• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, littledoom said:

I went garage saling early Saturday  morning. I picked up some “mega” Marvel silver age keys. (Posted in SA). After that I hit up a couple shops in the area. While picking up some hot Moon Knight books two brothers brought in their recently deceased father’s collection. Long story short I waited for them outside after paying for my books. They passed on the $250 offer from the store employee. I offered $300 but one of the brothers was very adamant it’s either $350 or they’ll keep em. We bonded over both having lost our fathers, so I paid them the money. These are the highlights that also came with a few oddities 

53C3E140-5F3F-400C-8151-C581B95E2862.thumb.jpeg.6ad4dc7b52197e6f8ae7bfb34df2dfae.jpeg

51390E89-7575-471E-9F27-B4EC31153BAB.thumb.jpeg.729e3419cfb44ba3e5a3402e0d2ecb40.jpeg

Great pickup.  And good point about sometimes you have to just pay up to a seller's asking price.  I missed out on a great collection because I was $200 apart - $3200 versus $3000, which was ridiculous!  I was a bit swamped with comics at the time, but I should have just paid up for it because it was a solid collection. 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, FlyingDonut said:

So you were going to around over $50? You'll double your money on the top row. Stores are stupid.

There's a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed store owner here that really low balls the %(&@ out of people....a few years back a guy brought 11 short boxes of his collection and the lazy fat store owner wouldn't even come outside to take a look!  The collection was mostly indies, but there was a run of Spawn 1-100 in NM shape, among other books...at the time Spawn wasn't worth anywhere where it is now, but it was still a decent buy.

That same store owner faced tax penalties by the government, and one of their employees started a go fund me campaign in which the store received thousands in donations!  Community community was livid!

On 1/24/2022 at 8:46 AM, 1Cool said:

It really depends on how much I spent on them and how much room I have in the shelves.  Last year was a very good year so I cleared out some space so I'm cool with putting the X-Factor 1s in new bags/boards and selling them off a handful a month.  The long box of Avengers Annual 10s I got from the same guy was much more expensive so I sold off the worst 100 to a dealer in CA for about what I spent on the long box since I wanted to get back my money since it was a couple thousand dollars.  The rest are sitting in storage and I sell off couple here or there - I don't see a need to be in a hurry at this point.  The X-Factor 1s were about $1 a piece so I'm not too worried about sitting on the $200 in inventory and seeing if something causes it to further spike.  I do have to say your thought process has impacted my offer for the entire collection since what am I going to do with 100 copies of Rom 24 or 200 copies of X-Men Annual 5?  There does come a time when the books have to be basically free even though the books are not complete drek since there is just too many of them to sell anyway quickly.

I'm more of a less clutter/inventory turnover type.  I'm actually about to dump full runs of comics for a buck a piece, because I'd rather move bulk out and clear inventory/capital and then focus on higher dollar items.  I would probably be the one to dump those X-factor 1s for a buck a piece, than to purchase it.  I've read comments on here of some of the guys with multiple books of a book that gets hot and they're unable to capture that opportunity because their books are so cluttered.  I think everyone should be able to retrieve a comic within 60 seconds, and if you can't, then you have to really figure out if your disorganized, or simple overwhelmed, and if that is hurting your ability to be more productive.  

On 1/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, spreads said:

I'm more of a less clutter/inventory turnover type.  I'm actually about to dump full runs of comics for a buck a piece, because I'd rather move bulk out and clear inventory/capital and then focus on higher dollar items.  I would probably be the one to dump those X-factor 1s for a buck a piece, than to purchase it.  I've read comments on here of some of the guys with multiple books of a book that gets hot and they're unable to capture that opportunity because their books are so cluttered.  I think everyone should be able to retrieve a comic within 60 seconds, and if you can't, then you have to really figure out if your disorganized, or simple overwhelmed, and if that is hurting your ability to be more productive.  

I sold a longbox filled with nothing but 80s DC limited mini series complete sets for $250 on CL. Sold within hours. No questions asked. I like bulking stuff out. And we’re talking Millennium, Spellbound, Deadshot those types of minis 

Edited by littledoom

On 1/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, spreads said:

I’m with you. At this point, I can’t imagine dealing with 100 copies of a common book like X-Factor #1. I would much rather have one nice GA book. Easier to store and easier to sell if I want to.

I am more than content to let the younger, local flippers score all the mass produced copper to modern books at garage sales. Too much work and hassle for such little reward…

On 1/25/2022 at 11:12 AM, spreads said:

Everybody is different which makes it all win / win.  I've never had much problem finding hot books in my comic storage area in a timely manner and the instances where a book pops suddenly (Spiderman 2099 #1 and ASM 365 come to mind) it's always nice to have dozens on hand rather than a couple copies.  There does come a point when the clutter outweighs the benefits but in terms of buying books like X-Factor 1s in bulk I'm good with the $1 price point (especially since I've sold quite a few lately for $10 a piece).  What series are you thinking about selling - I'm your huckleberry!

Edited by 1Cool

On 1/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, littledoom said:

I went garage saling early Saturday  morning. I picked up some “mega” Marvel silver age keys. (Posted in SA). After that I hit up a couple shops in the area. While picking up some hot Moon Knight books two brothers brought in their recently deceased father’s collection. Long story short I waited for them outside after paying for my books. They passed on the $250 offer from the store employee. I offered $300 but one of the brothers was very adamant it’s either $350 or they’ll keep em. We bonded over both having lost our fathers, so I paid them the money. These are the highlights that also came with a few oddities 

53C3E140-5F3F-400C-8151-C581B95E2862.thumb.jpeg.6ad4dc7b52197e6f8ae7bfb34df2dfae.jpeg

51390E89-7575-471E-9F27-B4EC31153BAB.thumb.jpeg.729e3419cfb44ba3e5a3402e0d2ecb40.jpeg

First Glob = Grand Slam!

On 1/25/2022 at 11:35 AM, littledoom said:

I sold a longbox filled with nothing but 80s DC limited mini series complete sets for $250 on CL. Sold within hours. No questions asked. I like bulking stuff out. And we’re talking Millennium, Spellbound, Deadshot those types of minis 

$250 is bulking it out? lol

Good sale.

On 1/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, Craig Collins said:

I have been looking at these comics for a year at my local antique mall.  They sat, and today I came in and the owner of the books was working the counter.  He asked for an offer because he was tired of them sitting in his case.  I was reluctant to give an offer because it was so much lower than what he was asking.  He pressed, I said 150 for the whole stack, he said    Deal..    They are Fair to Good, but love some more Silver Age Marvel!   I guess a year of persistence paid off. 

comics.jpg

Uhm holy :whatthe: I’ll give you double! Good stuff like that doesn’t last long where I’m at! 

On 1/26/2022 at 5:20 AM, spreads said:

$250 is bulking it out? lol

Good sale.

It was about 50 diff complete sets.. if it was random fodder I’d be content with $150-200 for a longbox full of 300 books. The comic market on the low end is hot. Customers are more than willing to buy stacks of comics for $2 each at cons I’ve worked at. 

On 1/26/2022 at 4:28 PM, littledoom said:

It was about 50 diff complete sets.. if it was random fodder I’d be content with $150-200 for a longbox full of 300 books. The comic market on the low end is hot. Customers are more than willing to buy stacks of comics for $2 each at cons I’ve worked at. 

I dumped 5 complete sets of longs for $750 - CAD, they were NM/NM+, marked, labelled etc....perfect for shows.  The pawn shop ironically gave me the best offer, some dealer wanted a payment plan.  I'm like wtf, you can't rub 1k together??

On 1/26/2022 at 10:19 PM, spreads said:

I dumped 5 complete sets of longs for $750 - CAD, they were NM/NM+, marked, labelled etc....perfect for shows.  The pawn shop ironically gave me the best offer, some dealer wanted a payment plan.  I'm like wtf, you can't rub 1k together??

Probably not.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:08 PM, littledoom said:

Went to a garage sale yesterday morning of a guy who used to own a store. These are some of the comics I got among many toys and media. Shoulda bought more

CBF7C946-5D90-47E6-BE35-304AFB7A8C4B.thumb.jpeg.56fbaebc19a7847917595570c3a49ff9.jpeg

Jeez how far do you travel to find these awesome garage sales? Every one I go to just has boxes of CDs, old clothes and very used presswood furniture. 

On 1/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, jcjames said:

Jeez how far do you travel to find these awesome garage sales? Every one I go to just has boxes of CDs, old clothes and very used presswood furniture. 

It’s not always like this. December and January are good sales months because everyone’s decluttering junk they’ve been holding for years. It’ll settle and dry up pretty soon 

On 1/27/2022 at 8:22 AM, Craig Collins said:

I have been looking at these comics for a year at my local antique mall.  They sat, and today I came in and the owner of the books was working the counter.  He asked for an offer because he was tired of them sitting in his case.  I was reluctant to give an offer because it was so much lower than what he was asking.  He pressed, I said 150 for the whole stack, he said    Deal..    They are Fair to Good, but love some more Silver Age Marvel!   I guess a year of persistence paid off. 

comics.jpg

These sat in full view for a year and nobody offered more than $150?

Where do you live - Northern Alaska or something?

Result!

On 1/30/2022 at 3:15 PM, jcjames said:

11 copies of X-Men 4, how many copies of X-Men 1 did this person have - 100?  lol   

On 1/31/2022 at 8:34 AM, spreads said:

11 copies of X-Men 4, how many copies of X-Men 1 did this person have - 100?  lol   

Fun fact - X-Men 244 was the first X-Men issue I ever read. Got it in 1989 in a multipack at Woolworth's.

Hated Jubilee, but it was a fun story - chasing down a newly discovered teenage mutant at the mall.