• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

I was out this morning and picked up a box lot, several TPB and some random issues of Spidey and x-men. Nothing big, ASM 328 and a reprint of ASM 129. After I made an offer less than asking price and the seller accepted a guy that often sets up at the flea market comments, "Was that with the 129, first punisher?".

I couldn't believe it. The money had changed hands, I was holding the box, IMHO the only thing that would have been accomplished is making the seller feel like doo doo the rest of the day. I commented that it was a reprint and walked away. It's better, the seller had taped onto the cover directly, a small piece of paper with his price on it.

I would never, ever say anything. Is that the wrong approach? At the same flea market several months ago a different seller had some bronze marvels for $0.50 each. I was late and some guy was pulling out 30 or 40 books, I only saw a handful, the early Warlocks. I looked through the other boxes, but it wasn't stuff I wanted. Sure I was jealous, but I didn't tell the seller ( a guy in his 30's?), wow, you're selling $20 to $40 books for $0.50?!

At the right place.

100_5496_zpsmycqmowf.jpg

100_5497_zpsrz8rmbsz.jpg

100_5498_zpsvkbmfwzm.jpg

100_5499_zpsdy98jeca.jpg

100_5500_zpstgznabi0.jpg

100_5501_zpsg8k39xly.jpg

Looks like a high grade OO collection I picked up this summer...what a feeling and great find on your part...

right place right time Gets the worm

Congratulations they look pristine :-)

Was that all there was (150 or so) or did you just not show the other stuff? There were 450 books and non sports cards in my find and some other esoteric stuff...

I've never had any luck when looking for comics or collectibles at antique stores. It's all old clothing, old furniture, and just plain old stuff. The few times I've even found comics they're 1990s junk piled haphazardly (without bags or boards) and in lousy condition. Occasionally I see trading cards or action figures but nothing I'm interested in buying.

I suppose I should start hitting garage sales and flea markets rather than antique stores.

Good idea. I've always found more comic books at flea markets and garage sales. Occasionally you get lucky and find a shortbox full at antique malls but that's probably few and far between.

I was out this morning and picked up a box lot, several TPB and some random issues of Spidey and x-men. Nothing big, ASM 328 and a reprint of ASM 129. After I made an offer less than asking price and the seller accepted a guy that often sets up at the flea market comments, "Was that with the 129, first punisher?".

I couldn't believe it. The money had changed hands, I was holding the box, IMHO the only thing that would have been accomplished is making the seller feel like doo doo the rest of the day. I commented that it was a reprint and walked away. It's better, the seller had taped onto the cover directly, a small piece of paper with his price on it.

I would never, ever say anything. Is that the wrong approach? At the same flea market several months ago a different seller had some bronze marvels for $0.50 each. I was late and some guy was pulling out 30 or 40 books, I only saw a handful, the early Warlocks. I looked through the other boxes, but it wasn't stuff I wanted. Sure I was jealous, but I didn't tell the seller ( a guy in his 30's?), wow, you're selling $20 to $40 books for $0.50?!

Always better to say nothing at that point :-)

I've never had any luck when looking for comics or collectibles at antique stores. It's all old clothing, old furniture, and just plain old stuff. The few times I've even found comics they're 1990s junk piled haphazardly (without bags or boards) and in lousy condition. Occasionally I see trading cards or action figures but nothing I'm interested in buying.

I suppose I should start hitting garage sales and flea markets rather than antique stores.

Good idea. I've always found more comic books at flea markets and garage sales. Occasionally you get lucky and find a shortbox full at antique malls but that's probably few and far between.

I see them all the time here in the antique stores. $5-20 each for stuff that won't sell in dollars bins anywhere in the world. lol

I went to an eastate auction yesterday, the sale had around 2k-3k mostly bronze age comics. But instead of selling them by the stack the auctioneer decided to sell the whole lot which went for 2.4k or 2.5k. But packed along with the comics he did have some art which i picked up pretty cheap. The auctioneer told me the owner was really carefull with how he stored things keeping like things together etc. Which made him think the art was made by a comic artists. But for the life of me the onlyWood/Wodds artists I can think of is wally.

gasmask1_zpsaroo4ecw.jpg

gasmask%202_zpsqzrgvujs.jpg

attica1_zpsdhtodtne.jpg

attica2_zpsb6jcia4f.jpg

Wow very cool. Where was this right place?!?!??

This was at an estate sale 126 mile north of me and there were around 2,000 books, including FF #1, Daredevil #1, FF #45 X-Men #10, 14, & 44, Silver Surfer #1, and more.

It was a feeding frenzy and this is what I got out if it.

Here's the kicker, they were all the same price.

This was at an estate sale 126 mile north of me and there were around 2,000 books, including FF #1, Daredevil #1, FF #45 X-Men #10, 14, & 44, Silver Surfer #1, and more.

That sounds crazy! So they were all listed for the same price per book (like $10 each?) and it was a free-for-all with people grabbing whatever they could? Seems like an estate sale organizer would at least realize that there were items of value there.

Congrats though - would like to hear more about it and hope I run into something like that someday!

That sounds crazy! So they were all listed for the same price per book (like $10 each?) and it was a free-for-all with people grabbing whatever they could? Seems like an estate sale organizer would at least realize that there were items of value there.

Congrats though - would like to hear more about it and hope I run into something like that someday!

Waaaaay less than that.

Waaaaay less than that.

Wow congrats on that. I would love to own a lot of those books, too but that is just something I will never be able to afford. I'd really like to own a Fantastic Four #5. I'm a big Doom fan.

There were around 2,000 books with around half being silver and I believe OO.

Here are the advertising pictures of the sale.

estate_zps56y8cxzk.jpg

estate2_zpsqfsd890l.jpg

I will be selling these, what I bought, here.

:ohnoez:

estate_zps56y8cxzk.jpg

estate2_zpsqfsd890l.jpg

Tragic for the estate but a great score for all present I'm sure

estate_zps56y8cxzk.jpg

estate2_zpsqfsd890l.jpg

Tragic for the estate but a great score for all present I'm sure

It really is shocking. Was this a pro company or just the bereaved? This seems like such a huge disservice. Sad really.