition attached.

I've been pleased far more often than I've been disappointed with shipments from board members as far as shipping costs go.

Edited by evilsly

The way I look at it when shipping overseas is like this, if the buyer is purchasing more then $200 worth of books, I would charge him the going rate as shipping to the US or Canada as token of thanks, obviously if he purchases more then $200, I will eat the shipping confused-smiley-013.gif

The way I look at it when shipping overseas is like this, if the buyer is purchasing more then $200 worth of books, I would charge him the going rate as shipping to the US or Canada as token of thanks, obviously if he purchases more then $200, I will eat the shipping confused-smiley-013.gif

But you rock Nik!

But you rock Nik!

What about me confused-smiley-013.gif