• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Uh oh. :eek: Get ready for the "your friend is a gypsy, tramp and thief" boo-birds.

Oh well, despite what everyone here will say, if they were in the same position they would have done the same. Just like all of the boardies that chastised Chuck for the Mile High collection and saying they would have paid more, set up a scholarship in Church's name, etc., if they were in the same position they would have done the same thing.

My friend did know the value of the book and was thrilled as he did not expect to ever be able to buy a copy of AF #15 (he likes his books to be VF or better). I am happy for him on this find.

FWIW, I told my friend he made a mistake offering so much for just a few books as the owner might now take a look into the value of what is left. If it were me, I would have offered the owner $20 for both boxes of books after checking them all out and snagged everything. :idea:

I also teased him that if there was an AF #15 in that shape he might have missed out a Hulk #1 and FF #1 in similar condition by not looking through the rest of the last stack. lol

Ryan,

Once your friend was asked, what do you think they are worth, I would absolutely not have told or offered $30. If he knew the value of the item, and offered low, it is absolutely a fleecing and 100% wrong. It's nice he got an AF 15, but it certainly was completely and thoroughly dishonest. If he didn't have the money, he could have gone back and gotten more. This is different than a seller stickering a book at a certain price and you paying the low price. The seller asked your friend and essentially, he lied.

I think there is failure on both sides of the coin. Lack of due diligence on the sellers part. Shiftiness and base greed on the buyers part. It was misrepresentation on the buyers part though that makes this particularly egregious.

Unless I missed something:

Seller has a rare book. Seller doesn't want it (doesn't appreciate it's value) and sells it cheap. Buyer accepts the price. Buyer got a good deal.

I feel like he doesn't have any obligation to go back and pay him more. It would just be a really good thing to do.

Unless I missed something:

Seller has a rare book. Seller doesn't want it (doesn't appreciate it's value) and sells it cheap. Buyer accepts the price. Buyer got a good deal.

I feel like he doesn't have any obligation to go back and pay him more. It would just be a really good thing to do.

If he sells it, sure.

What if it's his only chance of owning an AF 15. I would take it. I might toss a few extra bucks there way.

Seller beware.

He did nothing wrong. Seller should have done his research before selling.

The way I look at it is like this - if the Indians on Manhattan Island were willing to sell the island for $24 worth of beads and trinkets in 1626 to the Dutch, if this guy was willing to accept $30 for an AF #15 then so be it.

The way I look at it is like this - if the Indians on Manhattan Island were willing to sell the island for $24 worth of beads and trinkets in 1626 to the Dutch, if this guy was willing to accept $30 for an AF #15 then so be it.

Myth-

It was some other Indians who didn't have any claim on the island and where just passing by that "sold" it to the clueless white boys.

I disagree, and agree with Brian (Foolkiller). Seller asked "what is it worth" essentially, and was lied to.

At some point there will be a "clarification" of the story that the old man actually said "how much will you give me for them?" rather than asking what they were worth.

I see both sides of this one.

But, I fall more on the side with the buyer rather than the seller.

He had $30 on him & this may have been the only opportunity in his lifetime to be able to afford a copy of AF #15. What was he supposed to do, walk away from it?

Yeah, the altruistic side of me may have liked to have told the seller exactly what he had & made him richer, but unless I witnessed him living in poverty or heard of the sale's proceeds going toward stopping a foreclosure on his home or some such other life altering thing, I wouldn't have.

It's fairly common knowledge in this day & age that old comic books have value & it's very easy to do the minimal amount of research needed to gain knowledge about the value of AF #15. So...

This whole AF 15 find makes me laugh

I am glad so many of you would'nt take advantage of the seller, becasue the truth is most of us will never be in this position to find anything of such value just lying around someones garage.

So its easy to say your would have offered him fair compensation and told him how much it was worth. people have a made it a business of going to yard sales buying stuff cheap and then reselling it for more.

So being stared in the face with an expensive item going for pennies is a dream for most "pickers" Which is the whole point for most yard sale veterans

I highly doubt most collectors would'nt take the AF 15 for 30 bucks and run away as fast as you could.

Has anyone considered this? .....What if the buyer said 30 bucks is not enough let me give you $100, $500 or $1000 don't you think the light bulb would go off in the sellers head and he would'nt sell it.

I think you can say what you want right or wrong. Its not a life or death decision. The error here was telling anyone about it. Not paying 30 bucks

The internet exists to give folks a place to whine, complain, bicker, argue endlessly, rub others’ noses in their precious notions, call out others, embarrass others, & especially this:

1) voice outrage;

2) proclaim ethical superiority.

How many times on here have people said words to the effect of; "a comic is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it"? Well on this occasion a buyer was prepared to pay $30 for it.

An offer was made and accepted.

Also, in this age of Google and instant information, the seller should have done his due diligence and typed the 16 characters necessary into a search engine to discover what he had. He could'nt be bothered so he lost out. That's life.

Doesn't sound as if the seller asked for more and the buyer beat him down.

The ethics police on this one are beating a dead horse. Move on.

Well done to the buyer. 2c

Edited by Whizzer

Back when I sold toys much of my stock came from Friday garage sales and area auctions.

I use to turn down Transformers at $1-2 a piece. :cry:

Anyway, I use to find some great deals on items mostly by just telling the people why I was looking for. Smeone brought an AT-AT out of a bedroom for me once complete with chin guns and when I asked how much they wanted, they said $5

I sold it the next day for $150

Rarely did I ever offer a price up unless something was marked and then I might of offered less.

I was the master of digging through the boxes of toy parts and finding those small rare pieces that were always missing from items and usually would only pay a quarter for them or sometimes they were just given to me. The value difference for those small missing items was tremendous.

For example, the chin guns on the AT-AT made the price difference of about $75-100 on it.

The medallion for the 12" Han Solo doll made about a $200 difference at the time. Really more if you factor in the fact that most people want a complete one and one that isnt complete will just sit forever.

Went to three different garage sales this morning that advertised they had comics (via craigslist).

Got these all from the first stop.

$1 a piece.

6315175654_b69f3edaf6_z.jpg

Quick question:

At the second location the person had priced all their collectibles (comics, NES carts and trading cards) 10% over completed eBay auctions (smartphones rule!).

Has anyone else seen this at a garage sale before?