• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

Tim,

If the JLA#33 was your "found money" book because you couldn't recall buying it - you must've been buying WAAAAY too many books at that time! lol

I'm honestly still scratching my head about that one. My memory is generally pretty good about acquisitions, and I genuinely have no memory of ever buying it! When I pulled out my box of JLAs to pack them up for shipment, I was literally like ???:o when I came across it. I then spent a while poring through old records, invoices, etc. trying to figure out when and who I bought it from. Even when I found a receipt, I was still like ???

My worse was finding a box of slabs that I had completely forgotten that I owned. :blush:

Forgot you had? What was in them? Were they empty?

:o

It was a box of slabbed books and in a few cases they were books I was looking for as I knew I had purchased them but in others I didn't remember about them until I opened the box.

It was all just GA pedigrees. Nothing important. :insane:

Just realized I skipped 2 later JLAs that I sold to our own Rick Kent. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

The #78 was purchased off eBay from Vincent Wong/tkg2627 back in early 2002, while the #54 was purchased raw from Bob Storm in the pre-CGC days.

JLA78.jpg

JLA54.jpg

Just realized I skipped 2 later JLAs that I sold to our own Rick Kent. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

JLA78.jpg

JLA54.jpg

.....same Bat time, same Bat channel ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.....same Bat time, same Bat channel ?

Indeed.

Leading off today is a really underrated issue, #25. Even I tend to underrate it as I always forget to list it among the tougher books to find in NM. It almost never comes up in NM, so I was delighted when I was able to win it at a very reasonable price on Heritage in 2007.

jla25.jpg

#21, on the other hand, is most definitely not underrated. A real fan favorite, and why not, since it's the first JSA cross-over, kicking off what would consistently be the most popular JLA storylines during the 1960s. This book is a real key, and the only reason it doesn't go for a lot more is that there are a ton of NM and thereabouts copies out there. Surprisingly as of this date not a single copy in 9.6 or higher, not even the PC copy. This is one of the other few slabbed books I purchased from Bob Storm, all the way back in 2002. I remember talking to him as he was about to leave the house to go to work--maybe I got a relatively good deal because he was trying to get rid of me!

jla21.jpg

JLA54.jpg

.....same Bat time, same Bat channel ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Green River copy?

Green River copy?

Dunno, never identified it as such and the date stamp seems to be of a different color than the GR books I've seen, which tend to be reddish.

Hue was hard to tell from the scan -- if it doesn't match what you had seen on other GRs then it's safe to think it isn't.

Green River copy?

Dunno, never identified it as such and the date stamp seems to be of a different color than the GR books I've seen, which tend to be reddish.

Hue was hard to tell from the scan -- if it doesn't match what you had seen on other GRs then it's safe to think it isn't.

the "M" doesn't look right either.

Tim,

What made you hold on to the #22 for so long? Was it because it was a key issue? Never thought of going to auction with it in the past couple of years?

I've never owned a #22. Which is one of the most difficult issues to find in NM.

One weird thing is that with the early JSA cross-overs, which ran over 2 issues (#21 and #22, and #29 and #30), one half is fairly easy to find in high grade (#21 and #30) and the other half is extremely hard to find in high grade (#22 and #29).

Green River copy?

the "M" doesn't look right either.

I also don't believe the JLA#54 to be a GR.

1. Although the collection manifest lists one copy of JLA#54, it was originally graded by Craig Beles as a VF and then by Hauser & Haack as VF/NM.

2. The stamp font type is inconsistent with the stamper used by the pharmacy (University United Drug).

3. The stamp on the JLA#54 includes the year (1967). Authentic GRs do not include the year as part of the stamp post 1966.

2c

The #78 was purchased off eBay from Vincent Wong/tkg2627 back in early 2002, while the #54 was purchased raw from Bob Storm in the pre-CGC days.

Uh Tim, I don't know how to say this....but the only reason I bought your #54 was because I thought it was a GR. You know how I swoon over the peds! But now that I know it's just a lowly non-descript random filler that's an embarrassment to the rest of my set, could you take it back? Please?!

Rick

:boo:

Oops! Sorry, I meant the #21.

I did sell the #21 along with most of the rest of my JLAs on Heritage. However, I knew who the buyer was, as the buyer had bought some of the books I had sold on Heritage previously, and when the buyer needed to raise some cash, I ended up buying back a few of the books, including the JLA #21 and the Western Penn B&B 34. And now the #21 is with you! :applause:

Although I have managed to acquire a #22 in a 9.4

(worship)

Uh Tim, I don't know how to say this....but the only reason I bought your #54 was because I thought it was a GR. You know how I swoon over the peds! But now that I know it's just a lowly non-descript random filler that's an embarrassment to the rest of my set, could you take it back? Please?!

Rick

:boo:

No refunds of CGC`d books. :sumo: