• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tth2's trip down memory lane

587 posts in this topic

Tim,

We're waiting... :taptaptap:

Okay, okay...

Here's JLA #7. Can anyone figure out why it's a rarity? Purchased raw from VIA back in the old days. Sold it in 2004 when I was trying to raise funds for a big purchase.

jla7.jpg

Next up is JLA #5. First came up on Heritage a long time ago, and I was outbid by Acesilver at that time. I had my revenge when I won it when he auctioned off his books in 2005.

JLA5.jpg

Geez Tim,

That #7 looks like it could be better than a 9.2 - corners look good - no obvious defects from the scan. On top of that its well centered and isn't miswrapped :applause:

Even the PQ is excellent!

Geez Tim,

That #7 looks like it could be better than a 9.2 - corners look good - no obvious defects from the scan. On top of that its well centered and isn't miswrapped :applause:

Even the PQ is excellent!

How right you are! When I sold it on Heritage, the winner was Josh Nathanson, who promptly resubbed it and received a 9.4 (with OW-W pages, though). :tonofbricks:

I don't know if he pressed it, but in my opinion he didn't need to in order to get a 9.4. I was really disappointed when I got it back from CGC as a 9.2, as it was a solid 9.4 in my opinion. Unfortunately back in those more naive days I didn't realize how the whole CGC game was supposed to be played. For those who wonder why I have a thing for old label books and think that CGC used to be stricter in those days, this book is Exhibit 1. Exhibit 2 will appear later. Equally nice raw books that I submitted later got 9.6s. :boo:

Tim: I can't believe you had the audacity to take a vacation without access to your scans! Don't you know that we have been anxiously waiting for the continuation of this thread.

I can only hope when you return refreshed you will pick up the pace somewhat.

Tom

Oh, enjoy your time off!

Sorry for the absence, but I'm back with scans, facts and opinions!

JLA #4 was one of the gems of the run, and picked up relatively late in 2008 from a Comiclink auction. One of the toughest JLA issues to find in high grade and still the only 9.4 copy in the Census. This, along with the JLA 10 that I showed earlier, were the books I regretted selling the most when I sold a big chunk of books to the same English buyer.

JLA4-1.jpg

Earlier I described an Atom #4 as the ugliest 9.6 I ever owned. I also showed a JLA #10 as one of the prettiest 9.4s I ever owned. Now here is hands down the ugliest 9.4 I ever owned. First sold by JP to the private collector that I ended up picking up the Western Penn Flash run from, and then acquired by me from that collector. To say I was disappointed when I received the book would be an understatement. Not only does it have the pure cream pages (on an old label, which means it'd probably be tan today), but it's also got some wear at the top edge, and a nutsack crease on the right edge of the front cover, and some other defects that I've erased from my memory. Why did I buy it then, you may ask? Well, at the time, it was the only 9.4 copy in the census. How things change.

I sold it to Acesilver when I was trying to raise money to make a big purchase in 2004. Yes, I did tell him it was an ugly 9.4, but he wanted it anyways (obsession is a powerful force). He sold it when he auctioned his JLAs off in 2005. Heritage suggested that he crack and resub most of his consignment, but they told him not to do so with this copy! lol

To add insult tot injury, #2 is now one of the most common early JLAs in NM. The Census shows 4 copies in 9.6 and 2 in 9.4.

Look, if you dare:

jla2.jpg

The JLA #2 goes to show that CGC had some looser periods in the early days as well.

That being said, nice copy of #4. :applause:

I think they don't penalize nutsack creases that heavily as a manufacturing defect. But it is a really ugly defect that ruins the eye appeal of a book, notwithstanding the structural integrity of the book, and in this case it looks much worse in person than it does in the scan.

The JLA #2 goes to show that CGC had some looser periods in the early days as well.

That being said, nice copy of #4. :applause:

CGC had a "loose" period early on after much person_without_enough_empathying by dealers that is as bad or worse then what we are seeing right now.

Nice books Tim! Have you guys checked out sparkle citys JLA's they are selling on ebay. They are extremely nice, and just came on a few hours ago JLA 13 9.4 White, 7 8.5 White, 21 9.2 OW/W, 9 9.2 OW/W, 29 9.2 OW/W, and about 5 more in ultra HG.