• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,897 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 6:12 AM, spreads said:

Are VHS really that collectible, or just very very niche/rare ones?  I've seen lots of people trying to get a buck a piece for bulk VHS sales?   I mean the technology is garbage, aren't vinyl records supposed to have premium sound quality?

I doubt a lot of these people actually watch VHS tapes. They want them sealed as a nostalgia item.

And yes, clean vinyl records have much superior sound to digital media.

I also play my guitar through a vintage tube amp for the same reason. 

On 4/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

I have experienced that a lot locally lately. The younger hipster crowd is real into “dead media”. I have even see 8 tracks being bought at flea markets.

The same people who used to snicker at us “oldsters” just a few years ago.

Younger folks have no idea what a game changer 8 tracks were. My first car only had an AM radio. Then AM/FM radios came out. There were only two stations broadcasting “underground” rock music.

I had a Dodge van in high school. 8 tracks came out and I bolted one under the drivers seat and cross wired in 6 speakers. All of a sudden I could blast Led Zeppelin 2 any time I wanted. Man, good times…

2MQM.gif

On 4/29/2022 at 6:12 AM, spreads said:

Are VHS really that collectible, or just very very niche/rare ones?  I've seen lots of people trying to get a buck a piece for bulk VHS sales?   I mean the technology is garbage, aren't vinyl records supposed to have premium sound quality?

I’m going analog next year 

When I moved back to the States in 2004, I trashed my cassette and VHS/Beta (yes Beta) tape collection and sold my Laserdics and vinyl collection for a pittance. Now my wife can never complain in me keeping everything in the closet now and not throwing away :nyah:

On 4/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, rexinnih said:

When I moved back to the States in 2004, I trashed my cassette and VHS/Beta (yes Beta) tape collection and sold my Laserdics and vinyl collection for a pittance. Now my wife can never complain in me keeping everything in the closet now and not throwing away :nyah:

That's really why things are valuable. 

New media causes people to destroy/discard the "dead" media.  We had a few 8-Tracs, which were pitched when cassettes came out, which were pitched when CDs came out.  

Kind of hilarious how many times the same content was purchased/destroyed/purchased/repeat.   Movies were not any better:  VHS/Beta > DVD > HD/Blue Ray, etc. 

Patrick

On 4/29/2022 at 10:25 PM, followtheleader said:

That's really why things are valuable. 

New media causes people to destroy/discard the "dead" media.  We had a few 8-Tracs, which were pitched when cassettes came out, which were pitched when CDs came out.  

Kind of hilarious how many times the same content was purchased/destroyed/purchased/repeat.   Movies were not any better:  VHS/Beta > DVD > HD/Blue Ray, etc. 

Patrick

When we got to CDs I told a work friend I was just going to wait for whatever was next (at which he scoffed because there was no way to improve on CDs) so I saved a fortune and now get all the music I want for $10/month.  It'll take 50 years to cost what just buying all the CDs I wanted would have.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, MattTheDuck said:

When we got to CDs I told a work friend I was just going to wait for whatever was next (at which he scoffed because there was no way to improve on CDs) so I saved a fortune and now get all the music I want for $10/month.  It'll take 50 years to cost what just buying all the CDs I wanted would have.

I still collect vinyl as love owning a physical artefact. Exactly same as comic books. 

thing is, if I didn’t also collect vinyl and invested all that money into comics, I’d have a much better collection than I do !! 

On 4/30/2022 at 4:46 PM, Namtak said:

Video game finds at pawnshop in Montréal city

20220430_172517.jpg

20220430_173632.jpg

20220430_172409.jpg

I think that wolverine was the first my dad saw me play and was interested in watching.

When the Jack in the box opened and out came a guy with a machine gun, he nearly busted a gut laughing.

Good times!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, Conacon said:

Let's bring comics back into the discussion with a little guessing game- of my finds today, one of these was a throw-in and one was $1. 

WIN_20220430_21_14_22_Pro.jpg

I'm going to say the mtu was a$1 and the X-Men was a throw in. It might be vice versa , but to not bend the rules, I'll stick as stated

On 4/30/2022 at 10:24 PM, Conacon said:

Let's bring comics back into the discussion with a little guessing game- of my finds today, one of these was a throw-in and one was $1. 

WIN_20220430_21_14_22_Pro.jpg

New iron man one dinero and the old iron man thrown in. How much was the total?