• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

People try and price stuff crazy at garage sales sometimes. If they are willing to go through the hassle of selling it on eBay, let them get the money, otherwise let the stuff sit.

As far as finding stuff and making offers, it goes both ways. I went to an old lady's house one afternoon who called me about my classified ad about star wars toys. She pulls out really nice original carded 12 backs in beautiful shape. She set the price crazy low ($50 for 5 or 6 figures at the time, I can't remember), I countered at $150, and got them. I think I turned them in about a week for around $800.

I've also popped on the asking price (even if it was low) and laughed my way to the bank. But there are times you buy a collection, and have to scrape every nickel out of it to break even.

People try and price stuff crazy at garage sales sometimes. If they are willing to go through the hassle of selling it on eBay, let them get the money, otherwise let the stuff sit.

As far as finding stuff and making offers, it goes both ways. I went to an old lady's house one afternoon who called me about my classified ad about star wars toys. She pulls out really nice original carded 12 backs in beautiful shape. She set the price crazy low ($50 for 5 or 6 figures at the time, I can't remember), I countered at $150, and got them. I think I turned them in about a week for around $800.

I've also popped on the asking price (even if it was low) and laughed my way to the bank. But there are times you buy a collection, and have to scrape every nickel out of it to break even.

Did I read right - she was asking $50 for all 5/6 carded 12 backs, and you gave her $150? If so, good on you. (thumbs u You hear people gnashing their teeth about being honest and putting ideas into the sellers mind by telling them the truth about what they're items are worth and potentially losing out on the deal. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it seems like its used too conveniently as justification to rob the unaware.

I'm assuming this was a long time ago too, as there is no way on earth you would be able to get even one carded 12 back now for what you paid for the lot (unless you are speaking about really rough examples). Been looking to complete my 12 Back A set for some time now. Nice haul!

Here is my haul from yesterday - yes another Kenner Canada DS station. This one was super sweet as it had the original instruction sheet AND Kenner French and English catalogues. These are rarer than hens teeth and the instruction sheet, if you can find them, sell for a premium. These are the earlier catalogues which contain product shots for a wide assortment of the first run action figures, and some of them are artist renderings of the figures as they still hadn't produced the figures. The haul also included one of the first collector cases (again a Canadian with French and English language) and a DS droid and Boba Fett action figure in nice condition.

DS_Canadian.jpg

DS-Canadian-b.jpg

The internet exists to give folks a place to whine, complain, bicker, argue endlessly, rub others’ noses in their precious notions, call out others, embarrass others, & especially this:

1) voice outrage;

2) proclaim ethical superiority.

meh. You know nothing of the internets.

The internet exists to give folks a place to whine, complain, bicker, argue endlessly, rub others’ noses in their precious notions, call out others, embarrass others, & especially this:

1) voice outrage;

I lost the user manual.

1) voice outrage;

I lost the user manual.

jeppesen-cr-computer-manual-workbook-bw-2-b.jpg

My Craigslist / Garage Sale drought has ended...

harvest aplenty...

(all from one seller, for one great price)

Y The Last Man 1 - 10

6454677079_aa2fa389b4_z.jpg

Y The Last Man 11 - 20

6454677147_1001be6386_z.jpg

Y The Last Man 21 - 29

6454677217_c74dff7ac8_z.jpg

Y The Last Man 31 - 37 (plus NYX 3)

6454677297_22c8d54093_z.jpg

Looks like I will be sending something in for the Image Con after all...

YTLM 1 - 3 will be on their way to joeypost shortly...

I purchased a huge collection of comics yesterday that was listed on Craigslist. I originally thought they were mostly Silver and Bronze books, but when I got there I realized they were mostly Bronze, Copper and Modern books. There's a lot of drek and multiples, but I went ahead and bought them anyway. There were some nice books in there though:

1) San Diego Comicon Comics #2

2) Batman #244 (lower grade)

3) Batman #251 (lower grade)

4) ASM Annuals #4 thru 12

5) ROM #75 (last issue)

6) Marvel Spotlight #32 (1st Spider-Woman)

7) X-Factor #6 (1st Apocalypse)

8) DC Comics Presents #26 (1st New Teen Titans)

If you're looking for cheap filler copies for any Copper or Modern Age titles let me know via PM. There's a ton of the Marvel and DC offshoot titles in there along with a bunch of Image, Marvel Epic and Valiant books as well. Most of the books will be 50 cents each.

I purchased a huge collection of comics yesterday that was listed on Craigslist. I originally thought they were mostly Silver and Bronze books, but when I got there I realized they were mostly Bronze, Copper and Modern books. There's a lot of drek and multiples, but I went ahead and bought them anyway. There were some nice books in there though:

1) San Diego Comicon Comics #2

2) Batman #244 (lower grade)

3) Batman #251 (lower grade)

4) ASM Annuals #4 thru 12

5) ROM #75 (last issue)

6) Marvel Spotlight #32 (1st Spider-Woman)

7) X-Factor #6 (1st Apocalypse)

8) DC Comics Presents #26 (1st New Teen Titans)

If you're looking for cheap filler copies for any Copper or Modern Age titles let me know via PM. There's a ton of the Marvel and DC offshoot titles in there along with a bunch of Image, Marvel Epic and Valiant books as well. Most of the books will be 50 cents each.

Make that 9 copies of ROM #75. Just found 8 more. :)

Found these at a flea market a couple of weeks ago for $2.50 each. The 131, is at least a 9.4 to 9.6 (with a chance at 9.8), and the 168 would be the same if not for a tiny tear on the back. Its probably 9.0 to 9.2 in its current condition. Still not bad for $5 total.

DSC04222.jpg

I was at the River Market Flea in Kansas City yesterday with my girl friend and showed her a comic spinner rack with the "Hey Kids Comics" topper filled with comics in a booth. I knew the rack wasn't sell because a friend of mine has made offers on it before but the booth owner would not sell. So a little bit later we were looking in a booth filled with old Coke items, old displays and signs, when my girlfriend told me to look at this and pointed to corner and behind a sign was another comic spinner rack. I found the price tag and then began to inspect it, the topper was in good shape (and it was the same as the 5 sided topper that I currently have and that is how my girlfriend know what it was) but the rack had been repainted red instead of black (but it was a decent job). We finished looking through all 3 levels and the basement, when I made my way to the front desk to see if they could could contact the booth owner with an offer. They finally were able to contact him and he accepted my offer. The next hurdle was to figure out how to fit it in a Dodge Charger.

119769.jpg.6b740698aed64bf088bbe5fbde74e3ec.jpg

Edited by pink181

This whole AF 15 find makes me laugh

I am glad so many of you would'nt take advantage of the seller, becasue the truth is most of us will never be in this position to find anything of such value just lying around someones garage.

So its easy to say your would have offered him fair compensation and told him how much it was worth. people have a made it a business of going to yard sales buying stuff cheap and then reselling it for more.

So being stared in the face with an expensive item going for pennies is a dream for most "pickers" Which is the whole point for most yard sale veterans

I highly doubt most collectors would'nt take the AF 15 for 30 bucks and run away as fast as you could.

Has anyone considered this? .....What if the buyer said 30 bucks is not enough let me give you $100, $500 or $1000 don't you think the light bulb would go off in the sellers head and he would'nt sell it.

I think you can say what you want right or wrong. Its not a life or death decision. The error here was telling anyone about it. Not paying 30 bucks

This happened to a friend of mine who ran a card/comic shop 20 years ago. Guy comes in with a stack of Ted Williams RCs and says "how much will you pay me for them." Friend really wants them, doesn't want to pizz guy off, and makes a half decent offer for them (which was unusual for my friend who usually tried to rob people)...whatever it was ($500 or something), apparently based on the look on the guys face who thought he had a bunch of $5 cards or something, this was like 50-100X what he was expecting and immediately realized he had a goldmine in his hands and walked out of the store. never again did my friend not first try to rob the person trying to sell to him to see if he knew what he had.