• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

I go to Craigslist people's houses almost weekly. If not weekly, than every other week.

Everyone I've meet just wants to sell. Some are a lot more foolish than others. The only time I see concern is when I tell them that it's a bit out of my buying range (meaning they are charging way too much for junk).

Only one time did a dude start to get pretty feisty. I swear he looked like someone from Grease that had aged poorly. I was surprisingly the cool head and we ended up coming to a sweet deal.

I RARELY try to jimmy the price down. It just feels insulting and is often not worth it as the other person doesn't want to hear it.

I usually carry a fairly sizeable knife.

Patrick

I found this at a Garage Sale about a year ago for a buck. 1st print hardcover, thought even if I sell it for 1/2 cover I'd make a decent profit.

stardust1a.jpg

When I got it home and looked at it closer, I discovered this

stardust1b.jpg

Ended up selling it on eBay for $125.

I go to Craigslist people's houses almost weekly. If not weekly, than every other week.

Everyone I've meet just wants to sell. Some are a lot more foolish than others. The only time I see concern is when I tell them that it's a bit out of my buying range (meaning they are charging way too much for junk).

Only one time did a dude start to get pretty feisty. I swear he looked like someone from Grease that had aged poorly. I was surprisingly the cool head and we ended up coming to a sweet deal.

I RARELY try to jimmy the price down. It just feels insulting and is often not worth it as the other person doesn't want to hear it.

Patrick

You didn't show up with less cash than previously agreed upon? My buddy did that once in University, ultimate -move...

I found this at a Garage Sale about a year ago for a buck. 1st print hardcover, thought even if I sell it for 1/2 cover I'd make a decent profit.

stardust1a.jpg

When I got it home and looked at it closer, I discovered this

stardust1b.jpg

Ended up selling it on eBay for $125.

SWEET!

Garage sale today. They had advertised comics. When I got there a half hour after the "start", I was told a dealer was there at 7am and went through and bought a bunch. Nothing good was left as you could expect.

But I found this piece:

2dgqibd.jpg

Edited by AnkurJ

Patrick

You didn't show up with less cash than previously agreed upon? My buddy did that once in University, ultimate -move...

Nah, I wouldn't do it. If I want it and agreed to a price, I'm going to bring the right amount of cash. People are crazy and it takes very little for some to walk away at the smallest inconvenience.

In the numerous visits, I've felt bad twice. Once, some of the sub-pieces were broken and hadn't previously been disclosed. I offered half and he took it. Until that happened (recently), I had never paid less than the original price via e-mail/text.

Second time (even more recently), we had a deal. He confirmed that they were in NM shape. Got to the showing and they were FAR from NM. The prices were already at the extreme end of NM. So we walked away without any sale.

Patrick

Today I went to one yard sale where the house owner has his comic book collection for sale. I got to view his books, and I learned that they were HIS original owner collection when he was a kid in the 1960s! Unfortunately, they are all cartoon character theme in the entire lot.

He want $500 for the whole lot, most of them are in mid-grades (4.0-6.0) with a few copies touching maybe 7.0. What are in there are: Walt Disney (Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, WDCS, Uncle Scrooge), Hanna-Barbera stuff, Some few Archies, Harvey and Dells.

I have the copy of the listings (4 pages). Might think - maybe. maybe not? hm

But how often do I get to meet the original owner who kept the comics from when he was a kid? Not many! His collection covered a 8-year span from Sept 1964 to 1972, with 248 comics total.

Sorry no photos - too many people in crowd in his garage. :cry:

I saw this on CL this week, maybe someone here wants to throw a bid in:

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/gms/4493677995.html

Who collects comics and then sells them like this :screwy:

If it's a genuine estate sale than the collector is deceased. I would totally understand the heirs not wanting to piece out 24 longboxes of comics.

this was covered here I believe