• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

I kind of hate you, but just in a jealous kind of way. I never stumble on any motherload!!

450 comics isn't a motherlode but maybe a babyload.

We can't all be Donut or October or (whoever) and find a guy with a van full of SA comics ready to unload for cover price.

To be fair, a lot of people put in a LOT of legwork into getting 'lucky' with these comic finds. Of course, sometimes people get lucky too.

Also, I'm guessing the best stories will never be told... I know I'll never tell mine...(and no, I didn't bilk an old widow or anything).

Here's the key:

1) Always be on the lookout. Always. You never know.

2) Let all of your relatives and friends know that you're always on the lookout. All of my cousins across the country know to call me if they see comics anywhere.

3) Don't be a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed to people. Douchiness tends to radiate to muggles.

4) Offer a fair price.

5) Have cash.

6) Buy it all. Don't offer to cherry pick.

7) Be very very very ready to bail. If the seller's asking price is ludicrous, smile nicely, say "thank you for your time" and pack up your stuff. You're only out your time, and you will be amazed how quickly that ludicrous price comes down.

Good advice, while I don't buy many collections. I always look and put out feelers.

I second that good advice.

Sunday, figured I would hit a moving sale that listed comics. Hit traffic because the road was closed. Missed out on everything. I am done with garage sales now. :P Too much time wasted.

Never give up hope. A craig'slist ad is how I am now the owner of a Hulk 181 and it really got me back into getting serious and enjoying collecting.

I kind of hate you, but just in a jealous kind of way. I never stumble on any motherload!!

450 comics isn't a motherlode but maybe a babyload.

Here's the key:

1) Always be on the lookout. Always. You never know.

2) Let all of your relatives and friends know that you're always on the lookout. All of my cousins across the country know to call me if they see comics anywhere.

3) Don't be a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed to people. Douchiness tends to radiate to muggles.

4) Offer a fair price.

5) Have cash.

6) Buy it all. Don't offer to cherry pick.

7) Be very very very ready to bail. If the seller's asking price is ludicrous, smile nicely, say "thank you for your time" and pack up your stuff. You're only out your time, and you will be amazed how quickly that ludicrous price comes down.

So far I had only hit two " babyload" scores, but I'm not giving up :grin:

I make sure I bring enough cash in my pocket whenever I hunt at yard sales, Never know what you would find among the stuff.

#6) True, IF the price is sound and fair ... I would take all the bad and good as whole. One time I had offered for a boxload to one seller at yard sale. He wanted full retail (guide) price, so I walked away with "thank you". Thus, the #7 rule.

Good advice!

I am going to try a garage sale for comics tomorrow at my home in central NJ. This is my first attempt at this type of thing but it will be interesting to sit on the other side of the table for the first time!

me too, sunday, in our "neighborhood" yard sale. hoping the weather doesn't scare people off. not my first time, but i am going to approach it a little differently this year with the comics. i'm thinking that while there may be some flippers like us there (for whom i have no use...), there are other people who may be buying comics who don't have a clue and who think anything "old" looking (50 cent cover price or less) is worth something or anything with a hot movie character. so, me putting out 3 long boxes of 1990s junk I want to get rid of (and I rarely get rid of the stuff I REALLY want to get rid of) I am going to be more strategic, put out lower grade 70s books that just aren't worth selling here or on ebay, (like my awesome collection of Marvel star wars comics with rusty staples!) perhaps appear like i don't have a clue what I have out there, etc.

I have noticed in the past when I put out 70s beaters 12 for $10 along with the 90s junk there are inevitably a few guys who just buy a huge stack without even looking at them. maybe i can edge that price point up to $2 each this year. we shall see.

on the other hand, early april in NY is not really prime yard sale time unfortunately.

That's a cool book. Is that a "Following Cerebus" issue?
Picking through a local indie collection........

301_zpsvpqlbpzm.jpg

sorry Photobucket would not let me rotate.

Its just a promotional postcard and not really a comic....but it is quite cool.

The question is, whether I can do a quick run through my hood before my table gets going to make sure none of my neighbors have any comic treasures.

A few years ago I went over to my next door neighbor at the end of the day after I had a busy day selling comics, records, books, etc. and I see she has, in these weird vinyl slip cases, comics...ASM 300, ASM 252 and SW 8! Mind you, she had some idea they were worth something (she thought the ASM 300 was worth about $40-50, it wasn't mint or anything) which is probably what it was worth last time her husband looked it up when he was alive a couple of year earlier. So it is possible she may have been insiting on "full value" all day if asked, I have no idea, but they were all still there. Can't imagine she would have turned down $20-$30 for all of them. Meanwhile I probably sold 100-150 dollar books that day (good day).

Anyway, she just gave them to me knowing that I collect comics. (And knowing I always offer her my driveway if she has family over, take in her garbage cans sometimes, and occasionally shovel the snow off the sidewalk in front of her house....). Of course, I sold the 300 here, but I still have the others.

Edited by the blob

for the guys setting up the yard sales this weekend-- take some pictures of your setup and share them here-- I would find that interesting and I bet I am not alone.

good luck!

I guess so. I am only doing it for 9am-12 noon and it is forecast for 30-60% chance of rain and 36-43 degrees. :P But I ran the craigslist ad for 3-4 weeks and I want to stick with the day so I have most of it set-up on the front inside of my garage. I will bring the nicer stuff out in the morning, open the door and hope people come by. But since it is in my garage it will be :blush: in the pictures.

for the guys setting up the yard sales this weekend-- take some pictures of your setup and share them here-- I would find that interesting and I bet I am not alone.

good luck!

I guess so. I am only doing it for 9am-12 noon and it is forecast for 30-60% chance of rain and 36-43 degrees. :P But I ran the craigslist ad for 3-4 weeks and I want to stick with the day so I have most of it set-up on the front inside of my garage. I will bring the nicer stuff out in the morning, open the door and hope people come by. But since it is in my garage it will be :blush: in the pictures.

Can't wait to see it

good luck!

Here's my setup...7am-2pm tomorrow and Sunday. It's supposed to be windy but sunny. Third weekend in a row I'm having a sale...it continues to do well, so I'll continue to do it. :)

00B0B_29qlAKmsXM1_600x450.jpg

00k0k_fk6JscYZYWd_600x450.jpg

00808_kZzox7f3W8D_600x450.jpg

00O0O_ekWIvAbVRZS_600x450.jpg

00101_aw9wjpIVMa8_600x450.jpg

00s0s_gmOfv6i2f9C_600x450.jpg

00202_krxp2f39hBX_600x450.jpg

00000_iAB3aewIY8h_600x450.jpg

good luck!

Here's my setup...7am-2pm tomorrow and Sunday. It's supposed to be windy but sunny. Third weekend in a row I'm having a sale...it continues to do well, so I'll continue to do it. :)

00B0B_29qlAKmsXM1_600x450.jpg

00k0k_fk6JscYZYWd_600x450.jpg

00808_kZzox7f3W8D_600x450.jpg

00O0O_ekWIvAbVRZS_600x450.jpg

00101_aw9wjpIVMa8_600x450.jpg

00s0s_gmOfv6i2f9C_600x450.jpg

00202_krxp2f39hBX_600x450.jpg

00000_iAB3aewIY8h_600x450.jpg

Nice!!! I'd go to that sale!