• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

I'm amazed you got anything. If I was there first I'd have just bought everything :-)

But I guess there must have been some drek in the 2000...

Yeah, I don't get it either. Who cherry picks at that point if you are first?

Well, I can't compete with Gatchaman's score (I mean, wow!). But I have had a little luck on a few recent road trips which had nothing to do with comic books. It's always a lot of fun to find some cheap, cool books when you're not really looking for them...!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A week or two ago, we took my daughter on her first college visit. And sure enough, there was an LCS near the school, where I found these...

2001-8x2_zps3yvs4lm7.jpg

And these (I detect a theme :) )...

jkc_zpsphzsux8g.jpg

This weekend, we managed a quick family getaway. Here's what turned up at another LCS on our way home today:

• Some readers I needed for my ongoing "Marvel complete: 1970 - 1980" project; a cool Garcia-Lopez Wonder Woman cover I'd never seen before; and a few Josies for a "shared" collection my daughter and I have been putting together for the past five or six years now…

comics1_zpsdvrrx8bn.jpg

• Treasuries...!

treasuries_zpsk7gsiccj.jpg

• One of Byrne's (very) few Batman stories (I actually wrote a letter to DC at the time complaining that Byrne didn't draw the next two issues -- I still have their form letter response around here somewhere I think); a Cap 193 for my spinner rack (more Kirby!!!); and a few minor keys, which I was pleased and surprised to find on the sales floor in the "regular" back issue boxes, and not pulled out, hanging on a wall, and priced to the moon…!

comics2_zps4impymin.jpg

• It's always amazing to me that you can still find sharp, clean, bright, colorful, and very respectable copies of non-key, 40+ year-old comic books in dealers' boxes these days -- and cheap, too…!

subby-51_zpsgrfvvzmi.jpg

• And the oddball find of the day...

cosmo-2_zpsf1zu9sxr.jpg

Long story. The short version is that my kid and I both got a big kick out of finding this one.

A good time was had by all!

Made a run to a local Antique Toy Mall on my lunch break, and came away with these!

wt92k8.jpg

They had several DC Megos as well, but I passed on those as nowadays you can get the really super reproductions from Figure Toys Company. I may break down and go back to grab them, though.

Made a run to a local Antique Toy Mall on my lunch break, and came away with these!

wt92k8.jpg

They had several DC Megos as well, but I passed on those as nowadays you can get the really super reproductions from Figure Toys Company. I may break down and go back to grab them, though.

:applause: Outstanding!

Swamp Thing 1 is your screen saver - cool!

Ha, yeah, I have a few of my favorite covers loaded up as my screen saver. When I scan books for the boards or ebay or whatever, I'll throw my favorites into the folder, along with scans of my original art, so it cycles through the day. A nice reminder of what I did with the money I'm earning at this desk while my souls ebbs away...

After doing a little research on the Megos, I think I did pretty well! I believe Cap's star is a repro, and it's possible that the sticker on his shield is a repro (though I think the shield itself is original), and I believe the sticker on Iron Man's logo is a repro, because I think the original was just a button? But otherwise I think this is all original stuff, discounting the fact that they stuck red gloves on Cap. Pretty pleased!

Unfortunately I can now feel the fever starting to grip me...I may need more of these!

doh!

That's Swamp Thing 9,

Damn, poser DC fans. :facepalm:

I didn't see the point in correcting him, the sentiment was still the same. (shrug)

doh!

That's Swamp Thing 9,

I didn't see the point in correcting him, the sentiment was still the same. (shrug)

What I admire is that Fake didn't fake it by verifying through an image search. He went with his gut which is braver than many here! 1 and 9 do resemble each other at the bottom of the art. :preach:

wt92k8.jpg

:headbang:

Well, I can't compete with Gatchaman's score (I mean, wow!). But I have had a little luck on a few recent road trips which had nothing to do with comic books. It's always a lot of fun to find some cheap, cool books when you're not really looking for them...!

A week or two ago, we took my daughter on her first college visit. And sure enough, there was an LCS near the school, where I found these...

2001-8x2_zps3yvs4lm7.jpg

And these (I detect a theme :) )...

jkc_zpsphzsux8g.jpg

This weekend, we managed a quick family getaway. Here's what turned up at another LCS on our way home today:

Some readers I needed for my ongoing "Marvel complete: 1970 - 1980" project; a cool Garcia-Lopez Wonder Woman cover I'd never seen before; and a few Josies for a "shared" collection my daughter and I have been putting together for the past five or six years now

comics1_zpsdvrrx8bn.jpg

Treasuries...!

treasuries_zpsk7gsiccj.jpg

One of Byrne's (very) few Batman stories (I actually wrote a letter to DC at the time complaining that Byrne didn't draw the next two issues -- I still have their form letter response around here somewhere I think); a Cap 193 for my spinner rack (more Kirby!!!); and a few minor keys, which I was pleased and surprised to find on the sales floor in the "regular" back issue boxes, and not pulled out, hanging on a wall, and priced to the moon!

comics2_zps4impymin.jpg

It's always amazing to me that you can still find sharp, clean, bright, colorful, and very respectable copies of non-key, 40+ year-old comic books in dealers' boxes these days -- and cheap, too!

subby-51_zpsgrfvvzmi.jpg

And the oddball find of the day...

cosmo-2_zpsf1zu9sxr.jpg

Long story. The short version is that my kid and I both got a big kick out of finding this one.

A good time was had by all!

:cloud9: Kirby goodness

wt92k8.jpg

Sweet! These keepers or for sale?

wt92k8.jpg

Megos rule! :headbang:

There were around 2,000 books with around half being silver and I believe OO.

Here are the advertising pictures of the sale.

estate_zps56y8cxzk.jpg

estate2_zpsqfsd890l.jpg

I will be selling these, what I bought, here.

Those earlier photos look great. Could be the angle or the way the comic looks in the bag, but the cover price on the FF #1 looks like it was drawn on to a GRR. Did you end up buying the FF #1?

doh!

That's Swamp Thing 9,

What I admire is that Fake didn't fake it by verifying through an image search. He went with his gut which is braver than many here! 1 and 9 do resemble each other at the bottom of the art. :preach:

Well, I appreciate the admiration, but it should go to 1Cool for going with his gut. Since it's my scan of my comic on my screensaver, I knew which issue it was! (:

wt92k8.jpg

Well, that's the eternal question, isn't it? At this moment they are keepers. But knowing me, it's only a matter of time before I decide there's something else I want more, and off to eBay they go!

But as of this moment i'm really digging them, so I think I'll probably hang on to them, and in fact the urge to go back and buy the rest is growing!

I've been doing some reading up on Megos since I picked these up, and have discovered that my Falcon has Planet of the Apes hands. Now that I know this, I can't unsee it, and I find it a bit disturbing.