• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

My wife picked up one of her grails at a local flea market yesterday: an authentic Cerebus # 1 signed by Dave Sim himself thirty-three years earlier to the day!

Stunning! And awesome!

He was aware of the signature. The dealer is a friend of ours and gave my wife a great price. He's actually the same guy who I assume tbone911t bought his comics from (we were set up across from him with comics too, wish you would have said hello, as we love meeting fellow boardies locally!).

We actually had a terrible day at the flea market and the dealer who had the Cerebus 1 had some other great items that we would have purchased if our sales had gone well (including Cerebus 2 and 4, as well as a double-cover TMNT # 3).

Good times in the Maritimes!

He was aware of the signature. The dealer is a friend of ours and gave my wife a great price. He's actually the same guy who I assume tbone911t bought his comics from (we were set up across from him with comics too, wish you would have said hello, as we love meeting fellow boardies locally!).

We actually had a terrible day at the flea market and the dealer who had the Cerebus 1 had some other great items that we would have purchased if our sales had gone well (including Cerebus 2 and 4, as well as a double-cover TMNT # 3).

Good times in the Maritimes!

You are correct! I almost bought the Cerebus myself. Still debating the 9.4 ASM 129 he has.......

Edited by tbone911t

His ASM 129 is actually a fair price. I'm pretty sure he will be at the East Coast Comics Expo in Moncton next month (we will be too), just in case you didn't know about it. If you don't have his contact info send me a PM and I can forward it to you.

Picked up these Marvel hardcovers for fairly light $$ on my way home from a band rehearsal last night.

The dust jackets on the Avengers and the Marvel 1 reprint are a little worn, but the others look brand-new, and all of the books themselves look and feel unread (bindings are VERY tight).

Anyone know how to tell if the Masterworks are first printings? The copyright pages list the dates of publication as 1987 for the FF & Spidey, 1988 for the Avengers, and 1989 for the Hulk. Other than that, there's not much to go on...

marvel-MW.jpg

Grabbed one more today from the same source:

MW-xmen.jpg

This one is clearly marked as a first print (1993). I'm guessing that some of these are harder to find than others?

My weekend sale sucked. Apparently there were several community-wide sales going on so I saw a total of 9 people on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Made about $165, but still...nothing like the last 2 weekends.

I won't have another sale for at least a month, but I'll probably put up an ad for the 50-cent comics on CL and keep that going...I have over 7,000 cheap books to still get rid of.

Glad to hear everyone else did so well this weekend...that Cerebus #1 is amazing!

Picked up these Marvel hardcovers for fairly light $$ on my way home from a band rehearsal last night.

The dust jackets on the Avengers and the Marvel 1 reprint are a little worn, but the others look brand-new, and all of the books themselves look and feel unread (bindings are VERY tight).

Anyone know how to tell if the Masterworks are first printings? The copyright pages list the dates of publication as 1987 for the FF & Spidey, 1988 for the Avengers, and 1989 for the Hulk. Other than that, there's not much to go on...

marvel-MW.jpg

Grabbed one more today from the same source:

MW-xmen.jpg

This one is clearly marked as a first print (1993). I'm guessing that some of these are harder to find than others?

Scan the back covers of them please. I think the Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four ones are the "variant" editions - if so, you've hit homers.

Hey, thanks. I didn't know there were variants for these things. I'll try to scan the back covers tonight after work.

Here's what MCS lists as "variant editions":

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=592211

They look the same to me as all the other early hardcover copies I've ever seen. What makes them different?

for the guys setting up the yard sales this weekend-- take some pictures of your setup and share them here-- I would find that interesting and I bet I am not alone.

good luck!

I just had a 1-day 8-hour garage sale last Saturday. Turnout wasn't as great as I hoped as I advertised extensively (multiple Facebook comic groups, craigslist and our Nextdoor website (28 neighborhoods). Sales still weren't bad for 8 hours....about $500. Here's my setup:

image_zpsmyldvqra.jpeg

image_zpsw7wjqbja.jpeg

image_zpsn9ujhtyl.jpeg

image_zpsukatcnxt.jpeg

image_zpsxeeidljs.jpeg

I'm actually going to leave our garage setup like this and I'll have more sales about once each month. Like Blob, I threw in my 12,15 and 20 cent beaters in the dollar boxes. One of the first guys to my sale bought $180 worth of $1 and $2 books and most were the lower grade older books.

How much were you asking for the Archie Digests and did you sell any?

On Sunday we had our neighborhood yard sale. but only one other house on my block was participating. It was kind of chilly out. I had low expectations.

Anyway, my plans of putting out beater BA for $2 each for people buying comics just because they look "old" and marking Deapool True Believer 1s at $20 in the hope of someone thinking they were first apps did not materialize as my wife forced me to go to a black tie event the night before and we did not go to bed until like 2:30 a.m. (she wanted to stay until the band went off the stage) and I just did not have sufficient prep time. Getting up at 6:30 a.m. did not happen. More like 8:45, which gave me an hour to set up.

Threw my usual two boxes of yard sale comics out there along with a big box of old records, my wife was selling the kids' toys and clothing.

Anyway, I sold about $35 of dollar comics. So not so great. The day was very slow and I shut down at 1:15 as my son had a little league game anyway.

But before that an old guy (he looked about 85) came to my table with a cane and says, "oh, you just have new stuff?" And I said "there are a few 70s books in there, but mostly 80s and 90s." He says "I tried to sell a bunch of comics to the store on ___, but they said they aren't buying anything." I said "probably depends on how old they are." He said "mine are mostly 12 cent..."

At that point I have visions of an early retirement after stumbling upon a station wagon of pre-65 Marvels or whatever.

I ask him, "so where do you have them?"

In my car, over there....

So we hobble over to his car and I see three tied of grocery bags. My fingers twitch in antciipation as I open them up and...."oh, it's the same sort of stuff I'm trying to sell in my boxes..."

Blech. A bunch of 80s - 2000s books and not any keys. A complete set of the Firestar Mini, last issue of GR 2099, etc.

But I dig a little further and, yes, there are some beat up 12 centers...a couple of beater Jerry Lewis comics, beater Scooters, a couple of decent looking mid-60s DC War, an ok Captain Storm 1, a decent looking Racket Squad 3 (from 1952!), etc. Nothing exciting.

Anyway, I dig further and there is also a nice smattering of 15 - 25 cent cover price Marvel, DC, and Charlton horror in decent shape. A presentable House of Mystery 200. Overall, not bad, and at that point a stack of books I would normally be willing to buy out of a dollar box (about 50-55) and another 50-60 worthless moderns and coppers.

So I offer $20, at which he balks. He takes $25.

Anyway, no big haul.

I get home and I see the a Witching Hour 23 is a 7.0 on the outside, but it is a double cover and the interior cover may be a 9.6 or 9.8. So that's neat. Needs a press for some internal page creasing though.

Anyway, if push comes to shove I make my money back between the HOM 200 and the Racket Busters 3, I think, so the rest is gravy and maybe the double cover is a keeper. My son got a stack of reading books out of it too.

This doesn't really count since it was an actual comic book store and not a flea market or garage sale, but I found a couple solid lower grade Dan DeCarlo issues of Millie the Model from 1955 in a "kid's box" of comics at a comic shop I was visiting out of state. So I'm pretty happy about that.

Man, I wish you guys had been selling around here last weekend. Had two estate sales on my hit list. One ended up not really having any comics at all (even though I swear the listing said "comics") and the other ended up having a bunch of mid-grade bronze common books with crazy crazy crazy prices (like $30 for VG non-key issues of Conan and Master of Kung Fu, etc.) Been a while since I found a good score around here.