• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

I had an email in response to my 'wanted to buy' ad some months ago, politely responded and was told they'd get back to me, when ready to dispose of some comics.

That was 3 months ago.

I got another mail this morning asking if I'd like to come and look at some books their son had left before going overseas to be with a 'friend'.

So my wife and I arrive in a leafy respectable suburb, and knock on the door, to be greeted by a lovely couple in their Eighties!

They show me the comics, and tell me I can have them, as I had been 'polite and helpful' earlier.

Rough maths put the son in his 50's - apparently he had gone to Thailand to live with "that thing" (not my words) who had, "you know, both bits"

It would seem that their son had created a bit of a scandal by doing this, and they were effectively disposing of everything in their house of his. He'd lived there all his life (the coffee and biscuits had come out by now), and him going off to Thailand to live with his, as we say in Australia, mail-order-bride (with a bonus surprise), had been the last straw.

It would seem working had not been high on his priorities either.

So, 2840 comics, including most New 52 runs were given to us.

They would accept no payment, and offered to throw in his TV as well (I declined)

After leaving, I stuffed all the money we had on us, $260, under their front door and drove off into the distance.....

Essendon_zpsxp0xuqqj.png

These were in the first couple of boxes.Full runs of all new 52 - except Harley Quinn. No complaints...

comics_zps00umdvzr.png

You can have your Craigslist - we have Gumtree!

And to you Sir, in Thailand, I hope you are having a ball!

I had an email in response to my 'wanted to buy' ad some months ago, politely responded and was told they'd get back to me, when ready to dispose of some comics.

That was 3 months ago.

I got another mail this morning asking if I'd like to come and look at some books their son had left before going overseas to be with a 'friend'.

So my wife and I arrive in a leafy respectable suburb, and knock on the door, to be greeted by a lovely couple in their Eighties!

They show me the comics, and tell me I can have them, as I had been 'polite and helpful' earlier.

Rough maths put the son in his 50's - apparently he had gone to Thailand to live with "that thing" (not my words) who had, "you know, both bits"

It would seem that their son had created a bit of a scandal by doing this, and they were effectively disposing of everything in their house of his. He'd lived there all his life (the coffee and biscuits had come out by now), and him going off to Thailand to live with his, as we say in Australia, mail-order-bride (with a bonus surprise), had been the last straw.

They would accept no payment, and offered to throw in his TV as well (I declined)

After leaving, I stuffed all the money we had on us, $260, under their front door and drove off into the distance.....

Essendon_zpsxp0xuqqj.png

These were in the first couple of boxes.Full runs of all new 52 - except Harley Quinn. No complaints...

comics_zps00umdvzr.png

having a ball...cheeky!

Class act with the dollars Andy, now get sorting!

That was 3 months ago.

Essendon_zpsxp0xuqqj.png

comics_zps00umdvzr.png

having a ball...cheeky!

Class act with the dollars Andy, now get sorting!

Thanks Jimmers!

Great pickup Beige, I wish I could peruse through those boxes. (thumbs u

Thanks - the first was full of (as far as I know) mostly drek - some Phantoms, and some MAD mags were the best.

I need to look at ebay to see what's what.

May be some time!

Thanks for the kind words!

:banana: Thread winning phrase right here! :b anana:

Good reading material right there!

he's probably having two

Taking what comes on the chin,natch! :o

hm

:cry:

That was 3 months ago.

Essendon_zpsxp0xuqqj.png

comics_zps00umdvzr.png

Wow what a great pickup :)

he's probably having two

hm

so what your saying is... in losing the books he's taking a shot to the mouth?

Great pickup Beige, I wish I could peruse through those boxes. (thumbs u

Thanks - the first was full of (as far as I know) mostly drek - some Phantoms, and some MAD mags were the best.

I need to look at ebay to see what's what.

May be some time!

Thanks for the kind words!

fun story

and very lovely of you to put the cash under the door (i'd worry they'd not see it!)

enjoy

he's probably having two

hm

so what your saying is... in losing the books he's taking a shot to the mouth?

Two balls on the chin....

You suck. I almost pulled the Phantoms from your pile.

No good deed goes unrewarded. All the over 100 double covers I have, I've never pulled one from the wild.

Want to quadruple your money, real quick?

lol

If you really want it back, I guess we can come to terms. It's either that, or I have to start my own double cover collection... hm