• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

Stopped in a pawn shop today and they randomly had a box of silver age books. Guy pawned them and then never showed back up. A few keys, but condition was mediocre and prices were high.

Spidey 50, 121 and 122 were the best and were $150 a pop for, maybe, good condition. 95-99 UXmen, a smattering of Spideys from 50-120 as well plus some early Hero for Hire (2-4 I believe) and a few others of note.

I put together a stack of the 50, 121, 122, 46 along with X-Men 95, 96, 97, 99 and he quote 400 from sticker price of 500. I passed. I am also not in your guys caliber of grading and valuing.

Edited by yecul

About 10 years ago, I went into a used book store that I frequented often. He never really had comics but fantasy novels, some magazines and other stuff that I enjoy. But one day he got a box of silver age comics.

He asked me " I don't know much about comics, how much should I charge?" I was really tempted to make him a lowball offer for the box. There was nothing super valuable but still a long box of silver age, Fantastic four, Avengers and Spider-man, in maybe Fine-Very fine range of grades. He told me he paid $150 for them. So it was an excellent deal for him.

I was going to offer $300 and double his profit, but these books would have gone for thousands if listed and sold properly. Back then Ebay was a way better place to sell as we all know. I got one of those cartoon moments where you see the cartoon devil and angel on your shoulders whispering the "correct" thing to do.

I decided to be honest with him, explain to him that old comics are very valuable. I told him to buy a "comic price guide", explained to him what that was all about. I told him the guide was just an estimate and he might need to sell them cheaper if he wanted to move them out fast. He thanked me, told me he would look into getting a guide and put the comics away for now.

I admit I was kind of hoping he would reward me with a book or two for my honesty.

The next week I came back to the same store and saw a huge sign in the front window "COMICS". He had quickly converted his store to a kind of impromptu comic book store based on that collection he found. I opened the door and saw a few of his comics in display cases. His eyes wide opened, like he had won the lottery or something. All his comics were priced at near mint prices. Though none were anywhere close to mint.

I explained to him what conditions meant in the guide. I told him that the creases on the comics were a big deal and that nobody was going to pay him the full near mint guide price for anything. He would reply every time with "this...this is just a scratch, It's nothing I tell you...NOTHING!". He said that over and over again and nothing would sink through. I told him that there were dirt and pen marks on a few of the covers and he literally spit into his hand and tried to rub it off the cover of the books.

He thanked me for helping him. Never gave me any money or book as a reward. I didn't come back to the store until several months later. The comics were no longer there. No idea what happened to him. A few weeks after that, the store closed down.

About 10 years ago, I went into a used book store that I frequented often. He never really had comics but fantasy novels, some magazines and other stuff that I enjoy. But one day he got a box of silver age comics.

He asked me " I don't know much about comics, how much should I charge?" I was really tempted to make him a lowball offer for the box. There was nothing super valuable but still a long box of silver age, Fantastic four, Avengers and Spider-man, in maybe Fine-Very fine range of grades. He told me he paid $150 for them. So it was an excellent deal for him.

I was going to offer $300 and double his profit, but these books would have gone for thousands if listed and sold properly. Back then Ebay was a way better place to sell as we all know. I got one of those cartoon moments where you see the cartoon devil and angel on your shoulders whispering the "correct" thing to do.

I decided to be honest with him, explain to him that old comics are very valuable. I told him to buy a "comic price guide", explained to him what that was all about. I told him the guide was just an estimate and he might need to sell them cheaper if he wanted to move them out fast. He thanked me, told me he would look into getting a guide and put the comics away for now.

I admit I was kind of hoping he would reward me with a book or two for my honesty.

The next week I came back to the same store and saw a huge sign in the front window "COMICS". He had quickly converted his store to a kind of impromptu comic book store based on that collection he found. I opened the door and saw a few of his comics in display cases. His eyes wide opened, like he had won the lottery or something. All his comics were priced at near mint prices. Though none were anywhere close to mint.

I explained to him what conditions meant in the guide. I told him that the creases on the comics were a big deal and that nobody was going to pay him the full near mint guide price for anything. He would reply every time with "this...this is just a scratch, It's nothing I tell you...NOTHING!". He said that over and over again and nothing would sink through. I told him that there were dirt and pen marks on a few of the covers and he literally spit into his hand and tried to rub it off the cover of the books.

He thanked me for helping him. Never gave me any money or book as a reward. I didn't come back to the store until several months later. The comics were no longer there. No idea what happened to him. A few weeks after that, the store closed down.

poor guy...

this is when you should have listened to the little devil on your shoulder and offered him the $300. He would have been happy, you would have been happy, and who knows, you might have saved his business. :preach:

Moral of the story: if he doesn't know anything about them and you do, you insert yourself as the expert. Agree on a book as payment before you do the work, and tell him what he should be selling for.

What did you want a reward for, telling him to check the prices? Like he wasn't going to do that anyway?

Moral of the story: if he doesn't know anything about them and you do, you insert yourself as the expert. Agree on a book as payment before you do the work, and tell him what he should be selling for.

What did you want a reward for, telling him to check the prices? Like he wasn't going to do that anyway?

He wasn't. He completely trusted me to tell him what to do with those comics. How much to sell them for, etc. Why wouldn't I want a reward? If the next guy who comes into the store offers him $300, maybe he takes it and costs himself thousands in opportunity cost.

Edited by theThreat

He thanked me for helping him. Never gave me any money or book as a reward.

Reward? For what? You didn't save his life, you aren't a hero. lol. Just offer him a good deal for the books and be on your way.

He thanked me for helping him. Never gave me any money or book as a reward.

Reward? For what? You didn't save his life, you aren't a hero. lol. Just offer him a good deal for the books and be on your way.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!

He Mr. Miyagi'd this guy into a comic book dealer. It took untold minutes to convey the rudiments.

:insane:

I once found some guy's wallet, he gave me the cash as a reward. Does it need to be a life saving event to deserve a reward?

Anyways, what was the best case scenario? He didn't have an Action comics #1. It wasn't life changing money. A couple thousand dollars, maybe. Who knows what the final auction prices on Ebay would have been?

I once found some guy's wallet, he gave me the cash as a reward. Does it need to be a life saving event to deserve a reward?

Anyways, what was the best case scenario? He didn't have an Action comics #1. It wasn't life changing money. A couple thousand dollars, maybe. Who knows what the final auction prices on Ebay would have been?

Expectations are different based on the situation. In a social transaction where I am holding a door for someone I would expect a thank you. There are a lot of people who do not say that and most often happens when I am in an affluent area.

This is more of a business transaction than a social transaction that you are talking about, you are using your time to assist this person who did not know about it. Did you deserve anything? No. If you felt you did then you should have handled it differently.

Finecollector was right.

The fact that you imply that you deserve something really ruffles my feathers.

Here's one I'll share from today. A building manager calls me yesterday from my CL ad and tells me he has about 30 comics from a guy who passed away from his building. I go there today and he gives me a shoe box of comics and tells me to give him $25. He felt bad that I paid $30 in tolls to get there, and told me to take it for free, but I still gave him the $25. Most of the books are in G to VG condition.

The Mad is not the first print. lol

The Foom is in pretty good shape. Really happy with that, because that's a book you don't come across every day.

image%208_zpscowpw8eu.jpeg

image%209_zpsb4b2ym9h.jpeg

Here's one I'll share from today. A building manager calls me yesterday from my CL ad and tells me he has about 30 comics from a guy who passed away from his building. I go there today and he gives me a shoe box of comics and tells me to give him $25. He felt bad that I paid $30 in tolls to get there, and told me to take it for free, but I still gave him the $25. Most of the books are in G to VG condition.

The Mad is not the first print. lol

The Foom is in pretty good shape. Really happy with that, because that's a book you don't come across every day.

image%208_zpscowpw8eu.jpeg

image%209_zpsb4b2ym9h.jpeg

wow-- now that is an incredibly cool pick up. congrats