• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,897 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

The header is too smooth to not have been touched up, so purple label of death for the header. The difficulty in finding them period justifies the smidge, methinks. Now, if you want hardcore smidge, check this one out ...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-comics-graphic-novels/barrie/rare-1950s-dell-comics-spinner-rack-with-50-dell-comic-books/1496632517

Rare rack. I have a wooden Dell floor rack that I picked ip at a flea market 10 years ago for $200. Was stoked to find it. 

On 4/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, followtheleader said:

Sealed VHS can do well with the right crowds. 

Horror sealed VHS is another very strong seller.   I picked up a set of Nightmare on Elm St recently.

Patrick

Yeah, on fire in my hood now. I don’t get it, but I’m old…

On 4/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, on fire in my hood now. I don’t get it, but I’m old…

In Colorado, there are now stores focused on "Dead Media". 

VHS, DVDs, older video games, records, etc.  

Those are being coupled with other collectible types like toys.  

Cassette tapes are another huge seller now.  This one surprised me, but I guess it's no different than VHS.

Laser Discs have a following.

The one that doesn't seem to have as much interest here are 8 Tracs.  

Patrick

On 4/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, followtheleader said:

Cassette tapes are another huge seller now.  This one surprised me, but I guess it's no different than VHS.

Patrick

This is pure speculation, but as a 44-year-old "Gen X'er," this is the media we grew up with, and this is prime time where people my age want to recapture memories - we were the among the generation that bridged the gap between analog and digital media. It makes sense that VHS, LaserDisc, NES games, cassettes, etc. would be the preferred media in that case, as opposed to 8Trac and things like that.

On 4/26/2022 at 3:20 PM, followtheleader said:

Patrick

VHS are the new records

I picked this up at a tag sale at an apartment complex sometime in the early 70s - I could not yet drive and rode over with a neighbor.  The apartments are still there and I drive by them a few times a month.  If I found this today I would be doing a major happy dance, despite the seller's "pen writing on cover." 

AV - 90.jpg

On 4/26/2022 at 8:03 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

This is pure speculation, but as a 44-year-old "Gen X'er," this is the media we grew up with, and this is prime time where people my age want to recapture memories - we were the among the generation that bridged the gap between analog and digital media. It makes sense that VHS, LaserDisc, NES games, cassettes, etc. would be the preferred media in that case, as opposed to 8Trac and things like that.

Agreed.  The part that surprises me is how many teens/20-somethings are buying cassette tapes.

Not sure what drives that.  Guardians of the Galaxy?  

Patrick

On 4/27/2022 at 9:52 PM, followtheleader said:

Agreed.  The part that surprises me is how many teens/20-somethings are buying cassette tapes.

Not sure what drives that.  Guardians of the Galaxy?  

Patrick

Nah.  It was punk and garage bands in the early 2010s.  Vinyl was happening but it was still expensive to get records pressed.  Tape labels started popping up and places like Burger Records were champions of the cassette.  

So you had the perfect combo of old heads and kids being stoked about a subculture of a subculture.  Eventually, that bubbles into other places and add a dash of nostalgia and voilà: A fun new market.  

On 4/27/2022 at 9:56 PM, Beastfeast said:

Nah.  It was punk and garage bands in the early 2010s.  Vinyl was happening but it was still expensive to get records pressed.  Tape labels started popping up and places like Burger Records were champions of the cassette.  

So you had the perfect combo of old heads and kids being stoked about a subculture of a subculture.  Eventually, that bubbles into other places and add a dash of nostalgia and voilà: A fun new market.  

It's true, there's still a vibrant subculture of indie bands that are recording music, and while streaming is the easiest and most logical way to distribute music, there's also a desire to have a physical item that you can actually place in someone's hands, and have on the merch table. Vinyl pressing is not only ungodly expensive right now, the wait times are also preposterous. There are a very small number of pressing plants, and larger labels are pushing the little guys out and further down the schedule. Your punk band is going to have to wait to press that 7" because we have to release a 180 gram box set retrospective of some classic rock dinosaur. Them's the breaks. So, a cassette is a nice compromise, a way to say "You're probably going to listen to us online, but here's a physical knickknack to remind you of our music." 

And that can lead to an interest in cassettes, and media in general. Vinyl came back because although streaming and downloading has never been easier and cheaper, many music lovers consider the collection of physical media an intrinsic part of the music loving experience. (Plus, there's the fact that vinyl sounds better than a crummy compressed MP3.)

I am a home media collector, though I sold all of my VHS a while back. While these days most of my money goes to 4K Ultra HD releases, I still seek out laserdiscs for my collection. I don't often watch them, as they've been replaced by hi-def and even ultra hd transfers. But I still love the packaging, and the shiny giant discs. (And like cassettes, and VHS tapes, there are still a handful of titles that never got another release.)

So many of us grew up in the era of the "video store", where you'd go to rent VHS tapes, and there is so much heavy nostalgia tied into that experience. So that's one side of it. The other side is supply: not many video tapes were left sealed, unless we're talking about dead dealer stock. It's the same thing with what we're seeing in video games. Sealed copies are going for a fortune, because they were created to be disposable entertainment. Most people weren't buying a tape they never planned to watch, or a game they never planned to play. So to find that stuff in nice shape, much less unused, is a real rarity. And where there's a mixture of nostalgia and rarity, the markets can blossom.

Cassette tapes, VHS tapes, laser discs, video games, comic books: all things that have no true intrinsic value, but all of which have provided so much joy to so many throughout their lives. Once the nostalgia hits, and it meets the collecting bug, it's off to the races.

Laser Discs, whilst already going up - are still found at sub $50 prices on ebay for some great titles.

With the ease now of finding replacement lasers (which is what sunk them in the first place), obsolete players are now easily fixed.

The vision and sound is second to none - and once the 'public' who have never played one, discover this - I think a huge boom in Laserdiscs will happen.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175250217340?hash=item28cdba197c:g:AfoAAOSweHpiWV5q

Aliens for $25 - yes please!

Having said all that,I only have one, so I probably should buy some!

Edited by Beige

Are VHS really that collectible, or just very very niche/rare ones?  I've seen lots of people trying to get a buck a piece for bulk VHS sales?   I mean the technology is garbage, aren't vinyl records supposed to have premium sound quality?

On 4/29/2022 at 7:12 AM, spreads said:

Are VHS really that collectible, or just very very niche/rare ones?  I've seen lots of people trying to get a buck a piece for bulk VHS sales?   I mean the technology is garbage, aren't vinyl records supposed to have premium sound quality?

It's like comics, cards, or any other collectible.  Vast majority are worthless.  

The desirable are more like sealed VHS, horror genre, things that may not have been reprinted in other media (like Faces of Death), etc.   

Patrick