• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

Grading on my recent submission was MUCH tighter.....I don't mind a gift grade every now and then, but I'd rather have a happy customer if the need to sell arises. It's hard to believe this thread has already broken 50 pages....and I'm talking good, informative, pages. You should reward yourself, Tim, with that AWESOME Hawkman / Shadow Thief page from B&B 36 that Heritage has up now. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yep CGC was super strict on PQ in that first year.

Bet ya it's CR-OW or better on resubmit. (thumbs u

Last war book, before we resume with the JLAs.

OAW #117 is one of the few early OAWs in 9.4 that I ever saw appear in an auction. Purchased in 2003 on Heritage, it remained the only 9.4 in the Census until the Savannah copy was graded. I love the orange-red background.

OAW117-1.jpg

the keith marlow collection on heritage is just ridiculous. They will bring some monster #s

It will be interesting to see whether the numbers are that monstrous, or whether it was really Keith that was distorting prices in recent years with his buying.

That will indeed be interesting. I was never much on the war books as a kid because I thought they dealt with "ancient" history, but I've acquired a real appreciation for them over the past ten years or so.

:cool:

Penultimate post...

Only the 2nd 9.2 that I've posted in this thread. Purchased as a raw "NM" from Comiclink back in 1997 or 1998 for the princely sum of $8000, which was a huge amount back then. However, it was the first NM JLA 1 that I'd ever seen publicly offered for sale so I jumped on it. And indeed the book was a solid NM, in my opinion, so I was pretty disappointed when CGC only gave it a 9.2.

Jump forward to 2004 and I needed to be able to raise funds to make a big acquisition on Heritage, so I consigned this book and the 9.2 JLA #7 and the 9.4 Hawkman #2 that I've posted previously in this thread to the same Heritage auction (yes, I was amazingly confident that I would win the book I was after), plus sold the fugly 9.4 JLA #2 in a private deal. As it turned out, this book ended up selling for what I think is still a record $27,600 for a 9.2 copy, which was great because the only benchmark was a 9.2 sale by Bob Storm a year or so earlier for around $12-14K (if memory serves).

I later found out that Josh Nathanson and Steve Lauterbach were the winners--I guess they could see the "potential" for this book, although in my opinion nothing needed to be done to it for it to deserve a 9.4 grade. Some time later this book appeared in a 9.4 slab on Comiclink's site, along with a 9.4 Flash 105 (blue label notwithstanding that it had been cleaned) that had been sold as a 9.2 in the same Heritage auction by Robert Roter. One thing you have to say about Lauterbach, he's got serious stones, because he didn't have the slightest compunction about offering the 9.4 JLA #1 to me... for $50K! JP eventually bought the JLA 1 and Flash 105 for a reported $100K, and then ended up dumping both a year later or so at a big loss on Heritage. No idea who owns this copy today.

JLA_1_bottom.jpg

Tim, you've probably said this before, but, are you out of buying?

I still bid on lots of SA DCs, but unless something really slips through the cracks price-wise, I'm unlikely to win anything.

Update: how's this for timing and a perfect example, I just realized I won this beauty on Heritage for a price that's less than half of what it sold for on Heritage back in 2005. I never dreamed I would win this book with my barrel-scraping bid. :banana:

seadevils9.jpg

Tim, you've probably said this before, but, are you out of buying?

I still bid on lots of SA DCs, but unless something really slips through the cracks price-wise, I'm unlikely to win anything.

Update: how's this for timing and a perfect example, I just realized I won this beauty on Heritage for a price that's less than half of what it sold for on Heritage back in 2005. I never dreamed I would win this book with my barrel-scraping bid. :banana:

seadevils9.jpg

Thats actually a pretty sick cover.

NIce JLA 1, still waiting for the BIG BOY BB 28 9.4

Okay, ask and ye shall receive.

The final "official" post of this thread. Thanks to everyone for their kind comments throughout this thread, it was a blast to be able to share my memories and thoughts about the various books I've owned through the years.

So flash back to 2004, when I literally fell out of chair when I realized that this book was going to be in the Heritage auction. Lots of excited discussion with fellow JLA afficionado Acesilver ensued, first to check whether he was going to go after it (he wasn't, it was out of his price range) and then whether he wanted to buy any of my JLAs to help me raise the necessary funds (he passed on the 9.2 JLA #1, thankfully, as I offered it to him for only $15K, but agreed to buy the 9.4 JLA #2 (fugliness notwithstanding). Then a call to Ed Jaster to see if I could get some background info on the B&B 28, possibility of consigning the JLA #1 and logistics. Ed's guess was that the B&B 28 would go for around $30K, a sentiment expressed to me by several other dealers that I spoke with over the next few weeks.

I then hired Josh Nathanson to bid live for me, as the live auction would've fallen around 3 am or so for me, and I didn't want to rely on an internet bid. Plus, it would take him out as a potential competitor. We agreed on the max bid amount, and as a way of removing any incentives for him to somehow cause the price of the book to go up, our deal was that he would get a higher percentage if the book ended up being purchased for less than a certain price, and a lower percentage if the book ended up going for over that price. We used this arrangement previously when the 9.4 GL #1 and a bunch of other GLs went up on Heritage, and it worked very well because the prices ended up being far below what I was willing to pay, so I was happy to pay him a higher commission percentage.

In this case, I ended up paying him at the lower rate because the book surpassed all pre-auction estimates and ended up near the high end of my range. My understanding later was that JP and our own Aman169 were the main culprits in driving the price up. But win it I did, which was a great moment when I woke up and checked my emails and saw the good news from Josh.

BB28.jpg

So this is the last book to be posted in this thread. It's been a blast, thanks to everyone for their encouragement!

In this case, I ended up paying him at the lower rate because the book surpassed all pre-auction estimates and ended up near the high end of my range. My understanding later was that JP and our own Aman169 were the main culprits in driving the price up. But win it I did, which was a great moment when I woke up and checked my emails and saw the good news from Josh.

It takes a true collector to still be ecstatic at purchasing a book at double expected FMV, and we're not talking 6K vs 3K either but an absolutely huge number.

It takes a true collector to still be ecstatic at purchasing a book at double expected FMV, and we're not talking 6K vs 3K either but an absolutely huge number.

Never underestimate the power of addiction! :insane:

I pegged the book as just too crazy to pay over 40-45K back then. Thats as high as i went . JP mustve pushed the rest of the way.

It was a sweet book and look at it now... Still the champion by two grades! Guess I was short sighted... AGAIN!