• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,870 posts in this topic

I tag/garage sale here in the NY metro area where I've lived for the past 30 years. I only hit up the sales that specifically say they have comics. Sometimes that can be as many as 6-10 different sales on a Saturday morning so I have to prioritize by distance from the home. As some here can attest, I kill it in the copper/modern area, but the Golden Age books are much less frequent a find!

A guy I know, yesterday, found a BA 12 for 50 cents at a yard sale that did not list comic books.

BA 12 is one that you can find for cheap as it is a kids book. I snagged one for $4 off a craigslist post while on vacation last year, and the two copies before that from LCSs for $4 apiece as well (it pays to update prices on back stock...... lol).

I tag/garage sale here in the NY metro area where I've lived for the past 30 years. I only hit up the sales that specifically say they have comics. Sometimes that can be as many as 6-10 different sales on a Saturday morning so I have to prioritize by distance from the home. As some here can attest, I kill it in the copper/modern area, but the Golden Age books are much less frequent a find!

Maybe you need to re-prioritize

IMG_4762.jpg

Nothing like that in garage sales out here :applause:

Got these at a garage sale in Norwalk about 8 years ago.

comicfindrosebowl_zpsvoewjhe1.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

th_what_zpsqfvi1atm.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

:applause:

IMG_4762.jpg

:ohnoez:

A guy I know, yesterday, found a BA 12 for 50 cents at a yard sale that did not list comic books.

BA 12 is one that you can find for cheap as it is a kids book. I snagged one for $4 off a craigslist post while on vacation last year, and the two copies before that from LCSs for $4 apiece as well (it pays to update prices on back stock...... lol).

well, there's "can" and "will"...lord knows I have been looking for one of these and a NM 98 back when it was less than a $100 book...no luck, the one dollar box NM 98 I found was intercepted by the store owner who decreed it "should not have been in that box"...

I found at least 10 NM98 in the past 2-3 years and only one BA12. All were cheap craigslist finds in the tri state area.

But thats just me

i can't bring myself to do craigslist. with my luck the first one i go out and visit chops my head off with a machette.

I found at least 10 NM98 in the past 2-3 years and only one BA12. All were cheap craigslist finds in the tri state area.

But thats just me

i can't bring myself to do craigslist. with my luck the first one i go out and visit chops my head off with a machette.

Yeah, maybe, but after that it'll probably be fine.

But thats just me

:applause: As a safety precaution you can always take someone with you and let them know where you're going and for how long

But thats just me

lol

Yeah Craigslist could be scary at times.

And I swear, my best scores were the ones I was very apprehensive about.

Always tell family friends where you're going for a pick up. Always make sure you get a phone number. Some of them wanna communicate by email only. I don't go if that's the case.

Every time when I walk into someone's house I am on the phone when the person greets me pretending I'm on the phone with my partner. "Yes I arrived here at 23 such and such street, Astoria NY.. And I'm here with.. Im sorry what's your name?"

But truthfully most of the times the sellers are the ones who are worried about getting a stranger into their house. So it helps when u walk in and break the ice w a little humor. Also helps with getting a good deal at the end

Yes, I have had two craigslist "collection" buys and one sale. On the first buy I drove 90 minutes to meet at a corner and receive directions. I just told my wife where I was going then called when I got the next step in the directions, then texted her a photo of the house and nearby street signs. Then I bought 20 longboxes in a basement.

I drove about 2 hours for my only Craigslist buy. I told my wife if the area looked sketchy, I would keep driving and go home. As I got closer to the guy's house, all the houses started turning into three and four story houses with huge yards. My apprehension eased. lol

I will sell on Craigslist and then meet up only at the foodcourt at the mall or something similar. Anything after that... deal is off.

There's a place in my town that the city set up right by the police department, courthouse, etc. called a Swap Spot or something like that. There's a sign downtown people can meet with security cameras and all that in the area.

I drove about 2 hours for my only Craigslist buy. I told my wife if the area looked sketchy, I would keep driving and go home. As I got closer to the guy's house, all the houses started turning into three and four story houses with huge yards. My apprehension eased. lol

Next time use google maps and street view to see the area prior to making the drive. That will help you find the place as well as let you know what to expect without getting into the car.