• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

I am going to be more strategic, put out lower grade 70s books that just aren't worth selling here or on ebay, (like my awesome collection of Marvel star wars comics with rusty staples!) perhaps appear like i don't have a clue what I have out there, etc.

I have noticed in the past when I put out 70s beaters 12 for $10 along with the 90s junk there are inevitably a few guys who just buy a huge stack without even looking at them. maybe i can edge that price point up to $2 each this year. we shall see.

Good strategy Blob. I do really well with Mixing ages for $1 each. With new comics at $3-4 each, you will sell a ton of readers. You will also get picker people who maybe don't know much about comics that have never seen them that cheap. Personally I would keep them at $1, but you could try them at $2 and lower to $1 (or discount bulk) if sales are slow.

I want to go to that sale now!

Being slightly less of a pro than Chip, here is the edge of my garage this morning.

(Yes, the garage is messy around the edges, I know.)

CfmUPNiW8AE33XC.jpg

CfmUPKkW8AEOTTc.jpg

CfmUPLnXEAAlagN.jpg

CfmUNgaWsAAZFZY.jpgCfmUNgXXEAQa06-.jpg

If no one comes I can always sell the stuff now as I organized all this. I still have a few longboxes unorganized, and then my own OO stuff as well (this is all from buying some collections).

Here is my craigslist ad for more pictures

craigslist ad

Edited by Bird

for the guys setting up the yard sales this weekend-- take some pictures of your setup and share them here-- I would find that interesting and I bet I am not alone.

good luck!

I just had a 1-day 8-hour garage sale last Saturday. Turnout wasn't as great as I hoped as I advertised extensively (multiple Facebook comic groups, craigslist and our Nextdoor website (28 neighborhoods). Sales still weren't bad for 8 hours....about $500. Here's my setup:

image_zpsmyldvqra.jpeg

image_zpsw7wjqbja.jpeg

image_zpsn9ujhtyl.jpeg

image_zpsukatcnxt.jpeg

image_zpsxeeidljs.jpeg

I'm actually going to leave our garage setup like this and I'll have more sales about once each month. Like Blob, I threw in my 12,15 and 20 cent beaters in the dollar boxes. One of the first guys to my sale bought $180 worth of $1 and $2 books and most were the lower grade older books.

Edited by Shark

well, my sale is over and I consider it a mild success. It was 40ish degrees and a bleak and blah day. 9am - 12 noon, 5 visitors who all bought something and spent $4, $10, $23, $68 and $130. That last guy was a little bold but a good buyer, he put down $142 in books and asked to pay $120 and get $30 more (3 of the Walmart packs I had priced at $10 each) as well. I countered with $130 and he jumped on it. It was a good deal for him price wise but worked well for me even though he ended up with 5 Walmart packs as many of the books were good buys by me at a con or two. He really studied the books too, mostly early Harley Quinn.New 52 books that I think are easy 9.6 and likely 9.8.

So it was very slow but prior to starting I decided that $225 was my minimum goal for success.and I took in $235. But I sold a Descender 1 9.0 slab for $15, which was a monetary loss but made the whole morning worth it! And the last customer, a 25ish year old woman, said she would send her friends over as they were big Marvel guys. I told her the sale was almost over but since she lives nearby she will alert them when I do it again.

I think I will leave much of the stuff set-up and do it in 5 weeks or so. Better weather, better promotion, and a few more boxes of comics ready by then hopefully (I put out no X-Men and next to no Spidey or Batman.)

for the guys setting up the yard sales this weekend-- take some pictures of your setup and share them here-- I would find that interesting and I bet I am not alone.

good luck!

I just had a 1-day 8-hour garage sale last Saturday. Turnout wasn't as great as I hoped as I advertised extensively (multiple Facebook comic groups, craigslist and our Nextdoor website (28 neighborhoods). Sales still weren't bad for 8 hours....about $500. Here's my setup:

image_zpsmyldvqra.jpeg

image_zpsw7wjqbja.jpeg

image_zpsn9ujhtyl.jpeg

image_zpsukatcnxt.jpeg

image_zpsxeeidljs.jpeg

I'm actually going to leave our garage setup like this and I'll have more sales about once each month. Like Blob, I threw in my 12,15 and 20 cent beaters in the dollar boxes. One of the first guys to my sale bought $180 worth of $1 and $2 books and most were the lower grade older books.

Looks great! I would be nervous though about someone knocking into your display rack, knocking it down and all your CGC cases cracking.....

Just picked up a small haul from the original owner selling his collection. Runs of Detective (442-469) and Flash (224-245) plus some assorted goodies. Funny story, I actually planned to go to a comic shop this morning while I waited for my wife who had an appointment. I get there when it's supposed to open and it still says closed. I notice a couple people lingering out front so I assume they're waiting as well. I head down the street, walk around a bit grab some juice, come back and they're still waiting there. Older gentleman and his wife. He's got a couple boxes on the ground. So I strike up conversation with him, chat about comics and this and that. Another 15 minutes go by and now it's 45 minutes after the sign on the store says it's supposed to open. I inquire about his boxes and he tells me his story about moving into a condo and downsizing so the comics gotta go. He's had them since he bought em off the rack, read them but kept them in generally good condition although loose. He told me he opened up a few of them recently and the stories came back to him like he first read them when he was young. Also mentioned if he couldn't sell them he might give them to his grand daughter to cut up and make a collage or something =x By now it's an hour after the store was supposed to open and it's still closed. He said he called the day before to get the time they open, and showed up that morning 20 minutes early. I can tell they are getting impatient and probably going to take off soon. So I asked him if he minded me looking through them and maybe grabbing some. He said sure! Go ahead! He has about 450 books he estimated, told me he already sold off his Conans, but he's got mostly DC, Batman's and Superman and a few Marvels. So I end up pulling out the books I like the most, runs of Detective and Flash - I didn't have a box or bag with me and my car was about a 15 minute walk away so I could only grab what I could carry back to the car with me. I left behind Justice League's, Action and Superman books. I didn't even get to see the Marvels they were down underneath. I knew how much he was looking to get per book from earlier, so I asked him to name his price for my pile and it was fair so I accepted. I didn't get to shop at the store but I did get some cool stuff in the end. Left plenty of books for the no-show store owner as well lol. I wonder he ever showed up before the guy left.

yffEpqol.jpg

ibj0Vfhl.jpg

well, my sale is over and I consider it a mild success. It was 40ish degrees and a bleak and blah day. 9am - 12 noon, 5 visitors who all bought something and spent $4, $10, $23, $68 and $130. That last guy was a little bold but a good buyer, he put down $142 in books and asked to pay $120 and get $30 more (3 of the Walmart packs I had priced at $10 each) as well. I countered with $130 and he jumped on it. It was a good deal for him price wise but worked well for me even though he ended up with 5 Walmart packs as many of the books were good buys by me at a con or two. He really studied the books too, mostly early Harley Quinn.New 52 books that I think are easy 9.6 and likely 9.8.

So it was very slow but prior to starting I decided that $225 was my minimum goal for success.and I took in $235. But I sold a Descender 1 9.0 slab for $15, which was a monetary loss but made the whole morning worth it! And the last customer, a 25ish year old woman, said she would send her friends over as they were big Marvel guys. I told her the sale was almost over but since she lives nearby she will alert them when I do it again.

I think I will leave much of the stuff set-up and do it in 5 weeks or so. Better weather, better promotion, and a few more boxes of comics ready by then hopefully (I put out no X-Men and next to no Spidey or Batman.)

Drop me a line the next time you plan on setting up. Always have cash to spend and not too far from your area.

Drop me a line the next time you plan on setting up. Always have cash to spend and not too far from your area.

Thanks, will do! (thumbs u

Love the idea of a mini con at your house. I just wanted to ask a few questions.

I am wanting to move some inventory, no shows planned, how long in advance did you all start advertising?

Were the books you all sold mostly $1 books, plus a few wall books?

Also, on the ads when did you advertise your address? My only concern is someone showing up early to buy books and the sale hasn't even started yet.

Thank you all!

Picked up these Marvel hardcovers for fairly light $$ on my way home from a band rehearsal last night.

The dust jackets on the Avengers and the Marvel 1 reprint are a little worn, but the others look brand-new, and all of the books themselves look and feel unread (bindings are VERY tight).

Anyone know how to tell if the Masterworks are first printings? The copyright pages list the dates of publication as 1987 for the FF & Spidey, 1988 for the Avengers, and 1989 for the Hulk. Other than that, there's not much to go on...

marvel-MW.jpg

Picked up these Marvel hardcovers for fairly light $$ on my way home from a band rehearsal last night.

The dust jackets on the Avengers and the Marvel 1 reprint are a little worn, but the others look brand-new, and all of the books themselves look and feel unread (bindings are VERY tight).

Anyone know how to tell if the Masterworks are first printings? The copyright pages list the dates of publication as 1987 for the FF & Spidey, 1988 for the Avengers, and 1989 for the Hulk. Other than that, there's not much to go on...

marvel-MW.jpg

I could be wrong, but I recall the 1st printings having the same color dust jacket as your Avengers one. I'm fairly certain I am correct because I remember buying them when they first came out and they all had the tan / off-white dust jackets.

My wife picked up one of her grails at a local flea market yesterday: an authentic Cerebus # 1 signed by Dave Sim himself thirty-three years earlier to the day!

161718.jpg.5675d640e74904d5f950183e0cec1bf0.jpg

161719.jpg.8571623388219acb8f15c15ee1d60f8d.jpg