• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kansas City cgc 8.0 Action 1

820 posts in this topic

I don't get the basis for the $1,000,000+ predictions.

At this point, we know that (1) only one bidder was willing and able to pay more than $315,000 for a really nice (6.0) Action 1, and (2) only one bidder is (so far) willing and able to pay more than $418,000 for a really nice (8.0) D27.

What evidence do we have that there are bidders who are willing and able to pay more than $1 million for an 8.0 Action 1? So far, there is no evidence any comic collectors are willing to pay more than $500K for abook.

$1 million would be about 1/20th of Heritage's total comic and comic art sales for a year.

One could also look at it a different way and say that there's no evidence anybody was willing to pay more money for those two particular books.

That 6.0 Action 1 is not the same book as this 8.0. You can't exclude the possibility that somebody out there with cash and knowledge of what's out there simply wasn't ready to pull the trigger on those particular copies, instead waiting and hoping for a moment like this. You're assuming that ALL of the people who could potentially afford/want either of those books actually bid on them. That's a pretty big assumption.

At this point, we know that (1) only one bidder was willing and able to pay more than $315,000 for a really nice (6.0) Action 1, and (2) only one bidder is (so far) willing and able to pay more than $418,000 for a really nice (8.0) D27.

What evidence do we have that there are bidders who are willing and able to pay more than $1 million for an 8.0 Action 1? So far, there is no evidence any comic collectors are willing to pay more than $500K for abook.

$1 million would be about 1/20th of Heritage's total comic and comic art sales for a year.

One could also look at it a different way and say that there's no evidence anybody was willing to pay more money for those two particular books.

That 6.0 Action 1 is not the same book as this 8.0. You can't exclude the possibility that somebody out there with cash and knowledge of what's out there simply wasn't ready to pull the trigger on those particular copies, instead waiting and hoping for a moment like this. You're assuming that ALL of the people who could potentially afford/want either of those books actually bid on them. That's a pretty big assumption.

Its a point !

I'm torn on this one. I agree with the above argument - is an 8.0 worth 3X more than a 6.0? And this will be the 5th nicest copy (the 8.5, the Larson, the Church, and the other rumored copy). If you're an investor, is that something you want to dump $1M into? That type of money is generally reserved for the best of the best - i.e. the Church Action 1 and the AT 'Tec 27. And let's be honest here, this book isn't going to a "collector".

But then again this is a pedigreed 8.0 Action 1. If any book has a shot, it's this one.

The bear in me says $600-700K tops. But I'd point out that is a LOT of scratch for a comic book and if it hits that I'd consider it a whopping success. Double the previous high (although it looks like the 8.0 Tec 27 will top that soon).

i think the mile high action 1 is THE book to wait and hope for. but this one would fill that spot until that day came.

Folks...let me clear up some confusion....

The book is NOT being auctioned...Stephen is going to put it up for sale on the cc site...first come first serve...

My question must not have been clear...what do you think he will price at?

If it were me...I would start it at a cool million and go from there (sell it or take best offer)

All I'm assuming is that the market has a capacity limit. To try and figure out what that limit is, I'm just looking at the prices paid (and pending bids).

The reports of offers for the Mile High Action 1 aren't really indicative of anything because (1) that copy is the pinnacle (a 6.0 isn't an 8.0, but an 8.0 isn't close to a 9.4/9.6), and (2) who knows how serious those offers were? It's all talk until payment is made.

I just think there's a big difference between the prices that collectors have paid so far, even reputedly very wealthy collectors like ER, which are with almost all below $300K, and $1 million+.

i think the mile high action 1 is THE book to wait and hope for. but this one would fill that spot until that day came.

I agree. Without knowing how many potential buyers are out there we really don't konw anything. But I would venture to guess that there's at least 1 dude (or gal :) ) out there that has the scratch and has simply been waiting for the moment to obtain not a 3.0 or 2.5 or a 6.0 with cream pages, rather they have been waiting to snag a truly remarkable copy. I'd say this qualifies as that opportunity. Perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity.

With that said , you think we may never know the selling price than?

Since Metro and Comic Connect report sales to GPA wouldn't they be obligated to report a number if an actual sale occurs?

The book is NOT being auctioned...Stephen is going to put it up for sale on the cc site...first come first serve...

If it were me...I would start it at a cool million and go from there (sell it or take best offer)

Probably the best course of action.

Although, I'm surprised this book doesn't get the auction treatment. Even with a BIN price, you run the risk of leaving money on the table. If this book is going up for public sale, metro/cc must have a very strong inkling there are ready willing and able buyers for the book.

With that said , you think we may never know the selling price than?

Since Metro and Comic Connect report sales to GPA wouldn't they be obligated to report a number if an actual sale occurs?

Ethics and obligations have never gotten in their way before.

All I'm assuming is that the market has a capacity limit. To try and figure out what that limit is, I'm just looking at the prices paid (and pending bids).

The reports of offers for the Mile High Action 1 aren't really indicative of anything because (1) that copy is the pinnacle (a 6.0 isn't an 8.0, but an 8.0 isn't close to a 9.4/9.6), and (2) who knows how serious those offers were? It's all talk until payment is made.

I just think there's a big difference between the prices that collectors have paid so far, even reputedly very wealthy collectors like ER, which are with almost all below $300K, and $1 million+.

I hear what you're saying. I just think that it's impossible to even begin to calculate what that limit is. There's just too many unknown variables. Without knowing how many potential buyers are out there and without knowing which particular copy they are bidding on or waiting, fingers crossed that will hit the market...I just think there's no way to gauge what the ceiling is.

Just b/c somebody with deep pockets didn't bid $400k on a particular copy of a book, it does not automatically exclude them from bidding $1,000,000 on another copy of that book. We don't know if that person(s) is out there. We can just guess that he is. I hope that person is out there. It would be amazing to see.

I'm guessing he'll offer it for 1.1M.

Although, I'm surprised this book doesn't get the auction treatment. Even with a BIN price, you run the risk of leaving money on the table. If this book is going up for public sale, metro/cc must have a very strong inkling there are ready willing and able buyers for the book.

I don't get it.

Why not auction the book, especially if you run an auction site?

The only answers I can think of to that question are all bad. Admitedly, I'm coming across as a total cynic the past few weeks, but all I can think of is:

(1) They want the book to go to a specific buyer, perhaps even someone who has paid an option price, but want to generate a lot of publicity by creating the illusion of a race to purchase (of course, if there really were a race to purchase, they should auction because then that competition would increase the price of the book); and/or

(2) They want to offer the book at a price that is higher than they actually will be able to sell it for, and perhaps not disclose the final purchase price, to create upward pricing pressure.

If folks have better or more positive answers, please let me know.

I hear what you're saying. I just think that it's impossible to even begin to calculate what that limit is. There's just too many unknown variables. Without knowing how many potential buyers are out there and without knowing which particular copy they are bidding on or waiting, fingers crossed that will hit the market...I just think there's no way to gauge what the ceiling is.

Just b/c somebody with deep pockets didn't bid $400k on a particular copy of a book, it does not automatically exclude them from bidding $1,000,000 on another copy of that book. We don't know if that person(s) is out there. We can just guess that he is. I hope that person is out there. It would be amazing to see.

I completely agree with everything you state. Still, I'm trying to make a realistic guess, and I haven't seen anything to make me think that $1 million+ is realistic.

I don't get it.

Why not auction the book, especially if you run an auction site?

The only answers I can think of to that question are all bad. Admitedly, I'm coming across as a total cynic the past few weeks, but all I can think of is:

(1) They want the book to go to a specific buyer, perhaps even someone who has paid an option price, but want to generate a lot of publicity by creating the illusion of a race to purchase (of course, if there really were a race to purchase, they should auction because then that competition would increase the price of the book); and/or

(2) They want to offer the book at a price that is higher than they actually will be able to sell it for, and perhaps not disclose the final purchase price, to create upward pricing pressure.

If folks have better or more positive answers, please let me know.

The only surprise to me is that the book is being listed on CC rather than on Metro's site, where it's standard practice for them to list a book at the price that they want, and wait for a buyer willing to cough up that amount, even if it takes months or years. I think of CC as their auction arm.

Personally to me If I were the dealer I would want to sell it to E.R for two reasons.He can afford the Big Ticket price [but so can a few other guys] but what would clinch it for me is I would ask him [as part of the deal] to let me auction off his 6.5 copy [his undercopy]...I would get the record price out of it and 2 huge sales probably cementing my reputation as the Big auction house guy.Only Eric can offer them this and im sure he wants this book...Just my opinion.

Personally to me If I were the dealer I would want to sell it to E.R for two reasons.He can afford the Big Ticket price [but so can a few other guys] but what would clinch it for me is I would ask him [as part of the deal] to let me auction off his 6.5 copy [his undercopy]...I would get the record price out of it and 2 huge sales probably cementing my reputation as the Big auction house guy.Only Eric can offer them this and im sure he wants this book...Just my opinion.

:baiting: Don't you have a 6.5 copy also? Why would the same tactic not apply to you?